Tuesday, August 22

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24 4:30 AM
      I discovered NondualitySalon while researching some ethical
      issues for a discussion on Delphi Forums. Having read some
      of the messages, I was moved to become a member. I'm not
      sure I'm as far along the path as some of you, but hope you
      will be patient with me. A little background on me.

      Back in my 'flower child' days, in my early 20's, I became
      part of a Yoga group founded on the teachings of
      Paramahansa Yogananda. A year or so later, the group
      welcomed a teacher from India named Vasant Paranjpe.
      Vasant's master, Parama Sadguru Shri Gajanan Maharaj, had
      charged him with disseminating knowledge of The Fivefold
      Path of the Vedas. The first aspect of the Fivefold path is
      Agnihotra, a process in the science of bioenergy for
      purification of the mind, environment and atmosphere.

      For the following 4 years then we performed Agnihotra at
      sunrise and sunset each day and assisted Vasant with his
      work. Following the breakup of my marriage, I quit my job
      and sold my material possessions to finance a trip to
      India. Taking my 2-year-old daughter with me, I spent 2
      months there -- mostly in Aurangabad; with the highlight
      being a week-long stay at the ashram, during which time my
      daughter and I received the blessing of the Master.

      When I returned to the States, I became so focused on
      providing for my daughter as a single parent, with no help
      from her father, that I forsook daily practice of Agnihotra
      and meditation. This is why I responded to Dave's message.
      While I never really lost sight of the principles I learned
      and they remained the backbone of my
      philosophical/spiritual belief system, I no longer
      incorporated the techniques in my daily life.

      Now that my daughter is grown and on her own, I find myself
      being drawn back to the Path. I initiated a search on
      Agnihotra on the Internet, called the number listed and, lo
      and behold, was answered by a very dear fellow member of
      our Yoga group to whom I had not spoken for 22 years. I was
      overjoyed!! I'm filling out my order form for the supplies
      I need to begin performing Agnihotra again.

      Sorry to be so long winded. I look forward to communicating
      with others on the Path here in the NondualitySalon.

      Peace and Love Be With You!!

      --Royal

      if enlightenment arrived exactly two months ago it
      certainly could un-arrive.

      you are in great company here we love to proclaim our
      enlightenment!

      here are a few words from Huang Po who died (?) in the year
      849

      ..."Nor should you wish to be a Buddha right now. If a
      Buddha arises cut him off instantly. Don't cling to him for
      even a single moment, because a thousand locks couldn't
      shut him in, nor a hundred thousand feet of rope bind him."

      love, cee

      --------------------------------

      And a few words from that nice lady on Romper Room...

      "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!" :-)

      Everybody clap!! What I want to hear is a big round of
      applause!!

      --Judi

      Oh, I know. You mean that one-handed lady.

      -- Dan

      Many of us would be happy to know that there's not one part
      of our body that's more than ten years old. No matter how
      it looks!

      Dave/Manchine

      MARCIA PAUL

      I would like to discuss the holotropic breathing process. I
      went to two run by Stan Grof. He is good 'on the floor' but
      IMO a little dry in the lecture mode. Put me to sleep both
      times. :-) Literally to sleep.

      I was thinking that the breathing heavily oxygenates the
      body and the music touches the emotional center which gets
      a person into two centers at once which is one more center
      than ordinarily IMO which has the result of throwing the
      person into an altered state.

      MARK OTTER

      I've not yet had the pleasure of seeing Stan in action on
      the floor, but I am told he's a whirlwind of compassion. I
      have seen him lecture and I agree that his lecturing style
      is rather European in nature (the sage on the stage
      syndrome). I really like the work and his take on it
      though. I don't know what the physiology of the process is
      (I've heard that the pH of the blood plays a role, but who
      knows?), but I sure have had some interesting experiences
      doing the work. (I've breathed about 30 times now, and have
      experienced bliss, terror, depression, and a lot of
      energy-body things.) I think it is most helpful at
      dislodging blocks and allowing us to process old traumas
      stored in the body. I think the music offers cover for
      vocalizations as well as providing fuel for the breathing
      and the emotional landscape. I hope to make holotroic
      breathwork a major part of a new career confronting
      suffering in the human condition. What were your breathwork
      experiences about?

