#4502 - Friday, February 3, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2012
       #4502 - Friday, February 3, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Vicki Woodyard

      I fell asleep and begin having a nightmare. I was listening to yet another neoadvaitic interview on Whatchagotformeinthewayofenlightenmenttoday? The enlightened speaker of the day is saying:

       “I woke up. I had an experience of unity. Now I feel such peace. I don’t discriminate between me, myself and I or you, yourself and you or them, themselves and they. Got it? I got it. And I can give it to you if you only give me twenty sweet minutes of your time. Shall we begin?"

      Begin? This is like riding the baggage carousel at Hartfield. The same piece of nondual baggage keeps going around and around and around. Reely. I kid you not.

      God must be having a giggle fit up there looking down on what is known as What Is. He  must be choking back laughter from the hereafter. He is sitting on His Throne waiting for the latest incarnation of Himself to enlighten the crowd. Some of them are stud muffins. I prefer those. Let’s face it; being telegenic is more important than ever. These days gurus need a good face for high-def. Makeup! Where is Milton Berle when you need him?

      The latest interviewee is ‘splainin hisself or herself to the interviewer, being modestly contained while hinting of his cornucopia of utopia where no one ever sheds a tear or goes to detox or has a spare tire or anything even vaguely human. God is laughing for He knows who is about to take their trip through hell in a handcart.

      In my dream I am having coffee and a Danish and it’s like buttah. Literally. I buttahed the Danish. So at the middle of the interview I am nodding off and there are crumbs in my lap and the one talking is sounding vaguely familiar. “I don’t know how to say this, because it’s beyond words....”

      Yeah, I get it, I thought. I finally get it. I can turn off the interview. Work a crossword puzzle. Oh, wait, God just handed down a new tablet, two of them. It’s Aleve for my advaitic hangover.  Thank you, Jesus. Another long and dawdling interview has come to an end. The unwashed unenlightened will just have to scan the dial for another interview on what it is “like” to wake up. Because there is no one there to ever actually know.

      Vicki Woodyard

      OnceVickiAlmostNotHereWoodyard

      from http://nondualityamerica.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/drummer-drumming-resonation-by-skin/

      Drummer Drumming: Resonation by Skin

      Drummer Drumming  only Silence is the drumstick,
      only Nothing is
      the skin of the drum,
      only Emptiness is the infinite Song
      ~Jan Barendrecht

      Hark to the unstruck bells and drums!
      It is the music of the meeting of soul with soul;
      It is the music of the forgetting of sorrows;
      It is the music that transcends all coming in and all going forth.
      ~Kabīr

      This consciousness I am is beating a drum; everyone is carried away by the noise of the drum.
      Who looks for the drummer?
      ~Nisargadatta Maharaj

      I'm looking at places where psychiatry meets or invites a bridging with nonduality and am preparing to propose a Psychiatry and Nonduality session for the Science and Nonduality Conference. Here is a relevant article:

      --------------------------------

      Guidelines for Empathic Therapy

      by Peter R. Breggin, MD

      International Director

      Center for the Study of Empathic Therapy, Education & Living

      With guidance from Executive Director Ginger Breggin and Members of the Advisory Council

      including Bart Billings PhD, Doug Bower PhD, Joanne Cacciatore PhD, Mathy Downing, Thomas Cushman PhD, Dorothy Cassidy MEd, Nadine De Santo EdS, Pamela Glasner, Howard Glasser MA, Adrianne Johnson PhD, Jennifer Kinzie LMHC, Jodi Mullen PhD, Wendy West Pidkaminy LCSW, Gerald Porter PhD, Michael Shaw MD, Stuart Shipko MD, Doug Smith MD, Tony Stanton MD, Sarton Weinraub PhD, Piet Westdijk MD and Charles Whitfield MD.

      Preface

      The Guidelines for Empathic Therapy apply to every human relationship. In therapy they are codified and then applied with care by the therapist under the special conditions of therapy. Therapy is as complex and subtle as life itself. You don’t have to accept every one of the Guidelines for Empathic Therapy to belong to the Center for the Study of Empathic Therapy, Education and Living. Each of us must find our own particular understanding of these principles, emphasize one or another, and perhaps modify some. We welcome an open and continuing dialogue about these guidelines and plan to include new ideas.

      The Guidelines

      As Empathic Therapists –

      (1) We treasure those who seek our help and we view therapy as a sacred and inviolable trust. With humility and gratitude, we honor the privilege of being therapists.

      (2) We rely upon relationships built on trust, honesty, caring, genuine engagement and mutual respect.

      (3) We bring out the best in ourselves in order to bring out the best in others.

      (4) We create a safe space for self-exploration and honest communication by holding ourselves to the highest ethical standards, including honesty, informed consent, confidentiality, professional boundaries, and respect for personal freedom, autonomy and individuality.

      (5) We encourage overcoming psychological helplessness and taking responsibility for emotions, thoughts and actions—and ultimately for living a self-determined life.

      (6) We offer empathic understanding and, when useful, we build on that understanding to offer new perspectives and guidance for the further fulfillment of personal goals and freely chosen values.

      (7) When useful, we help to identify self-defeating patterns learned in childhood and adulthood in order to promote the development of more effective choice-making and conduct.

      (8) We do not treat people against their will or in any way use coercion, threats, manipulation or authoritarianism.

      (9) We do not reduce others to diagnostic categories or labels—a process that diminishes personal identity, over-simplifies life, instills dependency on authority, and impedes posttraumatic growth. Instead, we encourage people to understand and to embrace the depth, richness and complexity of their unique emotional and intellectual lives.

      (10) We do not falsely attribute emotional suffering and personal difficulties to genetics and biochemistry. Instead, we focus on each person’s capacity to take responsibility and to determine the course of his or her own life.

      (11) We recognize that a drug-free mind is best suited to personal growth and to facing critical life issues. Psychiatric drugs cloud the mind, impair judgment and insight, suppress emotions and spirituality, inhibit relationships and love, and reduce will power and autonomy. They are anti-therapeutic.

       (12) We apply the Guidelines for Empathic Therapy to all therapeutic relationships, including persons who suffer from brain injuries or from the most profound emotional disturbances.  Individuals who are mentally, emotionally and physically fragile are especially vulnerable to injury from psychiatric drugs and authoritarian therapies, and are in need of the best we have to offer as empathic therapists.

      (13) Because children are among our most vulnerable and treasured citizens, we especially need to protect them from psychiatric diagnoses and drugs. We need to offer them the family life, education and moral and spiritual guidance that will help them to fulfill their potential as children and adults.

      (14) Because personal failure and suffering cannot be separated from the ethics and values that guide our conduct, we promote basic human values including personal responsibility, freedom, gratitude, love, and the courage to honestly self-evaluate and to grow.

      (15) Because human beings thrive when living by their highest ideals, individuals may wish to explore their most important personal values, including spiritual beliefs or religious faith, and to integrate them into their therapy and their personal growth.

      Copyright Peter R. Breggin, MD 2011

      Find out more and even attend the Empathic Therapy Conference this April: