#4464 - Monday, December 26, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2011

      #4464 - Monday, December 26, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Year's end

      By Matsuo Basho
      (1644 - 1694)

      English version by Lucien Stryk and Takashi Ikemoto
      from Zen Poetry: Let the Spring Breeze Enter

      Year's end,
      all corners
      of this floating world, swept.

      photo by Alan Larus

      You don't want no pie in the sky when you die,
      You want something here on the ground while you're still around.

      ~ Muhammad Ali

      by Louise Christian

      by Ben Gilberti on Facebook

      If there is anything I have learned about men and women, it is
      that there is a deeper spirit of altruism than is ever evident. Just
      as the rivers we see are minor compared to the underground
      streams, so, too, the idealism that is visible is minor compared to
      what people carry in their hearts unreleased or scarcely released.

      ~ Dr. Albert Schweitzer

      For if you are caught up in ideas, then you will be caught up in
      the self. And even if you are caught up in ideas about
      nothingness, you will still be caught up in the self. That's why we
      should not get attached to the belief that things either exist or do
      not exist. This is the hidden meaning when I say that my
      teachings are a raft to be abandoned when you see true being.

      ~ Diamond Sutra

      by Tony Cartledge on Facebook

      Robert Bly once said, of growing older: "I was very surprised to
      find out, as my poems pick up more and more of the past of
      human beings, the ancient culture, more and more of the grief
      and the suffering of human beings — the poems become funnier!
      I don't understand that, but I love it. I feel that there's some way
      that as the mind gets more mature, in the midst of a lot of grief,
      it's able to dance a little!"

      Henry James

      "Poor Mr. James," Virginia Woolf once said:
      "He never quite met the right people."
      Poor James. He never quite met the
      children of light and so he had to invent them.
      Then, when people said: No one is like that.
      Your books are not reality, he replied:

      So much the worse for reality.

      He described himself as "slow to conclude,
      orotund, a slow-moving creature, circling his rooms
      slowly masticating his food."

      Once, when a nephew asked his advice
      on how to live, he searched his mind.
      Number One, be kind, he said.
      Number Two, be kind and
      Number Three, be kind.

      by June Beisch, from Fatherless Woman

      In a short video extract, Francis Lucille urges us to live as if we are
      all universal consciousness by acknowledging the same presence
      that exists in each and every one of us. Communication with
      others then becomes a direct path towards compassion and love;
      all of life can be seen, therefore, as something playful and
      magical... indeed, a miracle itself.