#4473 - Thursday, January 5, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2012

      #4473 - Thursday, January 5, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The awakened heart is like a sky that pours light.
      - Hafez
      by Elsa Bailey

      You never find happiness until you stop looking for it.
      - Chuang Tzu

      In life nothing can be had without overcoming obstacles. The
      obstacles to the clear perception of one's true being are desire for
      pleasure and fear of pain. It is the pleasure-pain motivation that
      stands in the way. The very freedom from all motivation, the state
      in which no desire arises is the natural state.
      - Nisargadatta Maharaj
      by Along The Way

      photo by dakotalapse.com
      The way of the Buddha is to know yourself. To know yourself is to
      forget yourself. To forget yourself is to be awakened by all things.
      - Dogen
      by Elsa Bailey

      "Live with skillful nonchalance and ceaseless concern."
      - Prajnaparamita Sutra

      "What could be more futile, more insane, than to create inner
      resistance to something that already is?"
      - Eckhart Tolle
      by Ben Gilberti

      What is this true meditation? It is to make everything: coughing,
      swallowing, waving the arms, motion, stillness, words, action, the
      evil and the good, prosperity and shame, gain and loss, right and
      wrong, into one single koan.
      - Hakuin
      by Tony Cartledge

      A man crosses the street in rain,
      stepping gently, looking two times north and south,
      because his son is asleep on his shoulder.
      No car must splash him.
      No car drive too near to his shadow.
      This man carries the world's most sensitive cargo
      but he's not marked.
      Nowhere does his jacket say FRAGILE,
      His ear fills up with breathing.
      He hears the hum of a boy's dream
      deep inside him.
      We're not going to be able
      to live in this world
      if we're not willing to do what he's doing
      with one another.
      The road will only be wide.
      The rain will never stop falling.
      - Naomi Shihab Nye
      from Red Suitcase. © BOA Editions, Ltd., 1994.

      An African Elegy
      We are the miracles that God made
      To taste the bitter fruit of Time.
      We are precious.
      And one day our suffering
      Will turn into the wonders of the earth.
      There are things that burn me now
      Which turn golden when I am happy.
      Do you see the mystery of our pain?
      That we bear poverty
      And are able to sing and dream sweet things
      And that we never curse the air when it is warm
      Or the fruit when it tastes so good
      Or the lights that bounce gently on the waters?
      We bless things even in our pain.
      We bless them in silence.
      That is why our music is so sweet.
      It makes the air remember.