#4510 - Saturday, February 11, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4510, Saturday, February 11, 2011

      Live in Joy. In love.

      Even among those who hate.

      Live in Joy. In heatth.
      Even among the afflicted.

      Live in joy. In peace.
      Even among the troubled.

      Look within. Be still.
      Free from fear and attachment.
      Know the sweet joy
      of living in the way.

      - from the Dhammapada, words of the Buddha, posted to DailyDharma

      Simple Talk

      Spilling themselves in the sun bluebirds
      wing-mention their names all day. If everything
      holds so clear a life, maybe the sky would
      come, maybe heaven; maybe appearance and
      truth would be the same. Maybe whatever seems
      to be so, we should speak so from our souls,
      never afraid, "Light" when it comes,
      "Dark" when it goes away.

      - William Stafford from Learning to Live in the World - Earth Poems, posted to allspirit

      Flowers, sesame seed, bowls of fresh water,
      a tuft of kusa-grass, all this altar
      paraphernalia is not needed
      by someone who takes the teacher's words in
      and honestly lives them.

      Full of longing in meditation,
      one sinks into a joy that is free
      of any impulse to act and will not
      enter a human birth again.

      - Lalla, posted to AlongTheWay

      A thing becomes an illusion only when its reality becomes inferior to a higher reality that has already been found. Until then, it is still a reality. Only the sage has the strict right to call this world an illusion. If anyone else does so, such talk is mere babble.

      - Paul Brunton, Notebooks Category 19: The Reign of Relativity, Chapter 2: The Cosmos of Change, #43, posted to SufiMystic

      Rumi In The Garden

      Be nothing,
      says Rumi,
      and I say,

      "But ."
      I am thinning
      the carrots,

      crowded in the row,
      and I wonder
      who will thin them

      if I am nothing.
      "I did not say
      do nothing,"

      he says. Be nothing.
      "But ." I say
      The soil

      is damp and
      the carrots pull
      easily from the earth,

      their bright orange
      roots already thick
      enough to eat.

      They are sweet,
      and I offer
      one to Rumi

      who eats it
      dirt and all.
      Be a spot of ground

      where nothing
      is growing, he says,
      where something

      might be planted.
      He tosses the greens
      to the ground.

      I look between
      my hands to the nothing
      beneath the greens

      and perhaps
      for a moment
      I feel what he means,

      but too soon
      a thought
      of knowing comes in

      and there I go
      being something

      - Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer from The Miracle Already Happening - Everyday Life with Rumi, posted to The_Now2

      What I Have Learned So Far

      Meditation is old and honorable, so why should I
      not sit, every morning of my life, on the hillside,
      looking into the shining world? Because, properly
      attended to, delight, as well as havoc, is suggestion.
      Can one be passionate about the just, the
      ideal, the sublime, and the holy, and yet commit
      to no labor in its cause? I don't think so.

      All summations have a beginning, all effect has a
      story, all kindness begins with the sown seed.
      Thought buds toward radiance. The gospel of
      light is the crossroads of - indolence, or action.

      Be ignited, or be gone.

      - Mary Oliver, from New and Selected Poems, by Mary Oliver, posted to SufiMystic