#4451 - Sunday, December 11, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4451, Sunday, December 11, 2011

      "How shall I attain Eternal Life?"

      "Eternal Life is now. Come into the present."

      "But I am in the present now, am I not?"

      "No."

      "Why not?"

      "Because you haven't dropped your past."

      "Why should I drop my past? Not all of it is bad."

      "The past is to be dropped not because it is bad but because it is dead."

      - Anthony de Mello, SJ, posted to The_Now2

      A radical change can take place only outside the field of thought, not within it, and the mind can leave the field only when it sees the confines, the boundaries of the field, and realizes that any change within the field is no change at all. This is real meditation.

      - Krishnamurti, posted to Distillation

      Word Fog

      Words, even if they come from
      the soul, hide the soul, as fog

      rising off the sea covers the sea,
      the coast, the fish, the pearls.

      It's noble work to build coherent
      philosophical discourses, but

      they block out the sun of truth.
      See God's qualities as an ocean,

      this world as foam on the purity
      of that. Brush away and look

      through the alphabet to essence,
      as you do the hair covering your

      beloved's eyes. Here's the mystery:
      this intricate, astonishing world

      is proof of God's presence even as
      it covers the beauty. One flake

      from the wall of a gold mine does
      not give much idea what it's like

      when the sun shines in and turns
      the air and the workers golden.

      - Rumi Ghazal 921, version by Coleman Barks, with Nevit Ergin, from The Glance, posted to Sunlight

      Essence is emptiness
      Everything else, accidental.
      Emptiness brings peace to loving,
      Everything else, disease.
      In this world of trickery,
      Emptiness is what your soul wants.

      - Rumi, posted to DailyDharma

      Enlighten your desires.
      Meditate on who you are.
      Quit imagining.

      What you want is profoundly expensive,
      and difficult to find,
      yet closeby.

      Don't search for it. It is nothing,
      and a nothing within nothing.

      - Lalla, version by Coleman Barks, from Naked Song, posted to AlongTheWay

      In the beginning was only Being,
      One without a second.
      Out of himself he brought forth the cosmos
      And entered into everything in it.
      There is nothing that does not come from him.
      Of everything he is the innermost Self.
      He is the truth; he is the Self supreme.
      You are that, Shvetaketu; you are that.

      Merge in the sea and become one with it,
      Forgetting they were ever separate streams,
      So do all creatures lose their separateness
      When they merge at last into pure Being.
      There is nothing that does not come from him.
      Of everything he is the innermost Self.
      He is the truth; he is the Self supreme.
      You are that, Shvetaketu; you are that!

      - from the Chandogya Upanishad, posted to SufiMystic