#4466 - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2011
      #4466 - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Cheetah the chimp from 1930s Tarzan flicks dies

      Dec 28, 4:24 AM (ET)

      PALM HARBOR, Fla. (AP) - A Florida animal sanctuary says Cheetah the chimpanzee sidekick in the Tarzan movies of the early 1930s has died at age 80.

      The Suncoast Primate Sanctuary in Palm Harbor announced that Cheetah died Dec. 24 of kidney failure.

      Sanctuary outreach director Debbie Cobb on Wednesday told The Tampa Tribune ( ) that Cheetah was outgoing, loved finger painting and liked to see people laugh. She says he seemed to be tuned into human feelings.http://bit.ly/rRuTeJ

      Based on the works of author Edgar Rice Burroughs, the Tarzan stories, which have spawned scores of books and films over the years, chronicle the adventures of a man who was raised by apes in Africa.

      Cheetah was the comic relief in the Tarzan films that starred American Olympic gold medal swimmer Johnny Weissmuller. Cobb says Cheetah came to the sanctuary from Weissmuller's estate sometime around 1960.

      Cobb says Cheetah wasn't a troublemaker. Still, sanctuary volunteer Ron Priest says that when the chimp didn't like what was going on, he would throw feces.

      Scott Kiloby Talk in Dallas Texas

      Unity of Dallas

      6525 Forest Lane

      Dallas, TX  75230

      Dates & Times:

      Jan. 20-22, 2012

         Friday:  7:00-9:00 PM

         Saturday:  9:00 AM - 5:00 PM  (1.5 hr. Lunch Break)

         Sunday:  1:00 PM - 5:00 PM

      Visit http://scottkilobytalks.com for more details and registration

      Interview with John LeKay. John is an artist and the editor/publisher of NON DUALITY MAGAZINE and teaches non-dual meditation at his private meditation studio as well as at the Westchester Martial Arts Center in White Plains New York.  John helps others set up a personal home practice with tips, suggestions and feedback.
      The following is excerpted from a long interview:
      Can you be liberated and still have vasanas, samskaras or karma?

      You  can know  you are "non dual awareness" as they say in Vedanta, but not be liberated from these vasanas, meaning they are still binding. If you know you are awareness, established in this, in time it will prohibit this from happening because the light will be too intense. Nothing will get by it. Everything is noticed and magnified and stands out like a sore thumb; seen as an object from the point of awareness.  But again this takes time.  For example, in the early 90s some of my proclivities and negative habits were too overpowering, so it could not stick for more than a few days or week at the most. I would then fall flat on my face or do something totally stupid. I simply could not help myself because it was like swimming upstream all the time.
      What about physical pain?
      You still feel it in the body, but not in the mind. In other words the physical pain doesn't effect your mental state. If you have a tooth ache you have a tooth ache, not a mind ache. It doesn't make you miserable; it still hurts like before but doesn't bother you. It's weird but pleasure and pain become like one. I discovered this with doing full lotus. Everything becomes equalized in a way because pain is also seen as just another object.
      Do you think you can become enlightened without using insight or deep meditation?
      Again it depends on the tradition, according to the Theravada Buddhist teachings for example, not without having praj├▒ā, (insight wisdom).  You may have one realization, but not the others. It is much more than just not having a sense of a personal self. Anatta, because that's only a part of the equation, albeit an important one that much else hinges on. Without the others, that alone that can lead to much confusion.
      Were you inspired by other teachers?

      Yes, an eclectic bunch, I was especially inspired by the teachings of the Eastern Jesuit mystic Anthony de Mello, as well as Thich Nhat Hanh, Sufi mystic Hazrat Inayat Khan, Sri Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Sri Ramana Maharshi,  Nisargadatta Maharaj, George Ivanovich Gurdjieff, U.G Krishnamurti, Jiddu Khrishnamurti, Alan Watts D.T Suzuki.  As well as Paramahansa Yogananda, Carl Jung, and too many others to list. Many unknown Taoist teachers and Buddhist Qi gung teachers. Some in person, whose names I will not mention since they have no interest in being known at all. Also because they prefer to keep this knowledge private so to speak.
      Recently I came across Timothy Conway who was a direct student of Nisargadatta, who showed me some very interesting ancient Tibetan text. Concerning a heretic monk named Dolpopa Sherab Gyaltsen whom I find very interesting.
      Also spoke with another teacher in Australia, a Zen based teacher named Linda Clair.  Also been meeting up with Greg Goode in New York for his non dual dinners, he teaches the direct path of Sri Atmananda.
      The best teachers seem to be under the radar and go about this very quietly because they are not looking to be known or even to gather a following.
      I also studied the experiential aspects of this with various Asian Qi gung masters and meditation teachers for about 5 years, some coming from Zen school, also Taoism which taught me many things that led to these kensho type experiences, but the rest of it was on my own. Such as looking through makyo, more subtle layers of self delusion or the remnant of this ego wanting to a make a last ditch power grab or to make an extravaganza out of it.  Or confusing matters in one way or another.
      It is seeing through these profound spiritual experiences as just another subtle layer of illusion.  Knowing how to dissect myself from this like using a surgical knife, or finally seeing that anything that the mind creates at all is illusion.  That the mind is an illusion creating machine.  That it is all a trick. A cosmic joke and it's on you. This is what creates all the laughter when this is seen. That every-thing is an object. The only subject is the 'Self' with a capital S as they say in Vedanta.  The Self/ awareness, is not a thing and it cannot be seen, but can be known. But to know it you have to realize that you are non dual awareness for any doubts to be erased and to know this.
      It took many years trying to figure this out and could not, but when it suddenly did occur, incidentally while fasting and meditating, there was no one there to notice that it was occurring. It seemed that no one who was not even looking for it any more.  There was no one this was happening to. No one who got this. No one to be enlightened.
      This part also took another year or so with more intense self enquiry/mindfulness practice. Not just asking the question "Who I am" but watching what was going on inside my mind, my reactions, emotions, feelings, impulses, instincts, physical pain, hunger, cravings during every waking moment of the day. Watching any habits or proclivities, that would arise. Any likes or dislikes. Aversions or preferences. I became the witness until one day it was not there anymore then another shift occurred. What I understood is that you are THAT which ultimately is ineffable non dual awareness.
      What you also see is up to this point everyone and everything is your teacher and essentially this is you.
      ~ ~ ~
      Read the entire interview here: