#4485 - Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2012
      #4485 - Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      This issue features news of Rupert Spira's new books. I find them different than his first book. Whereas the feel of his first book was a sinuous dance, the current books are more granular, easier to absorb as confessional segments.

      Presence

      Volume I The Art of Peace and Happiness

      Volume II The Intimacy of All Experience

      Rupert Spira

      Order from Non-Duality Press:

      http://www.non-dualitypress.com/product.aspx?p=bf6c7723-4243-4506-877a-f1b59ca72f49

      Order from Amazon.com:

      http://www.amazon.com/Presence-Art-Peace-Happiness-1/dp/1908664037/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326890237&sr=8-1

      Volume I

      Your self, Aware Presence, knows no resistance to any appearance and, as such, is happiness itself; like the empty space of a room it cannot be disturbed and is, therefore, peace itself; like this page, it is intimately one with whatever appears on it and is thus love itself; and like water that is not affected by the shape of a wave, it is pure freedom. Causeless joy, imperturbable peace, love that knows no opposite and freedom at the heart of all experience….this is your ever-present nature under all circumstances.

      Rupert Spira

      Presence

      is a profound and luminous book with great power and is obviously the fruit of many years of contemplation. These two volumes together are a relentless and utterly thorough examination of the nature of experience, exploring every square centimeter of the territory with absolute excellence and ruthlessly precise analysis. Their astuteness and clarity will be extremely exciting to those readers who are ready for the next steps in lifting the veil of separation and I suspect it will become a spiritual classic that readers will savour slowly and return to again and again.

      Victoria Ritchie

      Former Manager of Watkins Bookshop and Editor for Eckhart Tolle

      Volume II

      All that is known is experiencing and experiencing is not divided into one part (an inside self) that experiences and another part (an outside object, other or world) that is experienced. Experiencing is seamless and intimate, made of ‘knowing’ or Awareness alone. This intimacy, in which there is no room for selves, objects or others, is love itself. It lies at its heart of all experience, completely available under all circumstances.

      Rupert Spira

      Presence

      is one of the most exciting and illuminating books on non-duality I have encountered and its precision, articulateness in naming the nameless, unparalleled depth and ability to inspire were constantly appreciated. This book succeeds in taking the reader beyond concepts and into the experiential level. The irony is that this work, which is so advanced and sophisticated in its use of language, thought and conceptualization, is inexorably directed towards pure experiencing.
      It is a brilliant and lucid work carrying great strength and authority suggesting it is an indisputable source of Truth.

      Victoria Ritchie

      Former Manager of Watkins Bookshop and Editor for Eckhart Tolle

      Review of Presence by Fred Davies:

      I continue to reread Rupert Spira's groundbreaking new Presence book set. These books have more potential to liberate more suffering than anything written since The Power of Now. Twelve years ago, when The Power of Now was published, a great many of us would not, as a group, have been ready for Rupert's new Presence book set. However, as a result of that title, and the cumulative effect of the great number of clear and fine titles that have been published since then, a very large number of people, at many different levels of the theoretical spiritual path, are now ready and waiting for these books. I do hope they reach the vast audience they deserve. I hope they reach YOU.

      I'm going to run out of superlatives in regard to Rupert Spira's new Presence book set, so let me start right away: Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! In all candor, I am in awe. The clarity here jumps off the page and into the reader. The first volume (Presence: The Art of Peace and Happiness) has an opening section that is just over 30 pages long. It is, I think, the best description of its section title, Our True Nature, that I have ever read. It is worth the price of admission, all by itself.

      Since the truth can never be told, but only pointed to, Rupert then goes on to share his marvelous "translation", so to speak, of the most direct path to this singular-yet-shared True Nature. It is wonderful to have a meticulous artist at the wheel here. If you've not been to his website, I suggest you add a "dot com" to Rupert Spira and go there immediately following this review, and the subsequent purchase of both volumes of this new set. When you go to his site, you'll see that Rupert's expression of our True Nature is seemingly divided between art and teaching Nonduality. In fact, there is Nonduality in the art, and there is art in his Nondual teaching. Let me add that both are HIGH art.

      The field of Nonduality is not, shall we say, overburdened with quality writing. There is a lot of clarity out there; I'm not suggesting there is not. Yet the ability to transfer that clarity from one human to another is too often insufficiently translated by a writer's lack of facility with language, and/or technical writing skills. Rupert does not share this problem. Our field could also use a truckload of editors and proofreaders. Awakening lands where it lands, and everything's done on the cheap and I get that; I'm being more matter of fact than I am critical. But it is a sheer joy to stumble upon an exception. That truck I spoke of must have stopped at Rupert's house a long time ago. (Now, doubtlessly, I'll leave a glaring typo somewhere in this review.)

      I recently watched a DVD set of Dialogue Excerpts of one of Francis Lucille's retreats (see the Stillness Speaks or Nonduality Press websites). Francis, who of course studied under Jean Klein, is one of the clearest, widest openings one could ever hope to find. He is also Rupert's teacher and has been for over a decade. When the camera plays on the audience, there is Rupert, eyes closed, silently soaking in what's being offered through Francis. There is something very moving about that. Call me unsophisticated, but my eye witnesses there the deep example of humility that also shines forth on every page of this book.

      Let me say just a bit more about these books. The first book takes us through all of our methods of apparently achieving the miracle of separation, and ways to reverse that. When speaking of our core problem of misidentification, Rupert uses the term, "exclusive identification" when speaking of our normal mode of life. I love that. I have often said, "You are the body, but you're not JUST the body." I'm putting Rupert on public notice that I'll be stealing "exclusive identification" at every opportunity. There is one attention-stopping observation after the other as he leads you down the path bordered by fear and desire. The great quotes to drink in are simply too numerable to count.

      In the second volume (Presence: The Intimacy of All Experience) we find something akin to "dialogues", where a question is asked and then Rupert answers it. What touched me here was the encouraging gentleness and sweet wisdom with which these questioners and their questions were welcomed and discussed. The clarity and brilliance is there to the last page and beyond.

      It's a great book set. I'll read it again. Right away. That's the highest praise I have. Namaste.