Tuesday, August 15

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2000
      dear friends,

      one thing is clear.

      each and every person with a fervent desire for realization
      will awaken.

      there seems to be almost more teachers than students these

      weather one is choosing a teacher or finely discerning
      between pure being itself and the "i" thought, now, as in
      ancient times,

      a keen discrimination is key for complete absolute

      teachers appear as needed, teachers disappear.

      a disciple asked a guru once, "will there be a time when
      the guru is unnecessary?" the guru replied with love in
      his/her eyes,

      "there will be a time when the disciple is unnecessary!"

      love, cee

      Ale and I went to Santiago, to see her cousin Carola off,
      who's going to the US for two years with her husband who is
      doing his MBA. We were at their house and also Ales Aunt
      was there. The Aunt has gotten into a mix of spiritual
      things, and so we started talking about consciousness. The
      conversation went on for a bit more than an hour. Man I'm
      so surprised at what I hear myself saying to people, not
      just people like them, who may be a little more connected,
      but regular people.

      From time to time, before, maybe a couple of years ago, I'd
      try to get something going, but everybody just seemed to
      look at me funny. I think it was because I used to get into
      it like sex without foreplay. Being here has help quite a
      bit in seeing so many combinations and permutations, at
      seeing how to connect more clearly. Now I get into
      conversations and the next thing I know, an hour has passed
      and everybody is bristling with energy. (Nothing to do with
      me, just, I hadn't realized how much people really connect
      to some part of this, how it can be a thing that they
      really understand, or want to understand.) It's just so
      cool to be in conversations like those. Eyes seem to
      sparkle, everbody's got a story to tell. And the good thing
      about Nonduality, is that in any topic there can be found a
      valid starting point. Obviously too, some are not ready,
      and that's all there is to it.

      On the way home, about a 120 Km (80 miles), there was a
      full moon. Ale and I were talking, about "being" and
      consciousness, she was at the doorway.. playing with how it
      could be that one "becomes" how their "soul" forms and how
      all "THIS" could be. She was saying words like "weird" and
      "strange", and "incredible". Geez, I was outside the car
      about 3 meters up, then I WAS the car, then the car was
      floating, then her and I were one, the world was hardly
      never more a dream than that moment. I could plainly see
      the other side, I mean the projector screen was down, with
      the little pull-down handle and I could almost hear the
      projector purring away. WOW!

      But then she said that she just wasn't ready yet. I said
      "try just a couple of seconds!" "No", she said, "if I take
      just a couple of seconds, I'd go over and I'm not ready
      yet", "OK", I said, and just super content for the
      progress. I mean she knows... she's got it, she's just got
      to let go, and she'll do it, I know. That's what was so
      cool. When she's ready, she's gonna' blast through, and I'd
      better watch out. She's got a ton of power in her.

      Then we talked a little about how life is like a lucid
      dream; in a lucid dream you can do what you want. In life,
      when you synchronize with "the intent" of being, what you
      want and need is there. (It's usually more than you

      Pretty good day, all in all. And the good thing is, the
      days are all just blending together, and what's needed IS

      Dave (Manchine)

      All human beings are hypnotized and this is not a theory
      but a proveable Fact! --Bertram

      sure, okay. isn't that really a "given" for this group...
      that's the starting point. we're puttering around in maya.

      "hypnotized" has a negative connotation. so aren't you
      mistakenly condeming this holy state of maya? "maya -is-
      nirvana" -- written on bathroom wall in nebraska.

      it seems more interesting/challenging to figure out the
      correct function of this hypnotized state.

      --Jason Pelley

      Saying that you are already One with the Universe isn't
      being direct? What do you want?

      Telling you that what looks out of your eyes right now is
      God isn't interesting? What do you want?

      How more direct can I be? What do you want me to say?

      People! Sheesh!

      Peace - Michael

      Direct perception is not difficult but writing from direct
      perception is. That's why most people aren't poets. Poets
      are in the business of direct perception (most of them,
      anyway). It is extremely invigorating to take a walk and
      just focus on awareness. For example, I just went for a
      quick walk after lunch. I walked out towards the little
      park that is by the harbor. I felt the warm sunshine and
      fresh air on my skin. The blue of the sky and the
      contrasting blue of the water filled my eyes. My lungs
      filled with outside air and I noticed how good it feels to
      breathe. But immediately meaning began to creep in, because
      I noticed the fluffy white clouds in the sky and I noticed
      that the whole scene seemed full of conscious energy and I

      "The clouds are more I than I."

