Wednesday, August 23

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2000
      Only preoccupation with what is not real
      keeps you from realizing the Truth of who you are
      Here and Now.
      Desiring anything else,
      anything that comes and goes,
      is foolish.
      The wise one does not do this,
      so Love the Lord
      with all your Heart.

      - Papaji
      contributed by Xan

      dan,

      right here,

      and blown away
      that words can even be "exchanged"
      the joy is indescribable
      you know!

      0=2
      and one is not even
      in my vocabulary

      within and without love,
      cee

      ----------

      Where dat Buddha?

      Blown away.
      Be - lone - a - way.

      Words explode
      silently
      in Infinity,
      as Infinity.

      Nothing has been said.

      Happy Day.
      This sparkling unbounded
      infinity
      is Home.

      Oh Say!
      Can you,
      Cee?
      Heeee...

      -- Dan

      The Secret

      don't worry, nobody has the
      beautiful lady, not really, and

      nobody has the strange and
      hidden power, nobody is
      exceptional or wonderful or
      magic, they only seem to be
      it's all a trick, an in, a con,
      don't buy it, don't believe it.
      the world is packed with
      billions of people whose lives
      and deaths are useless and
      when one of these jumps up
      and the light of history shines
      upon them, forget it, it's not
      what it seems, it's just
      another act to fool the fools
      again.

      there are no strong men, there
      are no beautiful women.
      at least, you can die knowing
      this
      and you will have
      the only possible
      victory.

      -Charles "Hank" Bukowski (1920-1989)
      contributed by Gene Poole

      ----------------------

      Nora wrote:

      ah bukowski--my daughter (The Poet) is nuts bout his stuff-

      you know i believe what he wrote--i really do, but... i
      just finished reading a very interesting article about
      remote viewing--there really does seem to be a nondual
      dimension of reality that contains all knowledge, all
      everything in fact, and some people do seem to know how to
      access it.. i guess that doesn't necessarily make them
      special at all, i'm sure it doesn't, but it would be
      interesting to be able to access this dimension-- which
      some people do in another way when they have an
      "enlightenment experience" or a NDE.. Hopelessly Left
      Brained Double Earth

      Hi Nora,

      We don't seem to talk much, parallel dimensions that rarely
      cross perhaps. I admit, I like to listen to you and to me
      you're like a mist, with a sort of feline character.

      Accesing that dimension is possible, and as you intimate,
      the key is in familiarizing yourself, and trusting the
      right brain. Actually the work involves an intimate
      relation between the two "halves", but in the typical case,
      and as in yours, it's more an excercize in working the
      "weaker side", or your right side. There are tons of
      excercizes and for some, it may require at least a couple
      of years. There are some who just cannot, but more than
      anything, it is a matter of choice, they just give up
      before "it happens".

      I have a conference coming up where I will have to explain
      the need to break through the intellectual barrier into
      experience by basically opening the non-physical channel,
      which is historically proven to be located (in humans) on
      the boundary between the conscious and sub-conscious minds.

      You're right, one does not have to be special to accomplish
      it, but for some, it can require a significant amount of
      work. The good part is, that one does not have to leave all
      other paths, nor change their direction, it's a form of
      training that helps open the way to a new way of seeing
      things.

      Dave

      as a human being
      i am no one in particular

      just one of the billions
      of two legged mammals
      thinking i am unique

      as the absolute divine being
      i am nothing in particular

      having no definition
      blissfully unique
      without a single thought

      either way
      i is a big fat zero

      within and without
      cee

      Standing slightly separated but not detached from the
      whirlwind of 'me', I silently wish with all my being to
      have more faith in the things unseen than that which my
      senses show me, and something from inside cradles me in its
      loving embrace, allowing 'me' to just let go and be flooded
      with love.

      --Marcia

      MARCIA

      What were your breathwork experiences about? --Mark-O

      Hi Mark,

      Long time ago. First one was meaningful but the second
      seemed to be an attempt to recapture something from the
      first. I had been working with a group of friends for over
      twenty years and six of us went together to the first one.
      The last two years before we went, we had been meeting
      daily, early in the morning and most recently doing guided
      meditations from J. Small and experiencing altered states
      that way so we were primed. So I think the connection
      between us and the factors such as the music and the
      breathing made a big difference. The second time I went
      alone. The first time, what came up for me, was an
      extension of some of the images from our morning meetings
      and guided meditations.

      I have always had a group which I have met with regularly
      and worked on personal stuff with. I am wondering if some
      of what you get is from that kind of exchange and not just
      the breathwork. I meditate with a group regularly and daily
      by myself and work with Movements which is, on one level,
      is work with the body. There is no substitution for the
      kind of subtle energies which can be built up and
      accumulated in a group and between members of a group. A
      real connection is formed and made and seems to me to be
      sort of a safety net in a way. We can help 'hold' each
      other. I never feel totally alone even if my friends are
      off doing their personality stuff. There is still the
      essence connection. Make sense? Gurdjieff calls them
      essence friends. --Marcia

      ROYAL'S (DOOMSDAY?) MESSAGE

      Time is short. We give the Divine Message of Love to all.
      Now we are to spread Agnihotra only. There is no more time
      for lengthy discussions on this path. Do Agnihotra and all
      the rest unfolds. If we tell people to practice Fivefold
      Path, that is enough. All unfolds with practice of
      Agnihotra.

      The Fivefold Path sets up life patterns based on the
      biophyschological techniques given through Vedic knowledge

      THE FIVEFOLD PATH

      1. Perform AGNIHOTRA for purification of the atmosphere
      which leads to automatic purification of mind. 2. Practice
      DAAN (sharing of assets in a spirit of humility to reduce
      attachment to worldly possessions). 3. Practice TAPA
      (becoming better managers of our energy expenditure by
      training the body and mind to react to all circumstances in
      life with Total Love). 4. Perform KARMA (every action for
      self purification only and thus no expectations which bind
      us to the material world). 5. Practice SWADHYAYA
      (Self-study) for liberation. Who am I? Why am I here? My
      work on this planet is to learn to react with total LOVE
      with each opportunity given to me.

      This is the Fivefold Path for happy living on the planet.
      By practicing the Fivefold Path you become better members
      of your society, group, religion, community, etc.

      Teachings of Eternal Truth by Vasant Paranjpe

      In the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was One. Several
      thousand years have passed since teachings of Eternal Truth
      have been let go. NOW IS THE TIME.

      Circular movements in air pollution cause friction in outer
      atmosphere. Our plants are affected by radiation from the
      sun. DARKEST HOUR OF MANKIND IS HERE NOW. No matter who you
      are, Agnihotra performed in the home twice each day by any
      one person present is going to have an uplifting and
      cleansing effect on all.

      For further information and Satsangs
      http://www.summit.net/home/agnihotra/

      editor's note: the above generated lots of response. Here
      are a couple of the letters:

      Perhaps the lifepatterns of the fivefold path come
      automatically as a result of maintaining a focus which
      connects to Self, rather than working it the other way
      around.

      So many "religions" define rules on how to behave,
      calculating that in doing so, x% are going to eventually
      fall into knowledge.

      The problem with following fixed paths is that the
      conditioning merely replaces existing conditioning. The
      light at the end of the tunnel remains conditioned.

      Any path counts on Grace. Here we share Grace's gifts. What
      worked for me or someone else may not work for others, but
      each individual must be free to "try it on" for themselves.
      In the end Grace decides.

      No time for lengthy discussion? Grace works when she works,
      and it seems that Grace is more fluid without conditions.
      (Given that we're on a spiritual path).

      --Dave/Manchine

      ---------------------

      Agnihotra is an interesting ritual. Consciously or not I
      engage in many rituals each day. Maybe only brushing my
      teeth in a certain way. What is ritual about? What is the
      power, the pleasure, the meaning? Seeing the world as I see
      it is a ritual, when the ritual way of seeing changes, the
      world changes, disappears, takes form anew.

      The individual is a ritual.

      --Andrew Macnab

      MANCHINE

      A prelude from Stephen Hawking's book, "Black Holes and
      Baby Universes".

