#4411 - Sunday, October 30, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4411, Sunday, October 30, 2011

      There is a Reality which is Indivisible, One, Alone, the Source and Being of all; not a thing, nor even a mind, but pure Spirit or clear Consciousness; and we are That and nothing but That, for That is our true Nature; and the only way to find It is to look steadily within, where are to be found utmost peace, unfading joy, and eternal life itself.

      - Douglas Harding

      Be still and listen
      To the sounds around you.
      The sounds are heard, aren't they?
      Heard perfectly.
      Now shift the attention from the sound
      To that which is hearing the sounds.
      What is that?
      What sound does that itself make?
      Ask yourself, who am I?

      Now feel the sensations in the body,
      Just as they are:
      The breathing, the places of tightness and relaxation, pleasure and pain.
      Let the attention shift, from the sensation in the body
      To that which is feeling the body.
      What is that which feels?
      What is that which says "my body"?
      And ask, who am I?

      Let the eyes be gently open.
      Look, see what is here.
      Notice the shape of it, the color of it, the form of it.
      Now let the attention shift from the object to that which sees.
      What is that which sees?
      Again, ask yourself, who am I?

      Whatever arises to be experienced, Shift your attention from the object to the experiencer. Seek out your own presence, and discover what that is.

      All our life we use the terms "I" and "mine" and "me." We talk about my body, my thoughts, my mind, my family, my money, my life. We know what the body is, we know what a thought is, but do we know who claims to own these things? As long as this question remains unexamined, we remain trapped in a world of limitation, fully identified with things that have a beginning and an end in time.

      When you start to inquire in this way, you may pass through many layers, rather like peeling an onion. Every time you ask the question, "Who am I?" the mind will kick up an answer. "I am a man or a woman, I am rich or poor, I am educated or a simple person." But do not stop with any of these answers. Keep asking and going deeper. To this question, all the answers given by the mind are false. You may shift from identifying with the body to identifying with your thoughts, believing that you are the thinking mind. But that, too, is being experienced. You may drop deeper, into an identification with feelings. But feelings also are passing, coming and going. Finally, you come to the label "me." Who am I? Me. I am me.

      Stay with this "me." Try to find it; try to investigate its real nature. You may be surprised to find that it is a challenge to locate a "me." It cannot be found. It simply is not there. And yet this moment is being experienced; sounds are being heard; form and movement are being seen. In the absence of any entity to be found, what remains?

      This simple practice returns you home to yourself, to infinity.

      - Arjuna Ardagh, from Leap Before You Look

      Still Here

      Meeting all things today,
      with their other sides intact

      In the full emptiness,
      all things have this balance:
      light in dark, and dark in light
      joy in sorrow, sorrow in joy.
      Today it all comes together
      without me.

      Its amazing
      how the world
      all keeps happening
      without my meaning-making
      mechanisms,
      Just as it is,
      already finished, always in motion.

      - Alice Walker

      Rest and Be Taken

      When there is deep abundance
      there is nowhere to abide.
      There is nowhere to rest
      or grasp onto
      and yet there is rest

      The sky abides
      yet it never rests.
      Neither can we say that
      the sky is not always at rest.
      We talk about the sky
      as if it were something
      as if it actually exists -
      and yet we cannot say that
      the sky does not exist.
      The sky is nothing but
      coming and going.

      Everything is perfectly spontaneous.
      The coming and going arise mutually
      instantaneously.
      If the true I is asleep
      you will miss the point entirely
      and you will continue to dwell
      in the world of opposites.

      So see the two as one
      and the one as empty
      and be liberated
      within the world of duality.

      At first it seems
      as if begoing follows becoming.
      But look even closer
      and you will see
      that there are only
      flashes of lightning
      illuminating the empty sky.

      Life and death
      becoming and begoing
      are only words.
      In order to save your life
      you must see that you die
      instantaneously
      moment to moment
      instant to instant.

      Now where are you going to abide?
      And where are you not abiding already?

      Indeed there is nowhere
      to rest your head
      and there is nothing but rest.
      So let go of all ideas
      about permanence and impermanence
      about cause and effect
      and about no cause and no effect.
      All such notions are dualistic concepts.

      The Truth of what you are
      is completely beyond all duality
      and all notions of non-duality,
      and yet it includes duality