#4418 - Sunday, November 6, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4418, Sunday, November 6, 2011

      There are two parallel tasks in spiritual life. One is to discover selflessness, the other is to develop a healthy sense of self. Both sides of that apparent paradox must be fulfilled for us to awaken.

      - Jack Kornfield, from A Path With Heart, posted to DailyDharma

      My ego is stubborn, often drunk, impolite.
      My loving: Finely sensitive, impatient, confused.
      Please take messages from one to the other,
      reply and counter-reply.

      - Rumi, posted to Distillation

      So far as past errors are concerned, forget
      them and start afresh, as if it were your first
      day in this body; but so far as your present
      contacts are concerned, be kind to them, as
      if it were your last day in this body.

      - Paul Brunton, posted to AlongTheWay

      Turning Toward Kindness

      Anyone who genuinely and constantly with both hands
      looks for something, will find it.

      Though you are lame and bent over, keep moving
      toward the Friend. With speech, with silence,
      with sniffing about, stay on track.

      Whenever some kindness comes to you, turn
      that way, toward the source of kindness.

      Love-things originate in the ocean.
      Restlessness leads to rest.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III: 978-981, 987-992, version by Coleman Barks, from One-Handed Basket Weaving, posted to Sunlight

      M: . Use the mind to investigate the manifested. Be like the chick that pecks at the shell. Speculating about life outside the shell would have been of little use to it, but pecking at the shell breaks the shell from within and liberates the chick. Similarly, break the mind from within by investigation and exposure of its contradictions and absurdities.

      Q: The longing to break the shell, where does it come from?

      M: From the unmanifested.

      Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That, posted to The_Now2