#4458 - Monday, December 19, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2011
      #4458 - Monday, December 19, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      There are many who have 20/20 vision yet see nothing at all. One
      must want to look in order to see and the amount of "sight" one
      has is secondary. Tara Becker Miller is a blind photographer who retains
      6% vision in one eye. Her work is featured here. Please see her bio at
      the end for more. - Gloria

      The plain truth is too simple for the seeker after complexity,
      who is looking for things he cannot understand.
      - Hazrat Inayat Khan (via Bowl of Saki)
      Questioner: Since two and a half years I am traveling, restless,
      seeking. I want to live a good life, a holy life. What am I to do?
      Sri Nisargadatta: Go home, take charge of your father’s business,
      look after your parents in their old age. Marry the girl who is
      waiting for you, be loyal, be simple, be humble. Hide your virtue,
      live silently. The five senses and the three qualities (gunas - Rajas,
      Sattva, Tamas) are your eight steps in yoga. And ‘I am’ is the
      Great Reminder (the Mahamantra). You can learn from them all
      you need to know. Be attentive, enquire ceaselessly. That is all.
      by Kiki Bakshi on Facebook

      Seeing into one's self-nature is seeing into nothingness. Seeing
      into nothingness is true seeing and eternal seeing. - Shen-hui
      Interlake, Manitoba, Canada
      photo by Tara Becker Miller
      The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden
      because of their simplicity and familiarity… We fail to be struck by
      what, once seen, is most striking and most powerful. - Wittgenstein

      Enlightenment only becomes available when it has been accepted
      that it cannot be achieved.
      Doctrines, processes, and progressive paths that seek
      enlightenment only exacerbate the problem they address by
      reinforcing the idea that the self can find something that it
      presumes it has lost. It is that very effort, that investment in
      self-identity that continuously recreates the illusion of separation
      from oneness. This is the veil that we believe exists. It is the
      dream of individuality.
      - Tony Parsons
      "As It Is"  - The Open Secret of Spiritual Awakening
      Jaques Cartier Park, Quebec, Canada
      photo by Tara Becker Miller

      He who looks at the foam speaks of mystery,
      but he who looks at the sea is full of wonder.
      He who looks at the foam expresses intentions,
      but he who looks at the sea makes his heart the
      He who looks at the flakes of foam makes plans,
      but he who looks at the sea has no will.  He who
      looks at the foam keeps busy, but he who looks
      at the sea is totally pure.

      - Rumi
      Muriel Maufroy
      "Breathing Truth - Quotations from Jalaluddin Rumi"
      by Along The Way

      Matlock Beach, Manitoba, Canada
      photo by Tara Becker Miller
      The Poet's Obligation
      By Pablo Neruda
      (1904 - 1973)
      To whoever is not listening to the sea
      this Friday morning, to whoever is cooped up
      in house or office, factory or woman
      or street or mine or harsh prison cell:
      to him I come, and, without speaking or looking,
      I arrive and open the door of his prison,
      and a vibration starts up, vague and insistent,
      a great fragment of thunder sets in motion
      the rumble of the planet and the foam,
      the raucous rivers of the ocean flood,
      the star vibrates swiftly in its corona,
      and the sea is beating, dying and continuing.
      So, drawn on by my destiny,
      I ceaselessly must listen to and keep
      the sea's lamenting in my awareness,
      I must feel the crash of the hard water
      and gather it up in a perpetual cup
      so that, wherever those in prison may be,
      wherever they suffer the autumn's castigation,
      I may be there with an errant wave,
      I may move, passing through windows,
      and hearing me, eyes will glance upward
      saying, "How can I reach the sea?"
      And I shall broadcast, saying nothing,
      the starry echoes of the wave,
      a breaking up of foam and of quicksand,
      a rustling of salt withdrawing,
      the grey cry of sea-birds on the coast.
      So, through me, freedom and the sea
      will make their answer to the shuttered heart.
      from On the Blue Shore of Silence: Poems of the Sea
       by Pablo Neruda / Translated by Alastair Reid

      Tara Becker Miller
      Tara's eyesight has been poor since birth. She contracted
      congenital rubella syndrome in utero.
      When she was a toddler, Tara parent's, on the advice of doctors,
      agreed to an operation to help her see again. The procedure was
      a success. She was able to go to school, she had poor vision, but
      Tara could see. In her teenage years her eyes started
      deteriorating again; Glaucoma was now robbing her of sight. In
      her early thirties Tara Miller was declared legally blind.
      Tara told me she always loved art and beauty. She loved drawing
      and painting. When she lost most of her eyesight she also lost her
      willingness to create.
      She said people encouraged her to participate in other hobbies
      like Tai Chi, but when her husband started taking photography
      lessons and brought Tara on shoots for school assignments,
      suddenly she wanted to do more. She wanted to take pictures
      Jeff showed her that when the pictures came home she could
      enlarge them on her computer screen up to 500X. Tara was
      suddenly able to see again. She could see the grooves on a
      raspberry. She could see the petals on a flower. She could see the
      fur on a rabbit.
      Today, Tara Miller is an award-winning photographer.
      Tara says in her biography; I have finally started to be taken
      seriously for my ability and not my disability. Because I don't look
      legally blind some people have laughed at me when I tell them
      what I do or assume my husband Jeff does all the work. I had
      trouble coping with more vision loss over the past 20 years and
      finally found my "inner peace" with myself when I took up
      photography again in life and want to let others know to not give
      up what you are passionate about in life.
      See more photos here: