#4386 - Saturday, October 1, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4386, Saturday, October 1, 2011

      If I could identify one core problem about the world, it's that we've been taught to distrust ourselves.

      - Shakti Gawain

      Recognizing and identifying our suffering is like the work of a doctor diagnosing an illness. He or she says, "If i press here, does it hurt?" and we say, "Yes, this is my suffering. This has come to be." The wounds in our heart become the object of our meditation. We show them to our doctor, and we show them to the Buddha, which means we show them to ourselves. Our suffering is us, and we need to embrace our fear, hatred, anguish, and anger. "My dear suffering, I know you are there. I am here for you, and i will take care of you." We stop running from our pain. With all our courage and tenderness, we recognize, acknowledge, and identify it.

      -Thich Nhat Hanh, from The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, posted to DailyDharma

      The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.

      - Joseph Campbell

      Fear is a question: What are you afraid of, and why? Just as the seed of health is in illness, because illness contains information, our fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if we explore them.

      - Marilyn Ferguson

      It's surprising how many persons go through life without ever recognizing that their feelings toward other people are largely determined by their feelings toward themselves, and if you're not comfortable within yourself, you can't be comfortable with others.

      - Sidney J. Harris

      The more one forgives himself - by giving himself to a cause to serve or another person to love - the more human he is and the more he actualizes himself.

      - Viktor Frankl

      Compassion is not religious business, it is human business. It is not luxury. It is essential for our own peace and mental stability. It is essential for human survival.

      - Tenzin Gyatso (The 14th Dalai Lama)

      The greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.

      - Tenzin Gyatso