#4520 - Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2012
      #4520 - Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights
      -

      Good and Evil

      by Colin Drake

      The first thing to be said is that good and evil are not objective realities, but are subjective concepts. They vary greatly in different religious, cultural, racial, national and tribal settings. There are many behaviours that are (or were) considered to be good (or OK) in one of these, whilst considered to be evil in others. Examples are adultery, cannibalism, pedophilia, torture, homosexuality, meat-eating, bigamy, etc., the list is almost endless. So there is no point considering whether any of these are ‘good’ or ‘evil’, instead I will consider what motivates, or the cause of, these behaviours.

      It seems to me that the ultimate motive behind all activity, other than that associated with preservation and procreation, is to achieve happiness and fulfillment; as the Dalai Lama said: ‘I believe the purpose of life is to be happy’. For as the purpose of creation is for the enjoyment of the Absolute (Consciousness), and we are all instruments (and manifestations) of This, then it stands to reason that we should create as much joy in our lives as possible. However, if we misidentify ourselves as being separate objects, in a universe of separate objects, then we are liable to treat others as objects which can be used for our enjoyment. This can lead to disregarding the suffering of others and, in the extreme case, actually deriving enjoyment from this. It is easily seen that this can be the prescription for many ‘evil’ forms of behaviour.

      So, as is the case with many of our mind-states and actions, living in a useful happy way is reliant on self-identity, “who am I?”

      If we realize that we are manifestations. and instruments (see appendix), of Consciousness and that the purpose of creation is for the enjoyment of the Absolute (Consciousness) then we will naturally tend to create as much joy in our lives as possible. Moreover, when we find a way to enable others to enjoy their lives more this is as valuable, in fact more valuable if we can facilitate this for a group, as creating joy for ourselves.

      When we look at the sources of joy and fulfilment there are sensual pleasures, entertainments, achieving goals, helping others, the sheer joy of experiencing ‘what is’ here and now, loving one’s fellow beings and pointing to ‘awakening’, being creative, etc., etc. The first four of these are available to everyone whereas the next two are more likely to be experienced by those who have awakened. The last, creativity, is a natural urge as Consciousness is endlessly creating (and destroying); so as manifestations of this we share this attribute. When thwarted our innate creativity can transform into destructivity caused by frustration and lack of acknowledgement. Take the case of Hitler who was rejected when he applied to enter Art College, and thus sought to put his stamp on the world in different, and destructive, ways.

      It says in the Upanishads that all acts are performed by The Self (Awareness, Brahman) for the sake of The Self and love of The Self. Their ‘flavour’ is caused by the relative wisdom or ignorance of the ‘actor’, the instrument committing them. So it seems to me that ‘good’ and ‘evil’ acts stem from the same motivation and their outward expression is dependent on the degree of awareness that the perpetrator exhibits. The former by those who exhibit some degree of awakening, wisdom, and identification with the Totality (Consciousness, Brahman); whereas, the latter are more likely to be committed by those who are relatively ‘asleep’, ignorant, or identified as a separate object in a universe of such.

      The natural corollary to this is that if we awaken, by realizing that we are Pure Awareness (the constant conscious subjective presence), and cultivate this awakening by remaining identified as (and with) This, then we tend to become a force for ‘good’, peace, harmony, positivity and creativity. Whereas, if we remain asleep, identified as an object in a universe of objects, we could become a force for ‘evil’, violence, discord, negativity and destructivity.

      Appendix: Instruments of The Absolute

       If you sit quietly noticing the sensations in (and on the surface of) your body, you can easily see that these occur, are detected by the nervous system and then are seen by awareness, i.e. you become aware of them.

      In the same vein you can notice that sounds occur, are detected by the ears, and then are seen by awareness.

      Sights occur, are detected by the eyes, and then are seen by awareness.

      Aromas occur, are detected by the nose, and then are seen by awareness.

      Flavours occur, are detected by the taste buds and then are seen by awareness.

      Thoughts occur, are detected by the mind, and then are seen by awareness.

      Mental images occur, are detected by the mind, and then are seen by awareness.

      Therefore the physical mind/body is an instrument through which awareness (consciousness at rest) can sense and contemplate the physical manifestation of cosmic energy (consciousness in motion, or motion in consciousness).

      So the body/mind is an instrument through which awareness can experience the physical world, for experience is awareness of thoughts/mental images/sensations.

      The body/mind is also an instrument through which awareness can interact with, and enjoy, the universal manifestation of cosmic energy.

      Thus the body/mind is an instrument through which consciousness can ‘know itself’ when manifest as the physical world, that is when in motion.

      The human mind has the added advantage of being capable of ‘self realization’ that is of realizing the deeper level of ‘pure awareness’, consciousness at rest, the unmanifest.

      Therefore the human mind/body is an instrument through which consciousness can ‘know itself’ in both ‘modes’: at rest and in motion. That is as ‘pure awareness’ and as the physical universe.

      Colin Drake's books are available at

      If you haven't seen it yet, this video is excellent:

      Pink Panther Teaches Non-Duality

      In his lifetime, Alan Watts was a speaker and writer who interpreted Eastern thought for the West – primarily Hinduism, Taoism, Vedanta, and Zen Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoisim. Buddhism, Taoism, and Vedanta.

      In the text that accompanies the video above, we learn that the poster was sitting in a waiting room listening to an Alan Watts lecture on his iPod. Suddenly, he looked up at the television that was playing an old Pink Panther episode, “The Pink Phink.”

      Watching the video while hearing Alan Watt’s talk, he was surprised to see that the words being spoken by Watts seemed to perfectly juxtapose with visuals of the cartoon – its storyline was flawlessly in sync with Watt’s wisdom.

      If we didn’t know better, of course, we’d try to attribute this occurrence to “serendipity” or “coincidence.” Fortunately, we do know better!

      So, here for your viewing pleasure and spiritual pastime, we offer you the Pink Panther and his friend teaching non-duality!

      More information about Alan Watts is available at www.alanwatts.org, a site maintained by his son, Mark Watts. The Alan Watts extracts in the video are from ‘You’re It!: On Hiding, Seeking, and Being Found’ ©2009 Sounds True; and The Pink Panther episode is ©2006 MGM.

      Watch the video here:

      SCOTT KILOBY appearances

      Mar. 16-18, 2012

      Friday Evening Guest Event:

      Mountain View United Methodist Church

      355 Ponca Place

      Boulder, CO  80303

      Sat/Sun Seminar:   (Seating capacity limited to 30)

      Prajna

      765 Gilpin Drive, Boulder, CO 80303

      Mar. 16-18, 2012

         Friday:  7:00-9:00 PM   (FREE- come meet Scott!)

         Saturday:  9:00 AM - 5:00 PM  (1.5 hr. Lunch Break)

         Sunday:  12:00 PM - 5:00 PM

      Registration & For More Info:  www.scottkilobytalks.com