HIGHLIGHTS - Sunday August 13, 2000

  • Manchine
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2000
      MICHAEL READ taste of RUMI

      You are the cure hidden in the pain.
      Concealed in anger and betrayal
      is Your compassion and loyalty.
      You are not only in heaven,
      I see Your footprints everywhere on Earth.

      When compassion fills my heart,
      free from all desire,
      I sit quietly like the earth.
      My silent cry echoes like thunder
      troughout the universe.

      I was delighted with myself,
      having offered everything I had;
      my heart, my faith, my work.
      "And who are you," you said,
      "to think you have so much to offer?
      It seems you have forgotten
      where you've come from."

      From Mu:

      Dearest, why do you weep,
      and why can't you sleep?

      Is it because that you now know
      your understanding has been all show?

      The sun and moon change in thier seasons
      well beyond the telling of your reasons.

      All of the universe, dearest, I'm bringing,
      do join in, be part of the singing!

      All is illusion, that's true,
      All is a gift, just for you!

      Fire and water!

      Peace - Michael

      MELODY and GENE:

      So, are you saying, Gene, that 'enlightened self-interest'
      is not necessarily good for one and all?

      No, I am not saying that.

      This is restated in my last two quoted paragraphs below, with which
      you apparently resonated.

      Compassion and enlightened self-interest are essentially the same
      thing. Living in compassion as the 'way of Being', is of the highest
      advantage to self and 'others'. I know it is difficult to consider
      this equation in a dispassionate way; we are all conditioned to be
      passionately idealistically 'selfless'.

      Truth is, this conditioning to be 'idealistically selfless' is a
      ploy, and nothing more; it is responsible for the implicit 'OK' which
      is given to denial and narcissism. Endless generations of humans have
      been subject to this ploy, which is nothing more than a (rather
      transparent, no pun intended) 'back-door exploit' to make people

      (In modern computer software issues, a 'back-door exploit' is what
      leaves the naive user open to others (who are aware of the
      vulnerability) snooping or invading their systems and files.
      Microsoft Internet Explorer has been found, repeatedly, to have been
      designed to allow third-party exploitation; an example is the
      notorious 'NSA key'.)

      It is common enough for people to abhor the ways of the world, and to
      see themselves as somehow above the tendencies of others. Selfless
      idealism has been taught for many many generations, and is based upon
      two principles; others are 'bad' and 'self' had darned well better
      not get uppity and think it is above others. This is hammered during
      childhood; unfortunately, it leaves the eventual 'adult' without
      sufficient ego-boundaries, and thus open to control by others. This
      is how the 'back-door exploit' works, and it works well. It works so
      well, that if a person exhibits a high opinion of themself, such is
      considered to be automatic permission to others to 'bring them down
      to size'. The words 'ego' and 'hubris' are used as diagnostic
      justifications for mass punishment of someone who has stepped out of
      line. Perhaps the most remembered victim/example of such mob
      'justice' is Jesus Christ.

      Further, the groupthink which suddenly manifests in contrast to
      individuality, when institutionalized, is known as Fascism. I am
      saying here, that 'enlightened self-interest' may call for standing
      apart from the consensus-crowd, and thus risking lynch-mob violence,
      psychic or physical. It is not easy to be self-culled from the herd,
      upon the realization that the ability to see, imparts firm and
      resilient boundaries. Enlightened self-interest is having compassion
      for oneself; it is the healing of the 'back-door exploit' breach in
      our boundaries which makes us not only vulnerable to invasion by
      hostile forces, but can in an instant, make us ourselves, members of
      the hostile forces.

      What I don't get about this, Gene, is: Who decides what is
      'truly' good? And when does that get decided? I'll put
      these questions into context by the following:

      I decide.

      I'm reminded of this story I heard once....I don't remember
      exactly how it goes.....but it was about a series of events
      and choices made by a farmer and his son. After what
      appeared to be a disastrous turn of events the farmer would
      say, "Oh, that's terrible!". But then an apparently disasterous
      choice or event would be followed by an apparent turn of
      good fortune to which the farmer would then reply, "Oh, that's
      wonderful". This turn of good fortune was followed by a
      seemingly disastrous event....which was followed by something
      that would seem quite marvelous. Each event was linked to the next
      like a row of dominos...one touching and setting into motion
      the next.

      The point of this is to say that what may appear today as a
      great choice (a choice serving my and others' best interest), may
      tomorrow be seen as a disastrous one.....followed by a self 'serving'
      followed by a self denying one. To say any of these choices
      were 'bad' or 'good' is to simply touch the trunk of an
      elephant and think you know an elephant.

      No one can really know anything; if we wait to know, we waste
      our lives, and exist as 'hypothetical entities'. Spiritual seeking is
      to get the permission of God, to be 'real'. Angry ghosts will punish
      one who says he is real.

      Having said that....what I read Byron Katie say today really
      resonated with me:

      "I know that reality is Good as it is because when I argue with it,
      I experience tension and frustration. It doesn't feel natural or
      balanced. When I recognize this fact, action becomes clear, kind,
      fearless, simple, fluid, and effortless."

      All I know to do is to follow the movement Within....no matter
      what it looks like or feels like to others. When I do so, I feel
      natural and balanced. When I don't.....when I follow 'shoulds',
      or precepts or doctrine... I get knotted up inside, and so stiff in the
      body I cannot move.

      So I'll leave it to others to decide 'what's good for everyone',
      as well as whether or not my 'self interest' is enlightened enough
      or 'truly' good.

      I would offer that your duty is to yourself only; and that to
      have compassion for yourself is a good thing.

      I suggest that if you think about it, that you will see that you are
      "mixing levels" in your ongoing argument here; self and transpersonal
      self are two separate levels, in the process of considering
      self-interest and compassion. You are you and I am me; you are you
      and they are they. If you simply deeply consider yourself, you may
      understand where I am coming from.

      When a duality exists....when I am speaking
      from my 'individuality'.....I am also speaking
      thru the veil of all my 'knowns', from my preferences,
      conditionings, and expectations. For me, this is far
      too limited a perspective to presume to know 'what
      is best' for MYSELF....much less anyone else.

      It is possible to have both perspectives at once; that is how
      one discerns what is 'good for one and all'.

      MELODY: By both perspectives are you meaning the dual and the nondual
      perspective? I don't recall ever having both perspectives at once.
      Perhaps it's possible.....I can recall no 'taste' of it.

      No, I am referring to keeping the perspective of 'self' to be a
      personal one, not to be confused with our projections of what is
      'other'. If both perspectives are held deliberately, the choices
      become much clearer. This must be done with deliberation, devoid of
      the rush to judgement which characterizes automatic thinking
      (otherwise known as jumping to conclusions).

      "There is only Self" (Just a reminder!)

      Speaking of discerning "what is good for one and all", I'm
      reminded of Osho's discourses on Meritocracy replacing
      our system of democracy. As I recall (I never read this
      very closely) Osho suggested that those who were 'clear
      seers' should choose the top officials, rather than have them
      elected by the masses. I always thought that idea needed
      a bit of work: wondering how the 'clear seers' would ever
      get selected in the first place, and by whom. :-)

      Not a new idea, by any means. Socrates expounded upon the
      concept of the 'philosopher-king', for the same (pedagogical) reasons.

      According to Freud, we are ruled by 'superego', an inner king.
      Unfortunately, this king is only as 'good' as is our conditioning. I
      say, that if the king chops off his own head if somebody looks at him
      funny, that such a king is an idiot. This is the pitiable condition
      that 'most people' are in; they are willing to lay down their *own
      interests* (compassion, love) at the drop of a hat, thus to avoid the
      fate of Jesus H. Christ.

      Fortunately, it is all a hypnotic ruse. Awakening is possible, but it
      takes 'guts and grace'.

      To proceed as if what I'm doing "is for the good
      of all" does nothing more than make me *feel* good.
      I might as well be eating a chocolate bar.

      To proceed, as you say... is the mightiest of undertakings,
      fraught with risk; to proceed only on the basis of your own decision,
      is to learn, for better of worse. To proceed on the basis of external
      standards/criteria, is to simply build a larger body of hurt and
      resentment, to avoid responsibility, and ultimately, to avoid

      To decide to move forward on the basis of one's own veracity, is
      indeed a risk, but a potentially rewarding one. This is the ultimate
      'selfishness', to actually behave as though one is real, instead of a
      hypothetical body, awaiting guidance and approval of 'others'.

      Ping! That one went thru all the way down. :-)

      thanks for the talk, Gene....

      I'm forwarding part of a dialogue between
      Sandeep and myself because I'm sensing there is
      definitely a weaving between this one and
      mine with Gene, and this issue of compassion.....

      (Notice, Bert, that I used your technique
      I'm not sure if the results were what you
      were hinting at....but it was certainly very
      useful for me today. It produced the result
      of accessing 'inner teacher' just as I used
      to do with my hypnotherapy work. )

      What I would sacrifice others for in order to protect is:
      my sense of self as a sacred entity
      ....not to be desecrated, violated, or impugned.

      And what as per Melody is that sense of her self?

      I held that question in my mind for a number of
      minutes this morning.....just letting that question
      be there, with no answers. Finally, just as I was
      about to drop the question, I saw an image of a
      bubble.....pushing hard against the outside forces
      that would burst thru it's borders. The bubble
      was struggling hard for dear life.....fighting against
      forces which would destroy it.

      Looking at this image from the 'outside' in...it's kind
      of funny in a way.....funny in that the bubble is
      'nothing' (air) at its core, and is resisting being swallowed
      by even more 'nothing'ness (air in motion).

      But the bubble, by the nature of the 'veil' of
      separation which divides it....the veil that gives it
      its sense of individuality.....views the world thru
      that lens.....which produces the effect of 'me' and
      'not me'.

      An image then follows of a bubble being carried
      by the wind....moving wherever the wind may
      carry it.

      Seeing that image makes me cry. I want to
      simply be carried by the wind! And yet I
      struggle against it so.

      You ask, Sandeep, what is the sense of self
      that fights for her 'soverign' place in this world?

      It's that bubble that is fighting against the wind.

      It's the bubble that thinks she is different and
      unique.....and wants the wind to respect her
      presense in the world.

      I read a quote of Byron Katie yesterday that
      had a deep impact on me. She said:

      (re-quote from above)
      "I know that reality is Good as it is because when I argue with it, I
      experience tension and frustration. It doesn't feel natural or
      balanced. When I recognize this fact, action becomes clear,
      kind, fearless, simple, fluid, and effortless."

      Hearing these words again after seeing the image of the
      bubble struggling against what is "natural and balanced"
      strikes deep into my heart.

      It is only by struggling against the wind, that the bubble
      has reason to fear those natural forces. By relaxing into
      them.....seeing them all as Good....the bubble moves
      effortlessly, fearlessly, fluidly....not knowing or caring
      where Life takes it.

      MELODY (earlier)
      When one steps out of the 'compassion' game, there's
      hell to pay by the players who decide to stay.

      If it is indeed to be paid, it's an issue for the 'other" to resolve.
      Of what interest or import is it of mine?

      It says to me that I may have chosen to step out of the
      'compassion game'.....to step out of society's 'game'
      of serve and be served,

      but that game still exists in me. I'm still wearing it,
      being affected by it, resisting it. It means I have
      essentially 'dropped' nothing....it's still sticking to
      my shoe like glue.

      It means I'm still cranky that there ever was a game
      to be played. It means I'm still cranky that I never
      got what I wanted.....never got what I demand
      over and over again of life: to be granted my 'birth right'.

      It means that up until now, I have refused to 'let go'
      of the sorrow about NOT being treated as a 'sovereign
      and sacred' being. I hear the words "If I 'give it up',
      it means I'll never have it."

      It means also I could not see all the ways that I HAVE been....

      It means that I unconsciously resisted the 'melting' of
      identity....until that issue had been completed.

      I thought it had been. How in the world do I do that?

      The air inside the bubble
      Is the air outside the bubble.

      Bubbles come and bubbles go!
      Now you see them now you don't!

      Unhappy bubble pops
      Happy bubble stops.

      Time for a picnic!

      Peace - Michael

      Hi Gene,

      Thanks to your post here, I finally realized why I
      could not hear what you and others are saying about

      What I have called compassion for a number of years
      is not anywhere near what you call compassion. My
      definition of compassion changed with my hypnotherapy
      practice when I discovered that when I focused so
      completely on the experience of another, all sense of
      MY 'self' dropped away. It would be as if I were
      residing for that period of time IN another's experience.

      I found that when that happened, all movements and
      dialogue flowed effortlessly.....and that when I was
      'suffering with' that individual such that there was no longer
      any 'self' referencing....no sense of 'me'....

      that healing naturally happened.....often in the most
      surprising and 'uncalculated' ways.

      That focusing of attention was what I came to call

      So when you said compassion and enlightened self interest were
      the same, I knew we weren't on the same page....but only
      as long as the WORD compassion was used.

      I also am surprised to realize today....with the help of
      this thread and Sandeep's.....that what I've been wanting
      all this time is for some person, any person, to 'step inside'
      my experience with me.....the way I used to do for others.

      I did not realize that's what I've wanted..... until today.

      And I see now that I call it a 'compassion game' because
      I'm surrounded in cyberspace with all these people who
      say over and over again that they're guiding 'spiritual'
      principle was that of compassion.....and yet not once have
      I met someone who seemed the least bit interested in 'stepping
      into my shoes'. Instead, it seemed they were beating down
      the door to get away from me, or to chastise me, or to
      shock me, or convince me....etc. And all they had to do
      was push me away once, or mock me, whatever....and I
      would toss them away as 'not the one'.

      I didn't realize until today that I carried the belief.....the
      expectation.....that if someone would just be willing to
      do that.....'to suffer with' me....it would somehow 'sanctify'
      my life....my presence.

      I didn't realize until today that the archetype of 'Jesus
      on the cross'....of a savior....was at play in my life.

      I know how I open myself to all kinds of responses to
      that admission, but somehow it needed to be expressed,

      Thanks for your help, Gene, in getting this stuff
      out onto the table where I could see it.

      As a matter of fact, that whole concept of
      Jesus suffering and dying so that others may live,
      never made the least bit of sense to me.....

      until right now. And now...I understand it completely.

      I'm rather stunned by it.

      That was an act of Compassion, in the name of Self.
      Self's act of Campassion is ALL that's ever been and all that
      will ever be.

      THIS is HIRS for you. Melt into it.

      Hanging on that tree was very painful. Happily, death is not a
      permanent state of being. All in all though, I would have
      preferred a long life with lots of grandchildren to play with.

      During the time of the Roman occupation of Israel thousands died
      on the cross. Each one was me. Those were tough times!

      Also, during those times there were many messiahs proclaiming
      in the land. I never did that. I just said that the kingdom
      of heaven is within. That's the main thing.

      Oh, and there is one other thing I'd like to restate. Judgement.
      When I said not to judge, I was including judging of yourself.

      I have infinite mercy for everyone. What I do not offer is pity.
      That is a dish you must serve yourself. Why anyone would want to
      be a 'creeping jesus' is ... well, never mind all that.

      I am not interested in validating any individual's viewpoint. That
      is to say, don't ask me to sanctify your personal drama. All life
      is already 'sacred'. Your natural state is pure and joyful. If you
      want to return to the garden, wake up! That's all.

      If you can't awaken yourself (and you can't), just ask for some
      help. My sweetheart, Amazing Gracie, will be glad to assist!

      Peace - no, i don't think i'm the ego/mind/body construct
      named Jesus. i'm just me. - Michael (god of thunder) heeheehee!

      Sanctify my life, dear Lord,
      sanctify my life.

      Show me that you know my heart,
      show me that you care.

      Sanctify my life, dear Lord,
      sanctify my life.

      Suffer with me all my sins,
      suffer all my fears.

      Heal me with your touch Divine,
      heal me with your love.

      Sanctify my life, dear Lord
      sanctify my life

      that I may die to what I knew
      and *in* You be born anew.

      I didn't really know what was meant by
      those words when I wrote them....I just
      wrote what came bubbling up.

      I began wondering this evening what
      was meant by the phrase 'sanctify my life'....
      but I knew it was connected to what I
      used to do with my clients.

      It occurred to me to look up Jacob Boehme...
      a Protestant mystic....I think he was 16th
      century....I can't remember off hand.

      After a quick search I easily found a
      couple of quotes that pointed exactly to
      what I was looking for:

      Jacob Boehme:

      "If (Love) but once kindle a Fire within thee, my Son,... thou
      shalt feel it in the burning up thyself, and swiftly devouring all
      Egoity, or that which thou callest I and Me, ..."

      " For Love enters even into that where the Godhead is not manifested
      in this glorious Light, and where God may be said not to dwell.
      And entering thereinto, Love begins to manifest to the Soul the Light
      of the Godhead: and thus is the Darkness broken through, and
      the Wonders of the new Creation successively manifested..."

      "If ... thy Will ... could break off itself for one Hour, or even
      but for one half Hour, from all Creatures, and plunge itself into
      That where no Creature is, or can be, presently it would be penetrated
      and clothed upon with the supreme Splendour of the Divine
      Glory, would taste in itself the most sweet Love of Jesus, the
      Sweetness whereof no Tongue can express, and would find in itself the
      unspeakable Words of our Lord concerning His Great Mercy."

      My mistake....as unconscious as it may have been....
      was to imagine that Love ....the alchemical fire....
      had to originate from somebody 'else'.

      Yes. That love is now always has been and forever will be...
      There in That place.

      It is even now gazing with wonder from your eyes!

      Peace - Michael

      GLORIA - UG Speaks:

      I don't know why it happened
      or when it happened or
      or how it happened.
      I don't even know what happened.
      Did something happen?

      Excerpts from the book, Thought is Your Enemy, replay that`scream':

      ... Whatever has happened to me has happened despite everything
      I did. Whatever I did or did not do and whatever events people
      believed led me into this are totally irrelevant. It is very difficult
      for me to fix a point now and tell myself that this is me and look back
      and try to find out the cause for whatever happened to me. That
      is why I am emphasizing all the time that it is acausal. It is something
      like, to use my favorite phrase, lightning hitting you. But one thing
      I can say with certainty is that the very thing I searched for all my
      life was shattered to pieces. The goals that I had set for myself,
      self-realization, God-realization, transformation, radical
      or otherwise, were all false. And there was nothing there to be
      realized and nothing to be found there. The very demand to be free
      from anything, even from the physical needs of the body, just disappeared.
      And I was left with nothing. Therefore, whatever comes out of me now
      depends on what you draw out of me.

      I have actually and factually nothing to communicate, because there
      is no communication possible at any level. The only instrument we have
      is the intellect. We know in a way that this instrument has not helped
      us to understand anything. So when once it dawns on you that that is
      not the instrument and there is no other instrument to understand anything,
      you are left with this puzzling situation that there is nothing to
      understand. In a way it would be highly presumptuous on my part to sit on
      a platform, accept invitations and try to tell people that I have
      something to say.

      What I am left with is something extraordinary--extraordinary in the
      sense that it has been possible for me not through any effort, not through
      any volition of mine. Everything that every man thought, felt and
      experienced before has been thrown out ofmy system.

      There is no teaching of mine and never shall be one. `Teaching'
      is not the word for it. A teaching implies a method or a system, a
      technique or a new way of thinking to be applied in order to bring
      about a transformation in your way of life. What I am saying is outside
      the field of teachability. It is simply a description of the way I
      am functioning. It is just a description of the natural state of man.
      That is the way you, stripped of the machinations of thought, are
      also functioning.

