#4463, Sunday - December 25, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4463, Sunday, December 25, 2011

      On winter solstice, I stopped by Smith's (a local grocery store) to get gas, at a busy time. The gas tank on my Forester is on the passenger side, different than most cars. It's crazy at Smith's because it's generally crowded with lines (they have cheap gas) and I can't just drive up behind a guy with a truck and wait in line like a normal person. I have to wait in FRONT of a car to pull in when they pull out. I'm waiting about 15 minutes for this guy to pull out and up behind him pulls a low car with dark glass. I run over -- I'm happy as a puppy, my normal state, and my demeanor is like this: this is one of my beloved neighbors who will of course understand! The young woman rolls down the window about 1/2", barely looking at me - her manner is quite surly. There are a few other young people in the car. I'm a little shocked, caught off-guard by her state, but still warm and friendly and unaffected. "Hi! I've been waiting about 15 minutes for this pump, so you might want to try another pump." I totally assume she wants this information and will do the decent thing. She rolls up the window without saying anything, so I turn and bound back to my car. The guy in the truck pulls out, and just as I'm about to pull in, the young woman pulls in, right in front of me. Wow. Shocked.

      I generally am not in the company of those who are hurting so badly they need to say such a direct "Fuck you." Wow. Shocked. As I drove away, presence digested the shock in my body and I was struck by the sense that I had just witnessed the source of evil in a mild form - the denial of human connection, pleasure in the use of power because the connection to love is long gone.

      (Father, forgive them, they do not know what they are doing.)

      I had earlier that day posted a video that brought tears to my eyes - it was created by someone who wanted to show how love and kindness spread. A boy wipes out on his skateboard on the sidewalk in front of a construction worker - the worker helps him to his feet, makes sure he's okay, and the boy walks on, runs into an old woman with arms full of groceries, and takes them and walks and chats with her across the street. The old woman then comes upon a young woman who can't find change for a meter, and hands her a quarter and so on. Yes! I'm thinking, Yes! Love and kindness ignite the heart, and go viral. Exponential results are possible! Same with the spread of unkindness, venom, power over, refusal to join - it stirs the hurt animal in us, it triggers our powerlessness and can, if we're not watching, evoke retribution, either there at the person who "wronged" us, or later onto someone safer.

      The buck stops here. But why does the buck stop here? (You have learnt how it was said: 'Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.' But I say to you, offer the wicked man no resistance. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; if a man takes you to law and would have your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone orders you to go one mile, go two miles with him.) The buck stops here, where there is a willingness to feel whatever needs to be felt (hurt, humiliation, anger, being the "loser," the "wrong one") in order to not pass on the pain and harm. It stops here in the fire in my heart, in the fire of THE Heart, where alive and present connection to things as they are in THIS moment can be married and surrendered to, and all things are known as One.

      This season celebrates the birth of this holy light of the Divine Child within each of us, the aspect of us that can look upon harm with innocence and compassion, feeling in the heart the pain of being human, of living on this earth with all the harm, living on it but not being of it. Jesus, who embodies this light also said, I have told you all this so that you may find peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but be brave: I have conquered the world. To conquer the world is to live inside the light within as peace, rather than within the ball of past pain and concepts that make up the warring "me." Dropping again and again into the simplicity of this vibrating, wholesome moment allows us to leave war behind and face what it is in us that wants to go there, and meet and digest it at its root.

      The young woman and her friends were indigenous, probably from Taos Pueblo. People with the color of my skin took her people's land, way of life, perpetrated all kinds of violence. Maybe someone up her family tree was raped or killed or sent away to boarding school by one of the people with my color skin. Is it okay that she can't find the love when she looks in my face? Yeah. Can she have the gas pump? Yeah. We're in this together, no exceptions.

      Whatever you celebrate this holiday season, whatever you are asked to meet, whether plenty or scarcity, joy or pain, know this: we are here to love and take care of each other. May I be an instrument of that and may my words here inspire the Divine Love inside your heart to ignite and set fire to every form of delusion in your path. Happy Holy-days.

      LOVELOVELOVE jeannie

      - Jeannie Zandi, posted to Facebook

      The mind that dies every day to the memories of yesterday, to all the joys and sorrows of the past such a mind is fresh, innocent, it has no age; and without that innocence, whether you are ten or sixty, you will not find God.

      - Krishnamurti, posted to Distillation

      Merry Christmas to all
      and to all a good life!

      No matter what happens, darlin' -
      the ups, downs, insults, betrayals,
      gossip, hurt, pain, abandonment,

      Arms are waiting to hold you,
      comfort you, love you beyond imaginin'.

      Wrinkled left arm>>>>You<<<
      And in return? Just promise sweetheart,
      If you get the chance to sit it out or dance,
      no matter what, You won t forget to dance!

      I love you.

      mom
      grandmama
      amrita
      toots
      dharma grandmother

      - dg, posted to DailyDharma

      Finally, some Christmas songs that you may not have heard yet this season:

      The Band - Christmas Must Be Tonight:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5O7vhv49eE&feature=related

      Clarence Carter - Back Door Santa:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtTfosvGdTY&feature=related

      Jerry Garcia and David Grisman - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen:
      http://networkedblogs.com/s02rg

      Grateful Dead - Run Rudolph Run:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn9v4KS7FMA&feature=youtu.be

      Pink Floyd - Merry Xmas Song: