#4584 - Sunday, April 29, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4584, Sunday, April 29, 2011

      We Might Have To Medicate You

      Resist your temptation to lie
      By speaking of separation from God,

      Otherwise,
      We might have to medicate
      You.

      In the ocean
      A lot goes on beneath your eyes.

      Listen,
      They have clinics there too
      For the insane
      Who persist in saying things like:

      "I am independent from the
      Sea,
      God is not always around
      Gently
      Pressing against
      My body."

      - Hafiz, from: The Gift, translated by Daniel Ladinsky

      Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

      Chapter 1

      I walk down the street.
      There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
      . I fall in.
      I am lost ... I am helpless.
      It isn't my fault.
      It takes forever to find a way out.

      Chapter 2

      I walk down the same street.
      There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
      . I pretend I don't see it.
      I fall in again.
      I can't believe I am in the same place
      . But it isn't my fault.
      It still takes a long time to get out.

      Chapter 3

      I walk down the same street.
      There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
      I see it is there.
      I still fall in ... it's a habit.
      My eyes are open.
      I know where I am.
      It is my fault.
      I get out immediately.

      Chapter 4

      I walk down the same street.
      There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
      I walk around it.

      Chapter 5

      I walk down another street.

      - Portia Nelson, posted to The_Now2

      Your love lifts my soul
      from the body to the sky
      And you lift me up
      out of the two worlds.
      I want your sun
      to reach my raindrops,
      So your heat can raise my soul
      upward like a cloud.

      - Rumi

      In all the great religions it talks about the transparency of the wise man, of the sage. What it means is that when a stimulus comes to you from another person, instead of rushing out from your centre to meet it, and defending yourself against it if it's undesirable, or dragging it in if it's desirable, you deliberately let it go through you, saying to yourself,

      "This is not my infinitely originating self-creative being. It is an external so I will let it go through. I will literally let it go through."

      The 'cept' in percept and concept is from a word meaning to capture. When the stimulus comes to you from anyone at all you tend to grab, to hold it while you examine it, and at the very moment of holding it you have created an object which wasn't there until you grabbed at it. The conceptual world is a world created by people who, through fear, through anxiety, grab at every energy as it comes in.

      Now the wise man says don't grab, let the stimulus come, and count it for what it is ... a phenomenon: simply a form not originating in your infinitely originative being, but coming from beyond your unique being, and therefore to which you will say, I open the door, you can go through. Rather like when you're on the motorway and somebody overtakes you in the fog at ninety miles an hour and you wind the window down and say, pass, friend, on your way to death. You let them go and you don't emulate their behaviour.

      Think about this, because it is the most important psychological trick you could possibly know about. To make yourself transparent to insult, and to praise, offered to you from outside your being. Lay not that flattering unction to your soul, and don't be injured by insults thrown at you by other people ... who have their own problems anyway.

      - Eugene Halliday, posted to The_Now2

      LOVE

      When your mind becomes motionless
      and the brilliant eyes of the peaceful mind
      take a straight look down into the depth of your heart
      you will see the life-force pulsating and thriving
      in the warmth of pure love.

      As you experience this pure love
      what we all call "heart"
      beams of light will begin to radiate from the center of it
      for heaven is there in eternity.

      If you can release this radiance of love
      and allow it to flow through you,
      your heart will become light.
      The spirit will get liberated into the air
      and then, from a place of inner stillness
      you will know what it would be like
      to be an eagle and soar in the evening skies.

      And most of all,
      you would understand
      what it would be like
      to be perfectly sane.

      - Bhante Wimala

      In love, nothing exists between heart and heart.
      Speech is born out of longing,
      True description from the real taste.
      The one who tastes, knows;
      the one who explains, lies.
      How can you describe the true form of Something
      In whose presence you are blotted out?
      And in whose being you still exist?
      And who lives as a sign for your journey?

      - Rabia al Basri

      Nonexistence
      within existence
      is my Rule
      getting lost
      in getting lost
      my Religion.

      - Ayn al-Qozat Hamadani

      At first
      I was irridescent
      Then
      I became transparent
      Finally
      I was absent

      - Paul Kantner from the song Starship, from the album Blows Against the Empire

      Enlightenment is a Gamble

      Time to cash in your chips
      put your ideas and beliefs on the table.
      See who has the bigger hand
      you or the Mystery that pervades you.

      Time to scrape the mind's shit
      off your shoes
      undo the laces
      that hold your prison together
      and dangle your toes into emptiness.

      Once you've put everything
      on the table
      once all of your currency is gone
      and your pockets are full of air
      all you've got left to gamble with
      is yourself.

      Go ahead, climb up onto the velvet top
      of the highest stakes table.
      Place yourself as the bet.
      Look God in the eyes
      and finally
      for once in your life
      lose.

      - Adyashanti from My Secret is Silence: Poetry and Sayings of Adyashanti

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2012

        Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4584, Sunday, April 29, 2011

        Mother of us all

        Mother-of-us-all prays to free us
        from our image of perfection
        to which so much suffering clings.

        When in the shadowy mind
        we imagine ourselves imperfectly,
        praying to be freed from gravity
        by enlightenment, she refines our prayers.

        Putting her arms around us
        she bids us rest our head on her shoulder
        whispering, don't you know
        with all your fear and anger
        all you are fit for is love.

        - Stephine Levine, from Breaking the Drought, posted to allspirit

        Perceptions

        For a moment I saw a beautiful moving river.
        Then a vast water with no means of crossing it.

        For a moment, I saw a bush full of opening buds.
        Then no roses, no thorns, nothing.

        For a moment I saw a busy cooking fire.
        Then no hearth, no smoke, no flame.

        I saw the great mother of kings, Kunti.
        Then, the next moment, sitting here, is
        the helpless old aunt of the potter's wife.

        - Lalla, posted to AlongTheWay

        First there is a mountain,
        Then there is no mountain,
        Then there is.

        - Donovan

        The Allman Frothers - Mountain Jam from Eat a Peach:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuNz2idDtY

        When all the false self-identifications are thrown away, what remains is all-embracing love.

        That this entire phenomenal show of the universe has no purpose indicates the obvious futility of seeking a goal in life. No sooner is a goal conceived than spontaneity is at once destroyed and the self conscious ego takes over in destructive competition against everything that comes, thus missing all that is worthwhile in life. It is, indeed, the "purposeful" life which entirely misses out on the purpose of life! The true purposeless vision misses nothing and enjoys everything without inhibition.

        The past is long gone
        from here
        there is no way back
        how could there be