      Your natural state has no relationship whatsoever with the religious
      states of bliss, beatitude and ecstasy. They lie within the field of
      experience. Those who have led man on his search for religiousness
      throughout the centuries have perhaps experienced those religious states.
      So can you. They are thought induced states of being and as they come,
      so do they go.... The timeless can never be experienced, can never be
      grasped, contained, much less given expression to by any man. That beaten
      track will lead you nowhere. There is no oasis situated yonder. You are
      stuck with the mirage.

      'Doesn't an encounter with you help people in any way in their quests,'
      I asked U.G. in the kitchen as he was teaching me to fix the washing
      machine. 'Look, during your stay here, you have learned to make coffee,
      toast your bread, use the washing machine and wash your dishes like
      anybody else. These are the only things you will learn from me,' he said
      laughingly. 'Jokes apart, tell me. I have a deadline to meet, damn it!
      What can people get out of you?' I persisted.

      My way of life and what I am saying will not help people to face the
      difficult situations in their lives. If there is any potential in them,
      it will surface. But this doesn't apply to spiritual progress or potential
      because that doesn't exist. If you are a murderer, you will murder with
      finesse. This doesn't mean that I condone murder but whatever is there
      in you will bloom.

      Of Knights and Dream
      (To Emily Anne)

      King Arthur thought he had created it
      Sir Launcelot thought he had stole it
      Sir Pellinore never stopped chasing it
      Sir Galahad thought he had achieved it

      What is it that these knights in shining armor
      failed to properly understand
      That it is she who stands behind
      the seat of the siege perilous
      for he who approaches that seat is besieged by love
      He may create a kingdom and a throne
      He may steal another’s lover
      he may spend his life chasing a sacred heart
      through the magic forest of the universe
      but he will never achieve it
      For she is the Immortal Beloved standing behind the chair
      and can only be known on the other side of death

      For she is the one who cannot be created
      she it is who was first, is now and will be last
      It is she who cannot be stolen
      for her face is but a dream within a dream
      and you cannot steal a dream
      It is she who cannot be chased
      unless you wish to be a dog after his own tail
      and before her all men are little more than hounds or spaniels
      She is the one who cannot be achieved
      because you are already her
      and once you realize this she will be gone

      You may have forgotten that you were never created
      because you always have been, are and will be.
      You may even realize that you have stolen
      your memory from your true self and that this is just a dream
      It may be that you will never stop chasing your own tail
      because you are afraid of being awake
      Regardess,.eventually she will reveal herself to you
      and then once you glimpse her face your longing will become limitless
      And if you are lucky or wise or both
      You will realize that she was never lost and therefore cannot be found
      because you and she, she and you, forever and always are one.

      She it is who has many names and no name
      She it is who has many faces and no face
      She is it, the one you cannot see until you can allow
      yourself to be seen by her as you really are
      Not as you would like to be seen
      not as you are in your dreams, but as you really are when awake.
      You must have the courage to see yourself reflected in her penetrating gaze.
      But first you must be fearless and sit in the seat of the siege perilous
      and be besieged by the Beloved until love burns you into white ashes..
      For true love is love which is unto and beyond death.

      In the mean time I sit amidst my dreams
      and wonder where and why you have gone.?
      I suffer the long suffering, the dry suffering, the tired suffering
      the only true suffering which is the suffering of unrequited love.

      I long to look into the searing gaze of your eyes
      and know myself as you see me for the first time,

      I am like Arthur and would create you and forgive you for betraying me
      I am like Launcelot and would steal you from another
      I am like Pellinore and cannot leave the chase at any cost
      But I am not like Galahad, because I know I have not achieved you.

      What is it that these men in shining armor do not understand
      I who am in my mind’s eye one of them, they understand not
      that she comes only to those who sit in the stillness of the night
      and wait, and wait, and forever wait until sleep comes to an end..

      They also serve who but stand and wait and to await her coming is enough.
      Those who await the Beloved are chaste of heart and can wait forever.