#4518 - Sunday, February 19, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4518, Sunday, February 19, 2012

      Silence is the sea,
      and speech is like the river.
      The sea is seeking you:
      don't seek the river.
      Don't turn your head away from
      the signs offered by the sea.

      - Rumi, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to AlongTheWay

      Go within.
      Use the inner body as a starting point
      for going deeper
      and taking your attention away from where it's usually lodged,
      in the thinking mind.

      - Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2

      The mind must learn that beyond the moving mind there is a background of awareness which does not change. The mind must come to know the true self and respect it and cease covering it up, like the moon which obscures the sun during a solar eclipse.

      Silence, in the mystical sense, is widely misunderstood. It's not the absence of sound, but an immensity of acceptance that can't be perturbed by any word, thought, sight, or event. To those who know this silence to talk or not to talk is just the same.

      Pete, posted to AdvaitaToZen

      We're quite addicted to subtle discussions;
      we're very fond of solving problems.
      So that we may tie knots and then undo them,
      we constantly make rules for posing the difficulty
      and for answering the questions it raises.
      We're like a bird which loosens a snare
      and then ties it tighter again
      in order to perfect its skill.
      It deprives itself of open country;
      it leaves behind the meadowland,
      while its life is spent dealing with knots.
      Even then the snare is not mastered,
      but its wings are broken again and again.
      Don't struggle with knots,
      so your wings won't be broken.
      Don't risk ruining your feathers
      to display your proud efforts.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi II: 3733-3738, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, from Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight