#4524 - Saturday, February 25, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4524, Saturday, February 25, 2011

      All the peace and happiness of the whole globe,
      the peace and happiness of societies,
      the peace and happiness of family,
      the peace and happiness in the individual persons' life,
      and the peace and happiness of even the animals and so forth,
      all depends on having loving kindness toward each other.

      - Lama Zopa Rinpoche, posted to DailyDharma

      We should ask God
      To help us toward manners. Inner gifts
      Do not find their way
      To creatures without just respect.

      If a man or a woman flails about, he not only
      Smashes his house,
      He burns the world down.

      Your depression is connected to your insolence
      And your refusal to praise. If a man or a woman is
      On the path, and refuses to praise - that man or woman
      Steals from others every day - in fact is a shoplifter!

      The sun became full of light when it got hold of itself.
      Angels began shining when they achieved discipline.
      The sun goes out whenever the cloud of non-praising comes
      near.
      The moment that foolish angel felt insolent, he heard the
      door close.

      - Rumi, version by Robert Bly, based on a translation by R.A. Nicholson, from The Soul Is Here For Its Own Joy, posted to Sunlght

      To the Prophet, this world is plunged in glorification of God,
      while to us it is heedless.
      To his eye this world is filled with abundant love;
      to the eyes of others it is inert and lifeless.
      To his eye, valley and hill are in fluid motion:
      he hears subtle discourses from sod and bricks.
      To the vulgar, this whole world is a dead thing in chains.
      I have never seen a veil of blindness more amazing than this.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi IV: 3532-3535, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance,, posted to Sunlight

      Every experience in life is an invitation - an
      invitation to awaken into an Awareness of the
      essential nature of Reality - and who you really are.

      - Metta Zetty

      At this time in our present history we have the ability to be conscious of the stories we have been taught and how they define us, as well as the stories we unquestionably have believed about who another is. And we can take responsibility for the result. We can marvel when we discover that the stories of previously demonized others (enemies) are as beautiful and multi-layered as our own. We mature when we see that some of the stories cherished as the foundation of a culture are revealed to be flimsy and insubstantial and sometimes outright false. One generation's true and defining story can be proved to be a lie in the next generation. Stories that celebrate freedom and revolution against tyranny can turn on themselves and become stories of reigns of terror.

      We recognize the location of the story in our flesh and emotions. From this recognition choice is born. We have most often either chosen to continue the given story or to rebel against that story. Naturally we have been thrilled to discover that we can choose to live a different story, one we feel more in alignment with. There is yet another choice. We have the capacity to take a moment and release all stories. We can experience what it means to be nobody.

      Underneath all the stories, we can experience that deep core of ourselves that is historyless, genderless and parentless. That presence is unencumbered by relationships and has no past and no future. In the core of our beingness we are free of definitions. Unencumbered by our definitions we experience ourselves as conscious intelligence aware of itself as open, endless space. This instant of being storyless is an instant of freedom. For even if our story is filled with light and beauty, to the degree that we define ourselves through that story, we are less free.

      After such a moment, stories are never the same. They can be present, as they most likely will be, but they no longer have inherent power to define us. The inner wealth that is available to us is then not limited or augmented by particular inner or outer events. While the personality or the "creatureness" of each individual continues just as stories continue, the underlying awareness, the true "I" has come home to itself.

      - Gangaji, excerpt from Hidden Treasure: Uncovering the Truth in Your Life Story