#4373 - Sunday September 18, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19 12:12 PM

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4373, Sunday September 18, 2011

      We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again - and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.

      - Mark Twain, posted to Distillation

      A coarse sieve catches little. A fine mesh catches more. If you want the subtle, be refined, But prepare to deal with the coarse.

      The irony of spiritual living is that you become more sensitive and more subtle. Therefore, you become intolerant of the coarse. There is not much choice in this. If you want to catch the subtle things in life, then you must become refined your- self. But the coarser things will then accumulate all the more quickly. A coarse sieve in a rushing stream will hold back only debris and large rocks. A fine mesh will catch smaller things, but it will also retain the large.

      Some people attempt to cope with this by becoming multilayered. They set up a series of screens to their personali- ties, from the coarse to the subtle so that they can deal with all that life has to offer. This is quite laudable from an ordinary point of view, but from the point of view of Tao, it is a great deal of bother.

      What do we do? If we remain coarse, then only the coarse comes to us. If we become subtle, then we gain the refined but are plagued with the coarse as well. If we become multi- layered, then we create a complexity that isolates us from Tao.

      The solution lies in floating on the current of Tao, uniting with it. That way we no longer seek to hold or to reject.

      - Deng Ming-Dao, posted to The_Now2

      Lost in the wilderness between
      true awareness and the senses,

      I suddenly woke inside myself
      like a lotus opening
      in waterweeds.

      - Lalla, from Naked Song: Versions by Coleman Barks. posted to AlongTheWay

      believe me
      i wasn't always like this
      lacking common sense
      or looking insane

      like you
      i used to be clever
      in my days

      never like this
      totally enraptured
      totally gone

      like sharp shooters
      i used to be
      a hunter of hearts

      not like today
      with my own heart
      drowning in its blood

      nonstop asking and
      searching for answers
      that was then

      but now
      so deeply enchanted
      so deeply enthralled

      always pushing
      to be ahead and above
      since i was not yet hunted down
      by this
      ever-increasing love

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 1506, translation by Nader Khalili from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      All of This for Nothing

      Was I always so
      luscious? Did I gleam and
      ripple, without adornment, like
      the sparkling sea?
      Every cell in my body
      dancing! Shining
      from the inside with
      a light that comes from
      nowhere.

      Pinned to the moment
      like a butterfly, no longer anywhere
      else to go. Candle flickering inside
      my heart, breath of my child
      breathing me. Heart
      thickly laden with invisible fruit, joy
      beaming from my eyes.

      Something broke inside, something laid down,
      exhausted from the struggle, and
      died. Whatever I gave
      myself to then has flowered
      inside and
      taken over, turning
      my home into night sky.

      I cannot tell
      you, where I have gone,
      where I am going. As the darkness
      took me, the road disappeared
      behind, and ahead,
      nothing.

      Only walking through now and always
      now. All of this
      for nothing! With the entire universe
      lovemaking
      inside me, I have stopped
      asking anyone
      for anything.

      - Jeannie Zandi, from the Stillness Speaks website