      Then as I went to find a park bench to sit on I noticed a
      man sitting on a bench reading a book. The man was round
      and sleek looking and the book was called "Deep Sea Diver",
      and I thought that he must be an amphibian! Equally at home
      - no, more at home - in the water as on dry land. And then
      I thought that maybe he was a deep sea diver from a higher
      dimension, some sort of being who dropped down on that
      bench with an invisible cord tethering him to life support
      above, wearing a human-looking disguise...

      I guess what I am trying to say is that the more you engage
      in direct perception the more meanings and metaphors and
      silly thoughts proliferate. But they aren't thoughts
      "about", they are thoughts arising "from".

      Now I am back at my desk. How did I get here? When did I
      stop focusing on awareness? I stopped when I started
      thinking about writing this...so it goes....

      --David Hodges

      I am such an analytical person. I earned my living putting
      together business plans and creating spreadsheets. The day
      I got my first glimpse of 'thinking about' as different
      than directly perceiving was, how to say it, profound. I
      directly perceived myself 'thinking about' something. A
      momentary perception, a sideways glance. To be able to
      identify a thought, an emotion, a sensation as separate and
      distinct functions is very interesting. I thought that
      thinking about was self-observing. I think this is a common
      trap for the thinking types.

      --Marcia Paul

      For every open teaching there is its secret component. Who
      hasn't had the experience of reading the same simple
      passage every few months or years and extracting new
      meaning each time?

      A flower unfolds. Through its center is seen its unopened
      portion. Existence is a constant unfolding and the
      revelation of an eternally folded aspect.

      Our old friend Lobster said:

      "Beyond you is Another
      In you is Another
      for you are an allusion
      to Another
      beyond the thought of you
      Another "

      The unfolding is never ending, leading from transformation
      to transformation.

      Nondualism says there is a moment, an Interval, a stopping,
      a space, a pause, between the folded and unfolded portion,
      and that it may be entered, and once entered it is seen to
      be everything, and many other things could be said about
      it. Humorously, it is its own flower holding its own
      Interval between the unfolded and the folded.

      How can one be anything but a Searcher? A seeker? --Jerry

      There is a really interesting web site at:

      Stanley Sobottka, Emeritus Professor of Physics at the
      University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia has a
      wonderful site where he presents "A Course in

      This course consists of three parts: Part One - Quantum
      theory and consciousness, Part Two - The metaphsics of
      nonduality, and Part three - The end of suffering and the
      discovery of our true nature.

      He's a fan of Sri Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj,
      Ramesh Balsekar, and others.

      He will even answer questions posed to him via email.

      You might care to have a look.

      --Victor Torrico

      NISARGADATTA SPEAKS contributed by Gloria Lee

      The "M" in the dialogue is Nisargadatta

      Q: Have you no problems?

      M: I do have problems. I told you already. To be, to exist
      with a name and form is painful, yet I love it.

      Q: But you love everything!

      M: In existence everything is contained. My very nature is
      to love; even the painful is lovable.

      Q: It does not make it less painful. Why not remain in the

      M: It is the instinct of exploration, the love of the
      unknown, that brings me into existence. It is in the nature
      of being to see adventure in becoming, as it is in the very
      nature of becoming to seek peace in being. This alteration
      of being and becoming is inevitable: but my home is beyond.

      Q: Is your home in God?

      M: To love and worship a god is also ignorance. My home is
      beyond all notions, however sublime.

      Q: But God is not a notion! It is the reality beyond

      M: You may use any word you like. Whatever you may think
      of, I am beyond it.

      Q: Once you know your home, why not stay in it? What takes
      you out of it?

      M: Out of love for corporate existence one is born and once
      born, one gets involved in destiny. Destiny is inseparable
      from becoming. The desire to be the particular makes you
      into a person with all its personal past and future. Look
      at some great man, what a wonderful man he was! And yet how
      troubled was his life and limited it fruits. How utterly
      dependent is the personality of man and how indifferent is
      its world. And yet we love it and protect it for its very

      Q: Is there not a state of absolute perfection which does
      not decay?

