#4392 - Saturday, October 8, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4392, Saturday, October 8, 2011

      Sometimes we find satisfaction in self-pity. The reason is that it is our nature to find satisfaction in love; and when we are confined to ourselves we begin to love ourselves, and then self-pity arises because we feel our limitation. But the love of self always brings dissatisfaction, for the self is not made to be loved; the self is made to love. The first condition to love is to forget oneself.

      - Hazrat Inayat Khan, from Mastery Through Accomplishment, posted to AlongTheWay

      if you can disentangle
      yourself from your selfish self
      all heavenly spirits
      will stand ready to serve you

      if you can finally hunt down
      your own beastly self
      you have the right
      to claim Solomon's kingdom

      you are that blessed soul who
      belongs to the garden of paradise
      is it fair to let yourself
      fall apart in a shattered house

      you are the bird of happiness
      in the magic of existence
      what a pity when you let
      yourself be chained and caged

      but if you can break free
      from this dark prison named body
      soon you will see
      you are the sage and the fountain of life

      - Rumi, Ghazal 3291, translation by Nader Khalili, from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      Have you ever experienced the dark night of the soul? Your teachings have been so helpful through this difficult period. Can you address this subject?

      The "dark night of the soul" is a term that goes back a long time. Yes, I have also experienced it. It is a term used to describe what one could call a collapse of a perceived meaning in life... an eruption into your life of a deep sense of meaninglessness. The inner state in some cases is very close to what is conventionally called depression. Nothing makes sense anymore, there's no purpose to anything. Sometimes it's triggered by some external event, some disaster perhaps, on an external level. The death of someone close to you could trigger it, especially premature death, for example if your child dies. Or you had built up your life, and given it meaning - and the meaning that you had given your life, your activities, your achievements, where you are going, what is considered important, and the meaning that you had given your life for some reason collapses.

      It can happen if something happens that you can't explain away anymore, some disaster which seems to invalidate the meaning that your life had before. Really what has collapsed then is the whole conceptual framework for your life, the meaning that your mind had given it. So that results in a dark place. But people have gone into that, and then there is the possibility that you emerge out of that into a transformed state of consciousness. Life has meaning again, but it's no longer a conceptual meaning that you can necessarily explain. Quite often it's from there that people awaken out of their conceptual sense of reality, which has collapsed.

      They awaken into something deeper, which is no longer based on concepts in your mind. A deeper sense of purpose or connectedness with a greater life that is not dependent on explanations or anything conceptual any longer. It's a kind of re-birth. The dark night of the soul is a kind of death that you die. What dies is the egoic sense of self. Of course, death is always painful, but nothing real has actually died there - only an illusory identity. Now it is probably the case that some people who've gone through this transformation realized that they had to go through that, in order to bring about a spiritual awakening. Often it is part of the awakening process, the death of the old self and the birth of the true self.

      The first lesson in A Course in Miracles says "Nothing I see in this room means anything", and you're supposed to look around the room at whatever you happen to be looking at, and you say "this doesn't mean anything", "that doesn't mean anything". What is the purpose of a lesson like that? It's a little bit like re-creating what can happen during the dark night of the soul. It's the collapse of a mind-made meaning, conceptual meaning, of lifeĀ… believing that you understand "what it's all about". With A Course in Miracles, it's a voluntary relinquishment of the human mind-made meaning that is projected, and you go voluntary into saying "I don't know what this means", "this doesn't mean anything". You wipe the board clean. In the dark night of the soul it collapses.

      You are meant to arrive at a place of conceptual meaninglessness. Or one could say a state of ignorance - where things lose the meaning that you had given them, which was all conditioned and cultural and so on. Then you can look upon the world without imposing a mind-made framework of meaning. It looks of course as if you no longer understand anything. That's why it's so scary when it happens to you, instead of you actually consciously embracing it. It can bring about the dark night of the soul - to go around the Universe without any longer interpreting it compulsively, as an innocent presence. You look upon events, people, and so on with a deep sense of aliveness. Your sense the aliveness through your own sense of aliveness, but you are not trying to fit your experience into a conceptual framework anymore.

      Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2

      It is impossible to describe the sense of magnificence that comes out of the true apperception of the nature of the individual in relation to the manifestation. The loss of personal individuality is exchanged for the gain of Totality of the cosmos.

      - Ramesh S. Balsekar, posted to Distillation