#4489 - Saturday, January 21, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4489, Saturday, January 21, 2011

      Waiting

      You keep waiting for something to happen,
      the thing that lifts you out of yourself,

      catapults you into doing all the things you've put off
      the great things you're meant to do in your life,

      but somehow never quite get to.
      You keep waiting for the planets to shift

      the new moon to bring news,
      the universe to alight, something to give.

      Meanwhile, the piles of papers, the laundry, the dishes, the job,
      it all stacks up while you keep hoping

      for some miracle to blast down upon you,
      scattering the piles to the winds.

      Sometimes you lie in bed, terrified of your life.
      Sometimes you laugh at the privilege of waking.

      But all the while, life goes on it its messy way.
      And then you turn forty. Or fifty, Or sixty...

      and some part of you realizes you are not alone
      and you find signs of this in the animal kingdom -

      when a snake sheds its skin its eyes glaze over,
      it slinks under a rock, not wanting to be touched,

      and when caterpillar turns to butterfly
      if the pupa is brushed, it will die -

      and when the bird taps its beak hungrily against the egg
      it's because the thing is too small, too small,

      and it needs to break out.
      And midlife walks you into that wisdom

      that this is what transformation looks like -
      the mess of it, the tapping at the walls of your life,

      the yearning and writhing and pushing,
      until one day, one day

      you emerge from the wreck
      embracing both the immense dawn

      and the dusk of the body,
      glistening, beautiful

      just as you are.

      - Leza Lowitz, Poems of Awakening by Betsy Small, posted to The_Now2

      A World with No Boundaries

      With every breath the sound
      of love surrounds us,
      and we are bound for the depths
      of space, without distraction.

      We've been in orbit before
      and know the angels there.
      Let's go there again, Master,
      for that is our land.

      Yet we are beyond all of that
      and more than angels.
      Out beyond duality,
      we have a home, and it is Majesty.
      That pure substance is
      different from this dusty world.
      What kind of place is this?
      We once came down; soon we'll return.
      A new happiness befriends us
      as we work at offering our lives.

      Muhammad, the jewel of the world,
      is our caravan's chosen guide.
      The sweetness we breathe on the wind
      is from the scent of his hair,
      and the radiance of our thought
      is from the light of his day.

      His face once caused
      the moon to split in two.
      She couldn't endure the sight of him.
      Yet how lucky she was,
      she who humbly received him.
      Look into your heart and see
      the splitting moon within each breath.
      Having seen that vision,
      how can you still dream?

      When the wave of "Am I not?" struck,
      it wrecked the body's ship;
      when the ship wrecks again,
      it will be the time of union.

      The Human Being, like a bird of the sea,
      emerged from the ocean of the soul.
      Earth is not the final place of rest
      for a bird born from the sea.

      No, we are pearls of that ocean;
      all of us live in it;
      and if it weren't so, why would
      wave upon wave arrive?

      This is the time of union,
      the time of eternal beauty.
      It is the time of luck and kindness;
      it is the ocean of purity.
      The wave of bestowal has come.

      The roar of the sea is here.
      The morning of happiness has dawned.
      No, it is the light of God.

      Whose face is pictured here?
      Who is this shah or prince?
      Who is this ancient intelligence?
      They are all masks . . .
      and the only remedy is
      this boiling ecstasy of the soul.

      A fountain of refreshment
      is in the head and the eyes -
      not this bodily head
      but another pure spiritual one.

      Many a pure head has been spilled
      in the dust. Know the one from the other!
      Our original head is hidden,
      while this other is visible.
      Beyond this world is a world
      that has no boundaries.

      Put your water skin away, brother,
      and draw some wine from our cask!
      The clay jug of perception
      has such a narrow spout.
      The sun appeared from the direction of Tabriz,
      and I said, "This light is at once joined
      with all things, and yet apart from everything."

      - Rumi Ghazal (Ode) 363, version by Kabir Helminski, from Love is a Stranger, posted to Sunlight

      this could happen in a bright room

      where a band plays and people laugh
      anywhere a boat could drop anchor
      or directly beside you so close
      I could kiss your cheek
      but my love I don't hide my love there

      my love is hidden in rain and the dirt
      it flits about the way email messages do
      nothing so easy you can push it
      this love's the way people dance
      and sing when they forget anyone could laugh

      my love asks for nothing
      and opens
      the universe unfolds too
      a gigantic cup peeling back on itself
      I imagine a question for that answer

      years built caution into a fence
      I leap around inside myself
      the love itself is a cat with another home
      and it visits and watches
      in the heat where silence saves me

      - Raewyn Alexander

      Ode to My Socks

      Mara Mori brought me
      a pair of socks
      which she knitted herself
      with her sheepherder's hands,
      two socks as soft as rabbits.
      I slipped my feet into them
      as if they were two cases
      knitted with threads of twilight and goatskin,
      Violent socks,
      my feet were two fish made of wool,
      two long sharks
      sea blue, shot through
      by one golden thread,
      two immense blackbirds,
      two cannons,
      my feet were honored in this way
      by these heavenly socks.
      They were so handsome for the first time
      my feet seemed to me unacceptable
      like two decrepit firemen,
      firemen unworthy of that woven fire,
      of those glowing socks.

      Nevertheless, I resisted the sharp temptation
      to save them somewhere as schoolboys
      keep fireflies,
      as learned men collect
      sacred texts,
      I resisted the mad impulse to put them
      in a golden cage and each day give them
      birdseed and pieces of pink melon.
      Like explorers in the jungle
      who hand over the very rare green deer
      to the spit and eat it with remorse,
      I stretched out my feet and pulled on
      the magnificent socks and then my shoes.

      The moral of my ode is this:
      beauty is twice beauty
      and what is good is doubly good
      when it is a matter of two socks