      "In my teens, I built modedel airplanes and boats. My aim
      was to always produce working models that I could control.
      This was also a part of a drive that led me to invent a
      very complicated series of games. There was a manufacturing
      game, in which units of different colors where made, roads
      and railways on which they were carried and a stock market.
      There was a war game, played on a board of 4000 squares and
      even a feudal game in which each player was a whole
      dynasty. I think these games came from an urge to know how
      things worked, and to control them. Since I began my Ph.D
      this need has been met by my research into cosmology. If
      you understand how the universe operates, you can control
      it in a way.

      I was sure that nearly everybody was interested in how the
      universe operates, but most people can't follow
      mathematical equations. I don't have an intuitive feeling
      for equations, instead I think in pictorial terms, and the
      aim in my book was to explain these mental images.

      There were two concepts in particular that I felt I had to
      include. One was the so called sum over histories. This is
      the idea that there is not just a single history for the
      universe, rather, there is a collection of every possible
      history for the universe, and all these histories are
      equally real. The other idea, which is neccesary to make
      mathematical sense of the sum over histories, is "imaginary
      time". Finally it is not neccesary to understand exactly
      what "imaginary time" is, just that it is different from
      what we call real time.

      In a Time Magazine review: He has written this book about
      the biggest question of all: Where did we come from and
      where are we going? The answer that Hawking proposes is
      that the universe is neither created nor destroyed: It just
      IS. In order to formulate this idea, Hawking introduces the
      concept of imaginary time. Still, if Hawking is right, and
      we do find a complete unified theory, we shall really know
      the mind of God.

      -------------------------------------

      OK, now it's me speaking:

      I made the scientific approach, much as did Stephen (just
      not as famous :-) I used to take things apart, turn doll
      buggies upside down and spin the wheels, fix the mixmaster
      (and efficiently re-assembling it, using even less
      components than the origin construction). I was an inventor
      at age 10, the electric toothbrush was actually invented in
      1959, I just wasn't sure how to take out a patent! I
      invented an electric bolt tosser, I could make a bolt stick
      into the wall from 2 1/2 feet. Had to go reset the curcuit
      breaker every time that I plugged the firing coil into the
      wall socket. My mother didn't like the black oxide marks on
      the wall sockets either!

      Later, for about 8 years, I had my own company as an
      inventor and inventor's consultant. Creation was a marvel,
      seeing something come out of nothing. My company had a
      logo, that hid a secret.

      It was a single star... Well, you know my secret. Even then
      I knew, but I really didn't understand. That star to me now
      is more than I can ever imagine, yet I'm as certain as I've
      ever been that the mystery and awe will never end.

      The "image" of that star is so misleading, because it can
      only be an image from outside. A single point, surrounded
      by nothing. Such a point cannot have dimension, as you
      "approach", it remains the same, seemingly unreachable. As
      you "recede", it remains the same you cannot evade it.
      There comes a moment when you have to face the only
      incongruity, that "I" am not outside it. Being inside of it
      looks like THIS here all around us. The same rules hold for
      moving within a dimensionless "object". You can neither
      approach nor recede "your bounds" at least physically.

      If somthing moves me, or if I learn to move (in a
      non-physical manner) I can become fixed in another
      viewpoint, whithin which I seem physically mobile, but in
      fact it is much akin to the first scenario where I cannot
      approach or recede from the star, sort of like a three
      dimensional parallel domain. "I" am one of those fixed
      views, you are another one of those views. Sort of like
      what Stephen Hawking was saying with his "sum over
      histories".

      Where were we, "inventing", "something out of nothing".
      There is just so much truth to that. Making something, some
      physical thing, out of nothing is like what magicians do.
      When it's done, abracadabra, 1.2.3. then it's magic. When
      it's done using an elaborated procedure, then well it's
      more real. Inventing television was done using an
      elaborated procedure. Sure, if some guy came from the year
      1810 and you sat him down in front of a TV and clicked your
      remote control, he'd faint when you brought him to the
      flushing toilet to change his pants! But to us, no big
      deal.

      Now the scientists are using long elaborated procedures to
      explain what we already know. Unified theory, humph, that's
      peanuts! Nonduality, now there's the ticket!

