#4559 - Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 5:39 AM
      #4559 - Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      This issues features announcement of Vicki Woodyard's brilliant new book, A Guru in The Guest Room. No one writes about nondual consciousness with such large doses of humour -- and chocolate chips -- as does Vicki.

      Amazon.com link:

      A Guru in The Guest Room

      by Vicki Woodyard

      Just Not Sayin'

      Review by Jerry Katz

      A Guru in the Guest Room is a collection of writings by Vicki Woodyard about her fictional housemate, Swami Z. It includes a small cast of characters including Vicki herself. They attend satsangs, and even satsnag, with Swami Z.

      Like the movie actor in The Purple Rose of Cairo who stepped out of the movie screen and into the real world, Swami Z steps out of the book:

      “Vicki has a good sense of humor when she writes about me, but when she leaves the computer, she forgets how funny being human is. She mopes around with the best of them.”

      And although Swami Z has a cookie habit that “would sicken more than it would heal,” this cookie dough that is A Guru In The Guest Room consists of humor, wisdom, and cool chips of reality. But, Vicki points out, “Cookie-making is a messy thing. I swear we have sugar rings in the bathtub.”

      Thanks to that messiness, there is lots of life in this book. Through it all, the eye of wisdom never blinks. Is that the eye painted onto Ruin, the stick pony? Some say Ruin is the true Guru in the book.

      Who is the true Guru? What was Swami Z’s response to Vicki’s question, Who am I? Did Larry really sell Ruin on eBay? What does it mean to chew the scenery instead of the cookies?

      Maybe it all comes down to what Vicki calls her direct path: “Loving the script and the characters.” Speaking of which, one of the characters in this book is one of the greatest fictional Gurus in history. I’m just not saying who it is.

      More blurbs for A Guru In The Guest Room

      “This is a touching and heartfelt story that both entertains and teaches. It’s funny, too! Where else will you hear about a guru calling his satsang attendees, “my peeps?” In an age where so many books on enlightenment leave out the human element, this hits you in the face with it. It is balanced between transcendence and plain old, beautiful, ugly humanness. The story takes you through the trials and tribulations of awakening, the confusion, the doubt, the ego, and the egolessness. Don’t be fooled by the fact that it’s in story form. It contains page after page of delicious cookies of wisdom. Enjoy it! Books on enlightenment don’t always get this real in order to show you the unreal. It ends with the deepest wisdom of all, wrapped up in such plain English that you may not know what hit you.” Scott Kiloby, author of Living Realization and The Natural Rest Method, www.kiloby.com

      Swami Z’s late-in-the-alphabet name hints that this constructed image can be the last such image a reader would need. His various roles in the book invite you to stand up tall and step forward. Greg Goode, author of Standing As Awareness and Direct Path: A User Guide

      Prasad from a Pez Dispenser

      by Vicki Woodyard

      I met Swami Z today in the Sleep Department at Macy’s and I am in love. After taking many incarnations (and often subways) to achieve enlightenment, I now find a man who is giving it away for free. And his kindness is such that if you don’t like it, he will also take it back. I tell you, I was taken aback. There is nothing that this Swami of the Jammies will not do. He allows anyone to attend satsang. And I mean anyone—even if they are wearing robes and calling themselves silly names. You can bring your blanket and suck your thumb. You can suck his thumb; he doesn’t care.

      I had one question that I wanted Swami Z to answer. Would I be getting enlightened this lifetime? Of course I would, I was told. As soon as he took his groupies to lunch. I’m sorry—what he really said was, “You groupies are out to lunch!”

      What I totally love about Swami Z is his ability to dispense junk food while remaining blissfully unaware of the calories. No other guru knows so little about what is good for you. His magnanimity is matched only by his paunch. I am quite paunch-drunk, in love, bowled over by this guru giving satsang while counting his sheep. Some gurus would shear them, but not Swami Z.

      He asked me what I wanted for Christmas and when I told him that I wanted all the children of the world to be fed one decent meal, he offered to make it for them. Sad, but true. His cookie habit would sicken more than it would heal. I tried to question him about his life pre-enlightenment, but he said that like everything else in his life, it was a snore. I wanted more. He thought I said “Smores,” because he has those, too.

      I said, “Can you tell me what life as a child was like for you?”

      “Of course,” he said, rummaging through his box of Cocoa Puffs with a misty eye. “Of course I can, but I won’t.” And that pretty much sums up the teaching.

      A Guru in The Guest Room