#4521 - Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2012
      #4521 - Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights
      -

      JIM CONRAD’S NATURALIST NEWSLETTER
      Issued from Hacienda Chichen Resort adjoining Chichén
      Itzá Ruin in Yucatán, MÉXICO

      January 22, 2012

      This week the first flower appeared. It's shown at
      http://www.backyardnature.net/n/12/120122tm.jpg

      I've sat a long time looking at that flower, its self-
      confident, swooped-back, yellow petals, its strange-
      looking, joined-by-their-margins anthers dribbling
      pollen from pores at downward-directed anther tips,
      and the long, silvery, rather haphazardly arrayed
      hairs. How could such a tender, perfect presence arise
      from such a depressing relationship?

      Is reality like two people irresistibly drawn together
      who then hurt one another, or like a seed that
      germinates into a plant that grows and evolves, until
      one day you have an exquisite little flower? This
      week, with the plants outside the hut door putting on
      more and more flowers every day and stretching,
      stretching toward the sky, I've thought about that a
      lot. Here's what I've decided:

      It's both. It's just that damaged feelings are a
      subset of the greater paradigm of the vivacious tomato
      seedling.

      I mean, even the tomato flower's gorgeous yellow
      corolla must shrivel, turn brown and fall away
      (exactly like our relationship!) before the ovary
      expands, grows and ripens to eventually become a
      tomato. And then the tomato must be eaten for its
      destiny to be fulfilled (vanishing like our
      relationship!), and then the vine itself will die
      (die!). But the impulse that brought the tomato vine
      about in the first place (and draws people together)
      will continue and somehow, I suspect, be even more
      vital in the future than before.

      Yin, yang, ever dancing through time and space,
      generating broken hearts and tomatoes so lush and
      poignantly alive with promise that one must cry
      beholding it. And, yin, yang, ever dancing through
      time and space, and you must see the humor in it all,
      the need to laugh uproariously at the whole thing, if
      you are to get through this life with any semblance of
      dignity.

      *****

      Best wishes to all Newsletter Readers.
      Jim

      Subscribe AND unsubscribe to this Newsletter at
      http://www.backyardnature.net/news/natnat.php

      Post your own backyard-nature observations and pix at
      http://groups.google.com/group/backyard-nature/

      All previous Newsletters are archived at
      http://www.backyardnature.net/n/

      Visit Jim’s backyard-nature site at
      http://www.backyardnature.net