#4548 - Friday, March 23, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2012
      #4548 - Friday, March 23, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Meetings in Doorn (The Netherlands), London (U.K.), and Halifax (Canada) are described, with videos and readings.

      Attend Euro SAND 2012 in Doorn, The Netherlands
      May 29 - June 3
      I will be moderating a panel on The Business of Nonduality. Have you ever wanted to talk about the topic of money and nonduality? This will be the first time for such an open discussion, with as many audience questions as time will allow.
      Our last video promoting the event: http://youtu.be/zGv1Nay2z-U
      Our new Rupert Spira DVD trailer:   http://youtu.be/HQHBjei-F5I

      Meetings with Nathan Gill

      Dates: Wednesday 28th March 2012, Wednesday 18th April 2012

      Times: 7 pm to 9 pm

      Venue: The Philadelphia Association, 4 Marty's Yard, 17 Hampstead High Street, London NW3 1QW

      Cost: £10 at the door

      by Nathan Gill
      Until I was about 25 years old, I had no interest in spiritual matters and all I
      knew about them was what I had learned in religious education lessons at
      Around 1985 I joined a fraternal order which sent me regular monthly lessons
      in mysticism and ‘universal law’.
      After a couple of years I found it a bit stodgy and became interested in the
      teachings of a deceased Indian teacher offered, again, in monthly lessons,
      and also a guru-disciple relationship – even though he was already dead!
      A couple of years and several spiritual techniques later, I was bored with it
      and happened upon a book by a western guru. This book told me that I was
      already awake and needed no liberation. The truth of what he was saying
      was obvious. However, he then went on, (in the next few years and over the
      course of quite a few books), to proclaim himself the world teacher and
      offered a guru-disciple relationship with those who were interested.
      Well, I was having none of it, although over the following five years I read a
      few more of his books and just about every other spiritual book I could get my
      hands on. But, nothing really cut it for me like this western guru’s book had
      done. Somewhere in me I knew it was true; that I was already awake and
      free but, I was still confused because I seemed to be just an ordinary bloke
      with all the usual sorts of problems that ordinary people have.
      Anyway, I got sick of this guy’s stuff and everyone else’s and then I hit the
      Advaita scene. I read everything by and about Ramana Maharshi, Jean Klein
      and Nisargadatta Maharaj and everything by Ramesh Balseker.
      A lot of the confusion that I had felt before went. I understood that all there is
      is Consciousness, but why did I still feel like a separate me? What was the
      missing link? If I was already awake and free then why did my life seem like a
      pile of dung?
      In 1997 I read Tony Parson’s first book called “The Open Secret”. I contacted
      him and he invited me to join a discussion at a private house in London.
      I went along and sat in the crowded room and it became clear to me how
      much mystique I had built around the whole ‘enlightenment’ drama.
      Tony looked like an ordinary man. He spoke with humour and patience. I
      listened to what he said in response to people’s questions and I was struck by
      the simplicity and clarity of his answers. I went to more discussions over the
      next year and spoke to Tony on the phone whenever I could.
      I wanted to make him into my ‘teacher’ but he explained that he had nothing
      to teach, that there was nothing to learn. He pointed out that there is only
      Consciousness and that I am already that. Although I had accepted this
      already, it really began to sink in. Tony pointed out that there need not be any
      kind of ‘event’ associated with the recognition of your nature as
      Well, as it happened, in September 1998 an event did occur. I was gardening
      and it was drizzling with rain. I looked up and there was a subtle sense of ‘me’
      not being there. I got on my bike and cycled around the lanes and it seemed
      like there was a movie going on without any effort needed on my behalf to be
      taking part in it.
      Even though Tony had pointed out that no event is necessarily associated
      with the recognition of your nature as Consciousness, I had obviously still
      been subtly waiting for one because now that this event, or experience, was
      occurring I gave myself ‘permission’ to be awake. I had been waiting for
      I rang Tony and excitedly explained what was going on and, having given
      myself ‘permission’ to be awake, I allowed myself to speak from the clarity of
      understanding that had already unfolded during the process of my seeking
      before the event took place. I no longer related as a seeker to Tony and he
      recognised that I now spoke from my nature as Consciousness.
      Now, having associated this experience with being awake, I started to get a
      bit precious about it.
      I woke the next day. Was it still there? Yes! Then, after a few days, I noticed
      that the experience was wearing off a bit, but a couple of days later it was full
      on again. After a couple of weeks of the experience coming and going and of
      trying to hold on to it, I went to one of Tony’s discussions and the experience
      seemed to be re-charged by being there but then a few days later the
      experience disappeared altogether. I didn’t say anything to Tony about it and
      I didn’t go to the meetings for a while. I felt confused again.
      Then I happened to read a book called “Collision with the Infinite” by a woman
      called Suzanne Segal who, over many years, had an experience going on
      constantly. After several years it was confirmed by certain ‘teachers’ that it
      was ‘enlightenment’. Then she got ill and died, and, in the afterword to
      Suzanne’s book which was written by a therapist friend of hers, I read that
      near the end she had become confused and frustrated because the
      experience had left her.
      That was it! Suddenly it was absolutely clear to me that these experiences – I
      call them transcendental events or experiences – actually have nothing to do
      with clarity. A transcendental experience can last a few seconds or ten years
      or maybe even the rest of your life, but a transcendental experience is just
      that. An experience. Many people have had these experiences and then the
      experience is gone and often the person is left with a desire for more of it.
      They think they have been given a taste of ‘enlightenment’, when all that has
      happened is that they have had a transcendental experience. Walking down
      the street is an experience, but it’s an ordinary one so you don’t go looking for
      more of it.
      The confusion was gone. I knew what I am without any doubt and it was
      obvious that I already had been that all my life. I no longer required any
      transcendental experience to prove it to me.
      The whole of my ‘spiritual’ search had been added on to what I already am
      and I also understood why people are confused around this whole issue. Why
      they confuse ‘spirituality’ with clarity. This recognition of my true nature was
      not associated with any transcendental event or experience. It was clear that
      a transcendental experience of any kind is easily confusing if it occurs before
      you recognise with clarity your nature as Consciousness.
      It is obvious that the transcendental event that was experienced had nothing
      to do with clarity of recognition. The occurrence of the event brought my
      confusion to a head and allowed me to see clearly how I had been subtly
      waiting for an event as permission to be what I already am.
      I see now that no transcendental event has any significance in the light of the
      plain, ordinary, everyday clarity of what you really are.
      ~ ~ ~

      Read the entire book here:

      Nonduality Satsang
      Halifax, Nova Scotia
      Monday, March 26, 2012
      "Realization is simply being oneself." -Ramana Maharshi. What does that mean?
      We will consider the following brief reading from Ramana Maharshi:

      "Self - Realization

      "The state we call realization is simply being oneself, not knowing anything or becoming anything. If one has realized, he is that which alone is, and which alone has always been. He cannot describe that state. He can only be That. Of course, we loosely talk of Self-realization for want of a better term.

      "That which is, is peace. All that we need do is to keep quiet. Peace is our real nature. We spoil it. What is required is that we cease to spoil it." -Ramana Maharshi

      There is no charge for this event, however if your budget allows, a $5 donation is invited, which goes toward the rental of the space. More importantly, if you are serious about what takes place here, we would like to meet you.
      With warm regards,

      Chani, James, Dustin, and Jerry

      For further details please visit