      M: Whatever has a beginning must have an end. In the
      timeless all is perfect, here and now.

      Q: But shall we reach the timeless in due course?

      M: In due course we shall come back to the starting point.
      Time cannot take us out of time, as space cannot take us
      out of space. All you get by waiting is more waiting.
      Absolute perfection is here and now, not in some future,
      near or far. The secret is in action - here and now. It is
      your behavior that blinds you to yourself. Disregard
      whatever you think yourself to be and act as if you were
      absolutely perfect - whatever your idea of perfection may
      be. All you need is courage.

      Q: Where do I find such courage?

      M: In yourself, of course. Look within.

      Q: Your grace will help.

      M: My grace is telling you now: look within. All you need
      you have. Use it. Behave as best you know, do what you
      think you should. Don't be afraid of mistakes; you can
      always correct them, only intentions matter. The shape
      things take is not within your power; the motives of your
      actions are.

      Q: How can action born from imperfection lead to

      M: Action does not lead to perfection; perfection is
      expressed in action. As long as you judge yourself by your
      expressions, give them utmost attention; when you realize
      your own being, your behavior will be perfect -

      Q: If I am timelessly perfect, then why was I born at all?
      What is the purpose of this life?

      M:It is like asking: what does it profit gold to be made
      into an ornament? The ornament gets the color and the
      beauty of gold; gold is not enriched. Similarly, reality
      expressed in action makes the action meaningful and

      Q: What does the real gain through its expressions?

      M: What can it gain? Nothing whatsoever. But it is in the
      nature of love to express itself, to affirm itself, to
      overcome difficulties. Once you have understood that the
      world is love in action, you will look at it quite
      differently. But first your attitude to suffering must
      change. Suffering is primarily a call for attention, which
      itself is a movement of love. More than happiness, love
      wants growth, the widening and deepening of consciousness
      and being. Whatever prevents becomes a cause of pain and
      love does not shirk from pain.

      There is one thing I have never been able to understand.
      Why men who are bald cover their heads with hair grown long
      at the back and brushed forward. Bald heads can be quite
      sexy and attractive, but heads covered in that way just
      look ridiculous to me.

      I have been reading 'Freedom from the Known' by J.
      Krishnamurti, and on the cover is a picture of him where he
      has done just this. Now, if he is free, why does he need to
      do that? Why not just show off his naked head in all of its

      I'm sorry if this is really frivolous, but it just seemed
      really incongruous to me.

      Allspirit Website: http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      That's a great question!!! Secret of the ages! If anyone
      knows the answer, please forward it to me!

      My story is, you know how people who suffer anorexia are
      stuck with an image that they need to lose weight even
      though they don't? Pardon my taking humorous advantage of a
      serious disease, but I always felt I was scalporexic. I'm
      stuck with the image that I have a lot of hair, but people
      tell me I don't. Hey, I think I do! --Jerry

      It's no secret at all, Gregji. At some time before his
      passing, Mr. Jiddu Krishnamurti had obviously managed to
      get over his personal passion for one Ms. Gillian Eardley,
      and therefore felt free to adopt a grooming mode contrary
      to Ms. Eardley's stated preference for bald pates, as valid
      and well- reasoned as that preference may well be. Perhaps
      now we can move on to the issue of guru hygiene -- for
      example, did the chain-smoking Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
      take measures to cleanse his breath? Did Sri Ramana
      Maharshi wash his dhoti frequently enough? Enquiring minds
      want to know! --Bruce Morgen

      Krishnamurthi was also fond of murder mysteries. Rajneesh
      used to dye his hair black until someone told him that
      westerners associated grey hair with wisdom, so he stopped

      Perhaps Krishnamurthi let someone else make those types of
      decisions for him, and that person had a thing about

      All the photos I've seen though, K was gorgeous, put
      together. Perhaps he was terribly vain! Sages have their
      foibles too. Nisargadatta Maharaj was a functionally
      illiterate potty mouthed chain smoker with no teeth who sat
      on a tiger pelt to give his talks - one of the great sages
      of this or any century!

      --Daniel Heller

      We are the Nonduality Generation.