      XAN

      What is it to be *awake*? What is it that deepens? What
      changes?

      All I know is, there was a time when I belived myself to be
      a personality with describable characteristics. In
      awakening I recognized that as a temporary thing, a
      collection of stories, a configuration of energies, riding
      on and sustained by eternity undefined.

      This temporary entity has portions in it which have become
      lighter, translucent, easily seen for what they are. There
      are also pockets of denser energy which still give an
      appearance of realness, reactivity, when they arise in my
      eternal awareness. There are moments when density loosens,
      opens and is seen through - then I have a sense of
      deepening and expansion of what, fortunately, can change
      into what never changes.

      I passionately long for being "permanently established" -
      pocketless - purely being, through and through. Hence *the
      work* of vigilance, of seeing and seeing through, of Grace,
      and of this morning's gratitude.

      ...I've been seeing lately that it's good to embrace fear.
      Pure Life force is in fear. Through embracing fear, one
      comes to Pure Life Force. I think nervous laughter, a very
      partial embrace, if taken one step further, brings one in
      contact with Pure Life Force. That's what I've noticed in
      myself.

      Jerry

      ~ I call this willingness to face the uncomfortable,
      Inclusion. In my certainty of Pure Life Force everything
      previously avoided or denied can be accepted, transformed,
      dissolved. That's what I've noticed in myself.

      Xan

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      During sentient life, responsibility is even inescapable
      (in the sense of karma). As long as one feels, one will
      feel responsibility. Yet the question "who is responsible
      for whom" can be put. Ultimately there is nothing but "you"
      and in this sense, one is the "target" of one's "own"
      thoughts, feelings and actions - *ALL* of them. So when
      aware of this, one will take care but this doesn't
      necessarily mean granting all desires of "others".

      The definition of transformation could be called the
      actualization of the above. When intellectually understood,
      what is called "right action" is inescapable and is what
      will make one aware of transformation: the "own" and
      "other" inner resistances. It is correct to call this "the
      power of the Heart".

      Transformation concerns the dross regarding "I and you"
      whereas (in Rosicrucianism) transfiguration is the
      remaining "part" of the process. In this respect,
      completion isn't meant to be absolute: it only means that
      in a most literal sense, one is awake and can't feel
      anything anymore, apart from the indescribable "sense of
      IT" which isn't a feeling.

      Regarding nature and the universe, when the veil of
      physical feeling has been "blown" too, "there is only you",
      no sense remains to convey whatever idea of separation but
      there is no way to express it...

      Of course "on the way" there is a multitude of experiences
      and events to get convinced of this so it can be known long
      before transfiguration is completed...

      JOHN DUFF

      Such as I find myself there is no aim of finality,
      deepening or achievement or attainment in sight. "I am" or
      "Am not" from a binary interpretation - with differing
      levels and degrees of "Am-ness" and "Not-ness" from
      practical observation.

      "Am-ness" is the aim. Or perhaps a better word is Unity.

      However foggily understood this desired (already a mistake
      or poor choice of terminology) progression towards Unity is
      often thwarted by goals, aims, definitions, preconceived
      notions, the stories of others, or my own stories and
      fables This list of intellectually manufactured obstacles
      goes on.

      The nature of my perceptions of Unity has to do with the
      absence of these perceptions, self-manufactured or
      ready-made, and has to do more with the immediate
      experience of something so ever-changing and miraculous
      (fear and suffering along with less aversive therapies)
      that no concept of finality can ever encompass it. In this
      context, perhaps, attainment can be likened to a concept of
      finality. This is not offered as an objective determination
      in any sense, but as personal, situational observation and
      a broad and fuzzy description of a current path.

      More simply, when I think I know - I usually don't. When I
      think I understand - I've stopped understanding. When I
      think I've attained - something else to be shed presents
      itself. For me, this is quite Okay and miraculous in and of
      itself.

      (The word thinking is intended to be interchangeable with
      feeling - in the emotional sense - except where explicit
      substitution appears stupid. Understanding in this context
      is meant to convey intellectual and emotional perceptions
      and body awareness at the same time - in harmony.)

