#4390 - Thursday, October 6, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2011

      #4390 - Thursday, October 6, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Like everything mental, the so-called law  of causation contradicts itself. No thing
      in  existence has a particular cause; the entire  universe contributes to the
      existence of even  the smallest thing; nothing could be as it is  without the
      universe being what it is. When  the source and the ground of everything is the
      only cause of everything, to speak of causality  as a universal law is wrong. The
      universe is not  bound by its content, because its potentialities  are infinite;
      besides it is a manifestation, or  expression of a principle fundamentally and
      totally free.

      ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

      from "I Am That", posted to Along The Way

      The Monday issue, as is often the case, did not go out until Tuesday. It had the
      first quote by Steve Jobs in the entire dozen years or so that we have been doing
      Highlights. It was a memorable one from his 2005 Commencement Address at
      Stanford University and bears repeating.

      "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't
      be trapped  by dogma - which is living with the results of other
      people's thinking. Don't let  the noise of other's opinions drown out
      your own inner voice. And most  important, have the courage to follow
      your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly
      want to become. Everything else is secondary."

      ~ Steve Jobs

      If you have missed hearing or reading this incredible speech in its entirety, here
      is a link.  It is "insanely" good, especially his comments about death.

      text and video available here:

      My third story is about death.

      When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as
      if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression
      on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every
      morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to
      do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for
      too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

      Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever
      encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything
      — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these
      things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.
      Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap
      of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no
      reason not to follow your heart.

      STEVE JOBS

      1955 - 2011

      You Reading This, Be Ready

      Starting here, what do you want to remember?
      How sunlight creeps along a shining floor?
      What scent of old wood hovers, what softened
      sound from outside fills the air?

      Will you ever bring a better gift for the world
      than the breathing respect that you carry
      wherever you go right now? Are you waiting
      for time to show you some better thoughts?

      When you turn around, starting here, lift this
      new glimpse that you found; carry into evening
      all that you want from this day. This interval you spent
      reading or hearing this, keep it for life -

      What can anyone give you greater than now,
      starting here, right in this room, when you turn around?

      ~ William Stafford

      (The Way It Is)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Be_Ready.html