#4443 - Saturday, December 5, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4443, Saturday, December 5, 2011

      Put a chair in the middle of a room.
      Sit in the chair.
      See who comes to visit.

      - Ajahn Chah

      Walk around, take a shower, drink coffee, go to work, pick up the kids, watch tv, meditate, make love, post on facebook... and see who comes to visit. What if every visiting thought, emotion, sound, sensation, just visits and we pay no attention to them?

      What happens is that all that energy we put into reacting to everything going on around us, within us... converts into compassion...

      Really! It does. Try it. If we do nothing about what presents itself for the day, our thrust for Buddhahood, our innate Buddha Nature, is freed and it can only bring joy... in the spontaneous response to the needs of others who we then encourage to sit with us and watch who visits.

      - dg, posted to DailyDharma

      Fear is
      The greatest obstacle
      To love's

      Is merely an emotion
      From it.

      But fear,
      Rooted in identity
      Seizes the heart
      Constraining apparently the self
      To a mere form
      Robbing it
      Of its inherent

      So fear not the fear
      Denying it not
      Nor affirming
      Face it directly
      And watch fearlessly.

      Without feeding it thoughts
      Yet ceaselessly asking
      "Whose fear it is?"
      Let the all pervading
      Fire of love
      Its cold grip
      To ashes.

      Oh, dervish!
      The only true freedom
      Is the freedom

      - Yosy Flug, posted to SufiMystic

      Joy and sorrow are the light and shade of life; without light and shade no picture is clear.

      Bowl of Saki, December 3, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      Joy and sorrow are each part of the other. If it were not for joy, sorrow would not exist; and if it were not for sorrow, joy would not be experienced.

      There is going forward and there is going backwards, there is success and there is failure, there is light and there is darkness, there is joy and there is sadness, there is birth and there is death. All things that we can know, feel and perceive have their opposites. It is the opposite quality which brings about balance. The world would not exist if there were not water and earth. Every thing and every being needs these two qualities in order to exist, to act, and to fulfill the purpose of life; for each quality is incomplete without the other. ... by a deep insight into nature we discover that the creation is the same as the Creator, that the source is the same as the goal, and that the two only mean one. There are two ends to a line but the line is one, and this oneness is manifest in all things, though man seldom gives any thought to this subject. This amazing manifestation, this world of variety, keeps us so puzzled, so confused, and so absorbed in it that we hardly give ourselves any time to see this wonderful phenomenon: how the one and only Being shows Himself even in the world of variety.

      How does a part of the world leave the world?
      How can wetness leave water?

      Don't try to put out a fire
      by throwing on more fire!
      Don't wash a wound with blood!

      No matter how fast you run,
      your shadow more than keeps up.
      Sometimes, it's in front!

      Only full, overhead sun
      diminishes your shadow.

      But that shadow has been serving you!
      What hurts you, blesses you.
      Darkness is your candle.
      Your boundaries are your quest.

      I can explain this, but it would break
      the glass cover on your heart,
      and there's no fixing that.

      You must have shadow and light source both.
      Listen, and lay your head under the tree of awe.

      When from that tree, feathers and wings sprout
      on you, be quieter than a dove.
      Don't open your mouth for even a cooooooo.

      When a frog slips into the water, the snake
      cannot get it. Then the frog climbs back out
      and croaks, and the snake moves toward him again.

      Even if the frog learned to hiss, still the snake
      would hear through the hiss the information
      he needed, the frog voice underneath.

      But if the frog could be completely silent,
      then the snake would go back to sleeping,
      and the frog could reach the barley.

      The soul lives there in the silent breath.

      And that grain of barley is such that,
      when you put it in the ground,
      it grows.
      Are these enough words,
      or shall I squeeze more juice from this?
      Who am I, my friend?

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 2155, version by Coleman Barks, from The Essential Rumi, posted to Sunlight