      MARK OTTER

      Hmmm... so Mary, are you suggesting that I drop my
      attachment to the Hinayana Buddhist perspective of a
      solitary (and exclusive) path and join the community (the
      greater vessel) of Mahayana practice? Yes, perhaps you are
      right. This seemed to be the focus of my 2 weeks in New
      Mexico (a beautiful land by the way). I realized that my
      shamanic journey is to cross the bridge from solitary
      existence into community.

      DAVE/MANCHINE

      Hi Mark,

      I find your comments about your New Mexico visit
      interesting. Just wanted to touch this thing a little and
      see what happened.

      At first glance, there may seem to be a conflict in your
      quote above, but as we all know, there is a co-existance of
      "community" in The One.

      From the little I know, generally shamanism has a healing
      focus, and as such tends to be "grounded" in mankind, but
      NOT WITHOUT a heady sense of "spiritualism". Well that I'm
      sure you know.

      A good question would be, "what is healing?", in the
      shamanistic sense. This and perhaps others, are rhetorical
      questions, I realize that after two weeks, 1) the head is
      spinning, and 2) it's just begining, but what the hay.

      The crossing you talk of, perhaps folds back on itself,
      where "solitary" through community transforms into
      "united". The dance must be danced, and it will be the
      dance of your life, and every step must bring the community
      back.

      Whaddaya Think?

      MARK: Huh? I'm not sure what you are asking. I have been a
      solitary being for years and years. Born into alchoholism,
      afraid of telephones, not sure what part I might play in
      the human drama, I see now that I am on a path of
      integration into community. That may be a redundant phrase
      all by itself. "With unity..."

      MANCHINE: That alone was worth the ticket.

      MARK: does the ticket get you into the show?

      MICHAEL READ

      Having faith that there was/is something more, About my
      days I went seeking the things I desired.

      Some things were obtained and some desires left
      unfulfilled, All in all much that was desired was
      experienced.

      Having faith that there is/was something higher, I dabbled
      in philosophy and scripture, meditation and prayer.

      Some things were obtained and some desires left
      unfulfilled, All in all much that was desired was
      experienced.

      Seeking enlightenment I set out upon my path, All in all
      much that was desired was experienced.

      Seeking enlightenment I set out upon my path, Gurus and
      teachers and deep meditation and vast experiences.

      What I wanted was victory over truth and attainment of
      power, To be God's own favored son above and beyond to lead
      the way.

      Living as a fool in a fool's paradise I had the grasp of it
      The sureness of my logic and experience were unassailable.

      And life slapped me around and turned me upside down And
      gave me more and more and more and it wasn't enough.

      Tired, worn down, all alone, ready to die, then I was
      ready, The barrier removed, the door was opened, but not by
      me.

      If I can be said to have done anything of value, It was
      this - taking that last faithful and willing step through.

      Sweet irony and I was what I sought all along and cried not
      having. This cloak of shadows woven about myself to hide
      myself from me.

      I'm very involved in this illusion called 'everything'. My
      involvement is my spiritual path, and I'm always on it. I
      don't think there's really this life, nor is there death.
      That's what I see. Yet somehow I'm involved in the motion
      picture show. I'm really involved in it, in the whole
      theater experience, including going out for coffee
      afterward, which is what these lists are about!

      reporting from Nonduality Street, Jerry

      -----------------

      Hi Jerry,

      I think what you say above, is true for every single person
      in the world.... the key is that one is aware of it. And
      what a difference it makes.

      Thanks Dave

      -------------------

      What I see is that I am in the show, in the audience,
      running the projector, selling the tickets, receiving the
      income, paying for the show in the first place, directing
      the making of the show, blah, blah, blah. How often am I
      awake to all this? :-)

      Marcia

      ---------------------

      Yes, quite. There is only "awareness" no way to assess "how
      often" aware, i.e., awake.

      Awareness is the theater, the picture, and the space
      between.

      This awareness isn't transitory or nontransitory, nor is it
      aware or unaware.

      How can I speak of it, when it is this moment speaking my
      entire being?

      Dan
      I'm astounded by people who want to "know" the universe
      when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown. -
      Woody Allen

      We are the Nonduality Generation.
      http://www.nonduality.com