      Creation, taking things apart, discovery, seeking, how ever
      you do it, it's all part of THIS.

      I liked what Jerry said today,

      "I find there is that work of vigilance, attentional work,
      and at the same time complete trust in 'the universe' or
      'source'. It has to do its thing. That's part of the
      attentional work, attending not only to the pockets of
      denser energy, but to their source, which I think is what
      you mean by 'seeing through'. When the attentional work
      becomes seamless, then perhaps it could be said one is
      'pocketless'."

      Jerry

      All that I said previously was very visual and
      hyperfocused, more as a warm-up excersize, but I feel those
      excersizes sharpen the attention, keep it alert and
      sensitive. Be permissive with your attention, and know the
      intent of its presence. Have absolute faith that the intent
      is rooted in the joy of Its own well being, Compasionate in
      discovery through creation in you. Just go with it, what
      else is there?

      VICTOR TORRICO

      This was an email I received about a year ago from Joyce
      Short a Canadian Dzogchen practitioner.

      ------

      Get comfortable and let mind and body really relax - no
      need to sit in any strict meditation position - relaxed in
      a comfy chair is fine. - Locate awareness in space and then
      put attention on the breath flowing in and out quite
      naturally.

      After a few minutes, cease to focus on any particular
      object and practice "choiceless awareness", simply
      observing whatever objects arise and pass in Awareness.
      Notice the following about each object:

      It is impermanent It has no existence apart from Awareness,
      Itself. Being a form of Awareness, it is transparent to it.

      1. Without fixing attention on anything, just consider:

      is there awareness of sights? is there awareness of sounds?
      is there awareness of sensations? Is there awareness of
      thoughts? is there awareness of feelings? Tastes? Etc.

      This very Awareness which is right here now, IS that
      eternal, self luminous Reality that you have been striving
      to realize all along. Since this Awareness is already here,
      your striving is unnecessary.

      2. Abandon all concepts about experience and simply
      observe.

      See how appearances arise in Awareness. Since whatever
      appears is already present, how can it be avoided?

      See how appearances pass in Awareness. Since whatever has
      passed is no longer present, how can it be grasped?

      See how everything appears in Awareness without the least
      obstruction. Since nothing obstructs appearances, there are
      no obstacles to be removed.

      See how everything passes in Awareness without the least
      hindrance. Since everything is self-liberating, there is
      nothing to be set free.

      Relax into this effortless contemplation of how things
      actually are.

      3. Without making any adjustments, continue to observe:

      Although you say, "forms arise in Awareness," can you
      really separate Awareness from its forms? is not Awareness
      like an ocean and forms its waves?

      Because Awareness and forms are ultimately inseparable,
      duality never existed. How then can it be transcended?

      Although you say, "I am aware of such and such object," can
      you truly distinguish between yourself and the object?
      Where does 'self" end and "object" begin?

      Because subject and object are, in reality,
      indistinguishable, delusion never originated. How then can
      it be dispelled?

      4. Look! reality is staring you in the face:

      You say you cannot eliminate your 'self' but there is no
      self to eliminate.

      You say you have not attained "Enlightenment" but there is
      not the slightest thing to attain.

      you say, "I am ignorant of my true identity." but how can
      this be? What else is there besides this infinite, eternal,
      non dual field of Awareness-and -form which is alreadty
      present, right here and now....and now...and now.....

      Therefore, surrender all desire for attainment and just be
      what you are" Awareness, Itself!

      Do not grasp anything, do not reject anything...be whatever
      is. "Enlightement" is not a place in which to settle, nor
      is 'Gnosis' a state that needs to be maintained. All
      experiences, all feelings, all states-whether mundane or
      sacred are by their very nature transient and ephemeral.
      Without maing an attempt to either hold on or push them
      away, simple remain identified with awareness, Itself and
      continue to practice effortlessly.

