#4595 - Friday, May 11, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2012
      #4595 - Friday, May 11, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      In my work I've emphasized the importance of the word "nonduality", that simply knowing the word is like taking a magical pill that will work its way through your mind to clarify it. Once you learn a new word, you start to see it, and in seeing it you pick up some context and meaning regarding it. You come to understand it. I rarely see anyone talk about the importance of the word nonduality or some form of it. However Fr. Richard Rohr mentions it in the following video clip. He says,

      "[Christians] didn't know how to experience [nonduality], for the most part, except at the mystical level. Of course we've always had the Christian mystics who 'got it.' But we never used the word 'nondual'. We needed the East to give us the word. And once you have the word, the clarification follows afterward, it seems to me." --Fr. Richard Rohr. From the video sample at

       The word nonduality

       by Jerry Katz

      One of my stumblings into nonduality was upon the word itself. One day in the early 80s I was sitting at the counter of a deli in Santa Monica and the guy beside me was reading an oversized leather bound book. I casually asked him what he was reading. He said, “The Upanishads.” I asked him what it was about. He didn’t answer me at first. He looked away, up and down, like he didn’t want to be bothered with me, but also as though he felt obligated to say something. After a few seconds he looked straight into my eyes and said the word as though it were a challenge: “Non-du-al-i-ty.”

      In that way the unspoken power of the word was given to me. Here are 7 reasons why the word nonduality is powerful:

      1. The word nonduality is relatively fresh and untainted by loose-end connotations, such as the words Zen, consciousness, or spirituality are.

      2. The word nonduality, for full understanding, demands its experience, not merely belief.

      3. The word is a key that opens search engines and allows you to encounter, engage, and contribute to a multitude of teachings, conversations, and people.

      4. The word nonduality is a portal, revealing the nondual perspective of many fields of knowledge: literature, psychology, cinema, education, art, physics, neurosciences, ecology, philosophy, mathematics, architecture, dance, music, martial arts, and more.

      5. The word, like any word when it is first heard and valued, is a magnet. Once a person hears the word nonduality, it becomes a magnet drawing attention to other appearances of the word. As well, the user of the word becomes a magnet for others who are sensitive to the appearance of the word nonduality.

      6. The word nonduality is a “red pill.” Recall that in the movie The Matrix, Neo was offered either a blue pill or a red pill. The blue pill would have returned Neo back to his dream world whose unreality he sensed but did not understand. The red pill would have awakened him to who he really was, which would have begun his journey through life and to the source.

      The word nonduality could work as a red pill if you value its meaning enough to follow it as deeply as you can. When Neo was being given his choice of pills, his teacher and mentor Morpheus explained to him:

      "This is your last chance. After this there is no turning back. You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes…. Remember, all I’m offering is the truth, nothing more…."

      7. The word is a pointing to “the seemingly indefinable underlying nature of reality.”

      8. The word is a category holding “the body of works created by those who are open to experiencing life/reality beyond the limiting beliefs and definitions of mind.”

      At one time the word nonduality was essentially unknown to the public. The word belonged to philosophers, scholars in comparative religion, Buddhists, and Hindus. The last 15 years have seen the coming together of world teachers and the Internet, the wide dissemination of the teaching of nonduality in a variety of forms, the waking up of many, and the entry of the words nondual and nonduality -- in numerous languages -- into the spirituality mainstream.

      I hereby declare May 16 as "Use-The-Word-Nonduality Day." So use  some form of the word nonduality in your conversations with friends, family, strangers, and co-workers, and in that way pass around the key to a more sane way of living.