#4476 - Sunday, January 8, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4476, Sunday, January 8, 2012

      In life nothing can be had without over- coming obstacles. The obstacles to the clear perception of one's true being are desire for pleasure and fear of pain. It is the pleasure-pain motivation that stands in the way. The very freedom from all motivation, the state in which no desire arises is the natural state.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That - Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to AlongTheWay

      Since they're both focused on the future, fear and desire are simultaneously in your heart.

      Contained within every desire, however, is a hidden fear that "It won't happen."

      Paradoxically, though, contained within every fear is also a hidden desire that "It won't happen."

      Your fears will begin to diminish whenever you stop feeding your desires.

      And, of course, vice versa.

      Fears and desires always eat from the same trough.

      - Chuck Hillig, from Seeds for the Soul, posted to AlongTheWay

      Chickpea to Cook

      A chickpea leaps almost over the rim of the pot
      where it's being boiled.

      "Why are you doing this to me?"

      The cook knocks him down with the ladle.

      "Don't you try to jump out.
      You think I'm torturing you.
      I'm giving you flavor,
      so you can mix with spices and rice
      and be the lovely vitality of a human being.
      Remember when you drank rain in the garden.
      That was for this."

      Grace first. Sexual pleasure,
      then a boiling new life beings,
      and the Friend has something good to eat.

      Eventually the chickpea
      will say to the cook,
      "Boil me some more.
      Hit me with the skimming spoon.
      I can't do this by myself.

      I'm like an elephant that dreams of gardens
      back in Hindustan and doesn't pay attention
      to his driver. You're my cook, my driver,
      my way into existence. I love your cooking."

      The cook says,
      "I was once like you,
      fresh from the ground. Then I boiled in time,
      and boiled in the body, two fierce boilings.

      My animal soul grew powerful.
      I controlled it with practices,
      and boiled some more, and boiled
      once beyond that,
      and became your teacher."

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III, 4160-68, 4197-4208, version by Coleman Barks, from The Essential Rumi, posted to Sunlight

      Heaven and Hell

      Each day
      heaven and hell unfold
      all around us.

      Do not lose sight of
      the vast, Infinite expanse
      containing both -
      or the power of
      your own choice
      to transform one
      into the other.

      - Metta Zetty

      You do not have to wait for something called Grace to descend in some future moment of worthiness.

      - Pamela Wilson

      This is what is asked of us, over and over and over, to offer our empty hands. To let the things we are holding so tightly just drop. To give it all up, everything, that does not exist in this moment here. All that has happened, that we think we somehow need to do something about, all that we think might happen, or we hope will happen, every sweet dream that we cling to. This is like God's loving strip search, give it all over! Something else wants to live you. And you can feel it.

      - Jeannie Zandi