      By practicing effortless contemplation you will develop the
      realization that the self is empty of any inherent
      existence. Thus, while objects continue to appear in
      Awareness, the delusion that they are being experienced by
      some'one' will subside. This state of profound selflessness
      or Awarenesss-without-a-subject is often a prelude to full
      awakening. What is missing is the complimentary realization
      that not only does the 'self' lack any inherent existence,
      but so do objects. Consequently, as long as objects seem to
      exist in their own right there is no Gnosis. However, if
      you remain in the state of Awareness-without-a-subject then
      as Awareness-without-an-object finally dawns, you will
      realize that the now vanished objects were, in themselves,
      only imaginary projections of this objectless Awareness.
      Furthermore, you will realize that your own
      Awareness-without-a-subject is, in fact, indistinguishable
      from (and thus identical to) Awareness-without-an-object.
      In other words, you will directly and simultaneously
      apprehend not only the True nature of your "self" but the
      true Nature of all 'objects" and 'worlds' - which is to
      say, Awareness-without-an-object-and-without-a subject.
      This is the end of the Path.

      "Thinking that I must do this or do that is simply a story.
      If I have to move one millimeter, it is of no interest to
      me. What I want is none other than what I have. If I look
      deep inside myself, I don't have to make a single movement.
      Anything that I can find outside myself, I may loose. I go
      nowhere, I stay where I am. If I'm in jail I stay in jail,
      if I'm in an ashram I stay in an ashram, if I'm at home I
      stay at home. Out there, there is nothing waiting for me.
      To think that there is anything other than what is here
      right now is a total fantasy and it prevents grace from
      being felt."

      --Eric Baret: http://members.aol.com/bhairava1/graceGB.html

      PARSLEY, SAGE, MELODY AND GREG

      Hi Melody,

      You mentioned using sage in the house. How do you do that?
      I love the smell. I bought a sage bundle at a Greenwich
      Village Native American boutique a few years ago, but never
      used it. Should I get a fresh one or do they last? How do I
      light it, use it, etc.? Thanks!

      Love,

      --Greg

      Hi Greg,

      A woman in New Mexico, who was a student of an elderly Hopi
      shaman taught me what she was taught:

      With dried sage bundled up and lit at the end, the fire
      quickly dies down such that the bundle simply smokes.

      A large feather then is used to help guide the smoke.

      To 'cleanse' a person, the person is made to stand with
      arms stretched out to the sides, and the smoke is then
      feathered onto another beginning at the frontside... at the
      feet, working upwards and accross the arms. Once at the
      face, the person being cleansed cups their hands and brings
      the smoke to their face and over the top of the head. The
      process continues on the person's backside.

      when I smoke my house I begin at one end and feather the
      smoke, while I visualize all impurities and negativity
      being washed away. I end the process by feathering the
      smoke out the front door as if I'm ushering impurities out.

      I, too, love the smell of sage.... ... there are so many
      varietes, and they all smell different. The desert sage
      that used to grow wild near where I lived remains my
      favorite.

      Once the sage is dried, it doesn't go stale.....I don't
      think! In New Mexico, I could buy sage leaves in a bag, and
      I used to crinkle them into a conch shell to light. I
      really liked that, but I can't find that stuff anymore here
      in Missouri.

      Melody

      When I decide to have fun, I loose all anxiety and boredom
      and feelblissful. So I'm thinking that enlightenment is
      just "fun." I feelstoned all the time now. So, I'm
      wondering why we have to go throughall kinds of convoluted
      processes, when we could just consciouslydecide to just
      have fun all the time. I know this sounds incrdiblynaive
      and childish, but I'm 51, and this has never really
      occurred tome. I mean, "awarenes," and "compassion," and
      "freedom," don'treally do it for me. But "fun," really does
      it, like totally, forme. So what the hell's been going on?
      Yes, I'm generally a blissful person. But not like THIS!
      Andall I did was just glom onto a word that DOES IT for me.
      So, until Iget some better perspective, I'm putting this
      question out: WHO WANTS TO TELL ME THAT FUN AND
      ENLIGHTENMENT ARE DIFFERENT? OK, sure, "fun" seems more
      temporary. But, as far as Ican tell, "enlightenment" is
      really just total commitment topermanent fun. So, it's just
      a question of relative "stubbornness,"or, as I say,
      "commitment."

      --Sky

      We are the Nonduality Generation.
      http://www.nonduality.com