Issue #4510 - Saturday, February 11, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4510, Saturday, February 11, 2011

      Let your love flow outward through the universe,
      To its height, its depth, its broad extent,
      A limitless love, without hatred or enmity.
      Then as you stand or walk,
      Sit or lie down,
      As long as you are awake,
      Strive for this with a one-pointed mind;
      Your life will bring heaven to earth.

      - The Buddha from the Sutta Nipata, posted to DailyDharma

      Yes

      It could happen any time, tornado,
      earthquake, Armageddon. It could happen.
      Or sunshine, love, salvation.

      It could, you know. That's why we wake
      and look out - no guarantees
      in this life.

      But some bonuses, like morning,
      like right now, like noon,
      like evening.

      - William Stafford, from Learning to Live in the World - Earth Poems, posted to allspirit

      When We Pray Alone

      We are brought thick deserts, and we rarely refuse them.
      We worship devoutly when we're with others.
      Hours we sit, though we get up quickly
      after a few minutes, when we pray alone.
      We hurry down the gullet of our wantings.

      But these qualities can change,
      as minerals in the ground rise inside trees
      and become tree, as plant faces an animal
      and enters the animal, so a human
      can put down the heavy
      body baggage and
      be light.

      - Rumi, version by Coleman Barks from The Essential Rumi, posted to Sunlight

      I Will Just Say This

      We
      bloomed in Spring.

      Our bodies
      are the leaves of God.

      The apparent seasons of life and death
      our eyes can suffer;

      but our souls, dear, I will just say this forthright:
      they are God
      Himself,

      we will never perish
      unless He
      does.

      St Teresa of Avila, from Love Poems From God, by Daniel Ladinsky.

      I have come into this world to see this:
      the sword drop from men's hands even at the height
      of their arc of anger

      because we have finally realized there is just one flesh to wound
      and it is His - the Christ's, our
      Beloved's.

      I have come into this world to see this: all creatures hold hands as
      we pass through this miraculous existence we share on the way
      to even a greater being of soul,

      a being of just ecstatic light, forever entwined and at play
      with Him.

      I have come into this world to hear this:

      every song the earth has sung since it was conceived in
      the Divine's womb and began spinning from
      His wish,

      every song by wing and fin and hoof,
      every song by hill and field and tree and woman and child,
      every song of stream and rock,

      every song of tool and lyre and flute,
      every song of gold and emerald
      and fire,

      every song the heart should cry with magnificent dignity
      to know itself as
      God:

      for all other knowledge will leave us again in want and aching -
      only imbibing the glorious Sun
      will complete us.

      I have come into this world to experience this:

      men so true to love
      they would rather die before speaking
      an unkind
      word,

      men so true their lives are His covenant -
      the promise of
      hope.

      I have come into this world to see this:
      the sword drop from men's hands
      even at the height of
      their arc of
      rage

      because we have finally realized
      there is just one flesh
      we can wound.

      - Hafiz, from Love Poems From God, by Daniel Ladinsky.