#4513 - Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2012
      #4513 - Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Tomas Sander and Greg Goode will be teaching this class on the emptiness teachings on Saturday Feb. 25th at Nalandabodhi in Manhattan.  This is designed as a fun, easy and introductory session about these extremely powerful liberational teachings.  The class will feature a lot of interactivity, class participation, group discussion and space to share your findings and experiences.  See the mini-poster attached to this message.  The full-size poster is here:  http://www.emptiness.co/classes/everyday_life

      We'll be looking at how daily life can be transformed by realizing emptiness of everyday things.  We will talk about:
      • Experience the emptiness of meaning -- this gives you the experience of freedom and flexibility
      • Experience how to destabilize social norms and views -- this provides greater openness and loving compassion
      • Experience the emptiness of the perceptual world -- this experience lightens up the world
      • Experience art and creativity -- allows you to revolutionize your world
      • Experience a "Subway Meditation" you can take with you anywhere you go
      • Experience the creation of your own heavenly "Pure Land"
      We'll use stories and experiences from everyday life, as well as imagery, art, advertising, which will give you tools to use these transformational insights at any time.

      More info here:

      Location:
      Nalandabodhi New York
      324 West 23rd, 2A
      (between 8th and 9th Aves.)

      Date/Time:   Saturday, Feb. 25th, 9:30am-5:00pm.

      Suggested Donation:  $60.00 for the day

      RSVP: to me -- greg@...

      A Time-Bomb In An Infinite Loop

      11 Saturday Feb 2012

      Posted by David AM in Experience

      Tags

      Depression, grace, Lars Von Trier, Meditation, Melancholia, Non-Dual, Truth, universe

      I read an article once by a cosmonaut who said that “space smells like gunpowder.” It’s a comment that helped to corroborate an idea that I began meditating on a few months ago about how the universe is just one big mass reaction. It’s volatile, chaotic, and hostile, yet there is so much beauty in that discord. The incandescence of pure light, the various shades and chroma of the sky . . . for that reason alone I’m hesitant to make a distinction between compassion and malevolence. If there is always a lesson to be learned then everything is grace. We grow through all experience and that’s something to be grateful for, if you so wish.

      I have this idea that maybe depression isn’t the worst thing in the world. I’m sure many would disagree and feel the need to protect the fact that they went through it or knew people who had it and suffered needlessly. But what if that despair felt by sufferers was actually beneficial to seeing the reality of the world. I saw Melancholia the other day – a film by Lars Von Trier starring Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg – and it got me thinking about deep depression and how those under its spell see clearly what the world is. Yet, we tell the afflicted that the world is not a bad place and that life abounds and that they are loved and necessary. Meanwhile, we return to our homes and bear the weight of this existence because of all that we attach ourselves to and it seems heinous to give anyone a bit of hope. One of the exchanges in the movie between the sisters, Justine (Kirsten) and Claire (Charlotte), expressed this introspective notion:

      Justine: The earth is evil. We don’t need to grieve for it.Claire: What? J: Nobody will miss it. C: But where would [my son] grow? J: All I know is, life on earth is evil. C: Then maybe life somewhere else. J: But there isn’t. C: How do you know? J: Because I know things. C: Oh yes, you always imagined you did. J: I know we’re alone. C: I don’t think you know that at all. J: 678. The bean lottery. Nobody guessed the amount of beans in the bottle. C: No, that’s right. J: But I know. 678. C: Well, perhaps. But what does that prove? J: That I know things. And when I say we’re alone, we’re alone. Life is only on earth, and not for long.

      I don’t agree completely with some of the words exchanged in this dialogue, obviously; I bring this up specifically to point out the last line in which Justine asserts her claims which seem rooted in her bout with melancholia. It could also be inferred that she may actually be highly intelligent based on the bean lottery comments. At the end of the day it’s still just a movie, albeit a thought-provoking one with much to consider.

      Oddly enough, a few days after watching this movie I was sitting in the lounge in lower Gladfelter when my eyes caught a Yoga magazine. One of the articles advertised on the cover was on the topic of depression; I turned to the article and began reading. The article opened with a story about a young man in India who was well off and had everything until one day he slowly started to see the world for what it was and became morose, detached, and frail. When asked what was wrong he replied that the world was a dark place and that there was no salvation. Many people tried to coax him out of his mentality, but he was sure that there was nothing truer than what he had come to. Eventually he met a non-dual guru who confirmed his seeing as truth but that there was a way out . . . this is where non-dual meditation and yoga came into the article. I stopped reading here because I just didn’t have time to finish and I was skeptical about the remainder of the article. I’m not doubting the efficacy of non-dual practices or yoga, but the intent behind the article which says that both can “heal” depression and bring you a “sense of purpose.” Why not just do it to feel a sense of union with all things and be okay with what the universe is? Strip yourself of the labels and don’t come to any conclusions on anything; Stay ambiguous and indeterminate.

      To sum things up, I think depression allows a great opportunity. Many may not agree. That’s fine. But think about these things a little deeper; look past the limitations of labels and really consider the people who suffer from the multitude of disorders that we think need fixing. This idea doesn’t cover every aspect of depression and I’m not claiming to know anything about psychology. These are merely observations that might be worth considering.