#4570 - Saturday, April 14, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4570, Saturday, April 14, 2011

      Freedom is freedom from worry. Having realized that you cannot influence the results, pay no attention to your desires and fears. Let them come and go. Don't give them the nourishment of interest and attention.

      Can you coax your mind from its wandering
      and keep to the original oneness?
      Can you let your body become
      supple as a newborn child's?
      Can you cleanse your inner vision
      until you see nothing but the light?
      Can you love people and lead them
      without imposing your will?
      Can you deal with the most vital matters
      by letting events take their course?
      Can you step back from you own mind
      and thus understand all things?

      Giving birth and nourishing,
      having without possessing,
      acting with no expectations,
      leading and not trying to control:
      this is the supreme virtue.

      - from the Tao Te Ching as translated by Stephen Mitchell, posted to The_Now2

      First, lay down your head
      then one by one
      let go of all distractions.
      Embrace the light and let it guide you
      beyond the winds of desire.
      There you will find a spring and
      nourished by its sweet waters
      like a tree you will bear fruit forever.

      - Rumi, from Rumi: Hidden Music, translated by Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi, posted to AlongTheWay

      You may believe that this whole universe is a dream and all human beings mere dreamed characters within that dream, but so long as you yourself remain outside that dream and view it as an individual separate from it, you cannot approach closer to the Truth.

      Do I prefer to grow up and relate to life directly, or do I choose to live and die in fear?

      - Pema Chödrön

      "Sublime Generosity"

      I was dead, then alive.
      Weeping, then laughing.

      The power of love came into me,
      and I became fierce like a lion,
      then tender like the evening star.

      He said, "You're not mad enough.
      You don't belong in this house."

      I went wild and had to be tied up.
      He said, "Still not wild enough
      to stay with us!"

      I broke through another layer
      into joyfulness.

      He said, "It's not enough."
      I died.

      He said, "You're a clever little man,
      full of fantasy and doubting."

      I plucked out my feathers and became a fool.
      He said, "Now you're the candle
      for this assembly."

      But I'm no candle. Look!
      I'm scattered smoke.

      He said, "You are the sheikh, the guide."
      But I'm not a teacher, I have no power.

      He said, "You already have wings.
      I cannot give you wings."

      But I wanted his wings.
      I felt like some flightless chicken.

      Then new events said to me,
      "Don't move. A sublime generosity is
      coming toward you."

      And old love said, "Stay with me."

      I said, "I will."

      You are the fountain of the sun's light.
      I am a willow shadow on the ground.
      You make my raggedness silky.

      The soul at dawn is like darkened water
      that slowly begins to say "Thank you, thank you."

      Then at sunset, again, Venus gradually
      changes into the moon and then the whole nightsky.

      This comes of smiling back
      at your smile.

      The chess master says nothing,
      other than moving the silent chess piece.

      That I am part of the ploys
      of this game makes me
      amazingly happy.

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 1393, version by Colman Barks from The Essential Rumi, posted to Sunlight