#4529 - Saturday, March 3, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4529, Saturday, March 3, 2011

      The scriptures even proclaim aloud: "There is in truth no creation and no destruction; no one is bound, no one is seeking Liberation, no one is on the way to Deliverance. There are none liberated. This is the absolute truth." My dear disciple, this, the sum and substance of all the Upanishads, the secret of secrets, is my instruction to you.

      - Shankaracharya, from Teachings of the Hindu Mystics, edited by Andrew Harvey, posted to AlongTheWay

      The Buddha said that we are never separated from enlightenment. Even at the times we feel most stuck, we are never alienated from the awakened state. This is a revolutionary assertion. Even ordinary people like us with hangups and confusion have this mind of enlightenment called bodhicitta. The openness and warmth of bodhicitta is in fact our true nature and condition.

      - Pema Chödrön, posted to DailyDharma

      A man who moves with the earth will necessarily experience days and nights. He who stays with the sun will know no darkness. My world is not yours. As I see it, you all are on a stage performing. There is no reality about your comings and goings. And your problems are so unreal!

      Sometimes I feel like a king,
      sometimes I moan in my own prison.
      Swaying between these states
      I can't be proud of myself.
      This "I" is a figment of my imagination.

      - Rumi posted to The_Now2

      Dying, Laughing

      A lover was telling his beloved
      how much he loved her, how faithful
      he had been, how self-sacrificing, getting
      wealth and strength and fame, all for her.

      There was a fire in him.
      He didn't know where it came from,
      but it made him weep and melt like a candle.

      "You've done well," she said, " but listen to me.
      All this is the décor of love, the branches
      and leaves and blossoms. You must live
      at the root to be a true lover."

      "Where is that!
      Tell me!"
      "You've done the outward acts,
      but you haven't died. You must die."

      When he heard that, he lay back on the ground
      laughing, and died. He opened like a rose
      that drops to the ground and died laughing.

      That laughter was his freedom
      and his gift to the eternal.

      As moonlight shines back at the sun,
      he heard the call to come home, and went.

      When light returns to its source
      it takes nothing of what is has illuminated.

      It may have shone on a garbage dump, or a garden,
      or in the center of a human eye. No matter.

      It goes, and when it does
      the open plain becomes passionately desolate,
      wanting it back.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi V: 1242-64, version by Coleman Barks from The Essential Rumi, posted to Sunlight