#4571 - Sunday, April 15, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4571, Sunday, April 15, 2012

      The Lover is the Beloved.
      The subject of your search is the object,
      and so you will never find it.
      The only way to love Self
      is to BE IT!

      - Papaji, from The Truth Is, posted to AlongTheWay

      The Beloved is all, the lover just a veil.
      The Beloved is living, the lover a dead thing.
      If Love withholds its strengthening care,
      the lover is left like a bird without wings.
      How will I be awake and aware if the light of the Beloved is absent?
      Love wills that this Word be brought forth.
      If you find the mirror of the heart dull,
      the rust has not been cleared from its face.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi: I:30-34, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight

      When you start to see the light that you really are,
      the light waking up in you, the radiance,
      you realize it has no intention to change you.

      It has no intention to harmonize.
      It has no agenda.
      It just happens.

      The Truth is the only thing you'll ever run into that has no agenda. Everything
      else will have an agenda.

      That is why the Truth is so powerful.
      Give up your agendas and continue to expose yourself (to the Truth), and
      harmonization will naturally occur.

      Freedom is the realization
      that this deep, deep peace
      and this unknown
      are what you are.
      Everything else is just an extension of that unknown.

      Bodies are just an extension of that unknown.
      The trees outside are just an extension of the unknown
      in time, in form.
      Thought and feeling are also extensions of the unknown in time.
      The whole visible universe, in fact,
      is just an extension in time of this unknown,
      this mountain of quiet.

      So it's really important to get to the point of maturity
      where you are willing to look at what is fundamental.
      There is a difference between pulling the weeds of confusion out
      and getting to the root of Truth.

      Did, you ever pull weeds from a lawn, grabbing only their tops,
      and discover they were back again so quickly
      that it was as if the lawn was never weeded at all?
      Clearing out identification is like this.

      - Adyashanti from Emptiness Dancing, posted to The_Now2

      The great teachers of humanity become streams of love.

      Bowl of Saki, April 15, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      Forgiveness is a stream of love which washes away all impurities wherever it flows. By keeping this spring of love, which is in the heart of man, running, man is able to forgive, however great the fault of his fellow man may seem. One who cannot forgive closes his heart. The sign of spirituality is that there is nothing you cannot forgive, there is no fault you cannot forget.

      The great personalities who have descended on earth from time to time to awaken in man that love, which is his divine inheritance, have always found an echo in innocent souls rather than in great intellects. Man often confuses wisdom with cleverness, but a man can be clever and not wise, and by cleverness a person may strive and strive, and yet not reach God. It is a stream, the stream of love, which leads towards God. ... Law has no power to stand before love; the stream of love sweeps it away. When the woman accused by everyone was brought before Christ, what arose from the heart of the master? The law? No, it was love in the form of mercy and compassion.

      In correcting a mureed of his faults it is not the intellect that is of much use. It is the pouring out of the stream of love which can wash away the stains; closing one's eyes to their faults, forgiving them, and yet correcting them with all tolerance, gentleness, and humility; making before them all things natural, nothing too horrible, but showing them the picture of a better life and thus drawing them toward that which is ideal and beautiful. When the teacher finds that the mureed is wrong he will not tell him that he is wrong, but will show him what is right.

      The great teachers and prophets, and the inspirers of humanity of all times have not become what they were by their miracles or wonder-workings; these belong to other people. The main thing that could be seen in them was their loving manner. ... One may ask: How to cultivate the heart quality? There is only one way: to become selfless at each step one takes forward on this path, for what prevents one from cultivating the loving quality is the thought of self. The more we think of our self the less we think of others.

      There is no greater magnetic power than love. Its magnetic power is very great. It changes a person's voice, his heart, his manner, his form, his movement, his activity, everything becomes changed. What a difference between water and rock; that smoothness and that liquid state of being, the rise and fall of the surface of the water compared with the rigidity of the rock! The great teachers of humanity become streams of love. It is the first sign of the sage or holy man that he himself becomes love. His voice, his feeling, his presence, everything makes one realize that there is something open in him which we do not find in everybody; this something is his deep love.

      - posted to SufiMystic

      What Hurts the Soul?

      We tremble, thinking we're about to dissolve
      into non-existence, but non-existence fears
      even more that it might be given human form!

      Loving God is the only pleasure.
      Other delights turn bitter.

      What hurts the soul?
      To live without tasting
      the water of its own essence.

      People focus on death and this material earth.
      They have doubts about soul-water.
      Those doubts can be reduced!

      Use night to wake your clarity.
      Darkness and the living water are lovers.
      Let them stay up together.

      When merchants eat their big meals and sleep
      their dead sleep, we night-thieves go to work.

      -Rumi, Mathnawi I: 3684-3692, version by Coleman Barks from Say I Am You, posted to Sunlight