#4478- Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2012
      #4478- Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      In Memoriam, Barbara Joyce Adamson

      Photo: Emmet Walz, "Sailor Bob", James Braha, and Barb

      I got some sad news this morning from my friend, James Braha. Barb Adamson, beloved wife and life-partner to revered spiritual teacher, “Sailor” Bob Adamson, passed away last week. She was 78. Barb had been ill for several months with leukemia. She was a beautiful human, inside and out; fully alive and awake. Barb did a lot of volunteer service on her own over the years, completely unrelated to Bob’s. She thoroughly understood both the ephemeral nature, and vital importance of this human life. Over the years she was often involved in Bob’s work as well. My friends, a bright light has winked.

      I never met Barb in person, but James spent many weeks with her and Bob several years ago, and speaks quite lovingly of her in his book on their visit to his home in Florida, Living Reality.

      James now shares this with us, "I am deeply indebted to Barb - she was the reason Bob agreed to come to America in 2004 when I invited them. She was compassionate and lovely, and lived a dedicated life of service practicing Bowen Therapy.

      "I will never forget her presence and contributions during the group meetings at my house with Sailor Bob. She was so intuitive and helpful. She could be the sweetest person in the room or pounce like a tiger when a situation demanded. Her understanding was profound and she was a very sweet soul. She is sorely missed."

      We are all better off for her having passed through here. That’s the best any of us can hope to do. Additional photos of Barb and Bob are available on James’ website. http://tinyurl.com/6wesqxe If you knew, Barb, please feel free to send me a memory or comment and I'll post it below.

      I met her, and she was indeed a shining light! Thanks for your post.
      ~~Greg Goode

      If you like Zen you will love these books. I'm currently reading both and greatly enjoying them:

      http://www.amazon.com/Song-Trusting-Heart-Classic-Meditation/dp/1591811759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326226834&sr=8-1

      http://www.sentientpublications.com/catalog/song_trusting.php

      Song of Trusting the Heart
      A Classic Zen Poem for Daily Meditation

      Tamarack Song

      Zen masters say only one thing matters in life—the now, and only one thing matters at death—a peaceful heart. The way to achieve both is vibrantly expressed in the poem “Song of Trusting the Heart” (also known as Hsin Hsin Ming or Faith Mind Inscription), an ancient Chinese scripture beloved by sages and considered a cornerstone of Zen Buddhism.

      Written in the 6th century by Jianzhi Sengcan—the third Zen patriarch of China—the poem inspires its readers to experience life without the burdens of attachments and judgments, however the few existing translations are either dated or weighed down with commentary. Tamarack Song, a student of nature and indigenous cultures, adapts these verses to the modern seeker, while staying faithful to the poem’s original phrasing. Each stanza is embellished with a striking full-page, original illustration by the Japanese brush-painting master Jan Zaremba.

      The book starts with a brief introduction to Zen, exploring its obscure origins, then offers one verse for each day of the lunar month. This beautiful little volume will become a daily meditation guide for those looking for refinement and peace in our modern world.

      Tamarack Song lives in northern Wisconsin, where his passion for nature, indigenous cultures, and achieving balance in an unbalanced world led him to found the Teaching Drum Outdoors School, where he teaches his students to align with nature as our ancestors once did.

      What others have said about Song of Trusting the Heart:

      Listen to and feel the spirit of these sacred verses. They are currents of homecoming, reminders of the vast beauty and mystery that is our essence.

      —Tara Brach, Ph.D., author of Radical Acceptance

      Tamarack Song’s beautiful, clear interpretation of my favorite Zen scripture especially captures the essence of true, effortless non-dual realization. May all who see it immediately open to the always open Heart.

      —Gangaji, author of The Diamond in Your Pocket

      http://www.amazon.com/Song-Trusting-Heart-Classic-Meditation/dp/1591811759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326226834&sr=8-1

      http://www.sentientpublications.com/catalog/song_trusting.php

      Blowing Zen
      Finding an Authentic Life

      Ray Brooks

      As a young, up and coming electrical engineer living in England, Ray Brooks had everything he could want—a high paying job, late nights, and fast cars. All he was missing in his life was the meaning.

      A series of events brought him to Japan, where he met a man who played the shakuhachi, an ancient Japanese flute. That fortuitous interaction motivated Brooks to embark on a journey to learn this very difficult instrument.

      Through playing the shakuhachi, he began to understand the Zen discipline that is a crucial aspect of Japanese culture. This understanding greatly changed his outlook on life, putting him in touch with his authentic self.

      Blowing Zen’s humor and its irresistible story of cultures converging lets the underlying message come through without preachiness: life is about finding your true calling, not just what brings you superficial joy. Brooks’ spontaneous approach to the collaboration of art, mind, body, and spirit is inspiring and instructive.

      This uplifting memoir has been entrancing readers since its release in 2000, and it is now being re-released with a new chapter and lots of photographs.

      Ray Brooks is a writer, teacher, artist and performer. He performs shakuhachi concerts in Japan, North America, and Europe. He lives in Victoria, British Columbia.

      What others have said about Blowing Zen:

      A genuine spiritual journey, finding Zen, music, and one's own true self. A lovely spirit blows through this book.

      —Jack Kornfield, author of A Path with Heart

      Ray Brooks’ unique and captivating book provides an insightful view of the heart and spirit of the Japanese culture and the musician’s journey. In sharing his quest, he has enriched my life, and may inspire many others on the path of music, the ways of Zen.

      —Dan Millman, author of Way of the Peaceful Warrior