Highlights of Thursday August 10th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2000
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      A person can take all their hunger and love of freedom,
      shout it out and be heard, and the world returns that small
      rain with a storm if a person's not careful! What it means
      is that the small rain IS a storm. I feel that's what
      Kerouac did.

      Jerry
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>Kerouac poem sent by John Metzger:

      There is no Way to lose.
      If there was a way,
      then,
      when the sun is shining on pond
      and I go West, thou East,
      which one does the true sun
      follow?
      which one does the true one
      borrow?
      since neither one is the true one,
      there is no true one way.
      And the sun is the delusion
      Of a way multiplied by two
      And multiplied millionfold.
      Since there is no Way, no Buddhas,
      No Dharmas, no Conceptions,
      Only One Ecstasy--
      And Right Mindfulness
      Is mindfulness that the way is No-Way--
      Anyhow Sameway--
      Then what am I to do
      Beyond writing this instructing
      Poesy, ride a magic carpet
      Of self ecstasy, or wait
      For death like the children
      In the Funeral Street after
      The black bus has departed--
      Or-- what?

      --- Mexico City Blues J. Kerouac
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>Greg:
      I'd like to read Jack Kerouac too, never have. If you could recommend just
      one (what, novel?) to me, which one?

      --Greg
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>David Hodges:
      Hi Greg!
      I am a Kerouac fan from way back. My recommendation would be "Dharma Bums", the
      story of Jack's travels on the West Coast where he meets Gary Synder (he changed names
      but they are recognizable) and others. "On the Road" was Kerouac's best seller and it
      is worth reading too - for the portrait of Neal Cassady (Dean Moriarity) and for the
      liberating jazzy spontaneous riffs of Kerouac's prose, of which Truman Capote sniffed,
      "That's not writing, its typing." Kerouac was also quite a good poet. I like to
      imagine him declaiming his poems in his French-canadian accented voice in some North
      Beach (San Francisco) coffee house in the 50's. My favorite of his books of poetry is
      "Mexico City Blues", and in that my favorite poem is the following:

      211th Chorus

      The wheel of the quivering meat conception

      Turns in the void expelling human beings,

      Pigs, turtles, frogs, insects, nits

      Mice, lice, lizards, rats, roan

      Racinghorses, poxy bucolic pigtics,

      Horrible unnameable lice of vultures

      Murderous attacking dog-armies

      Of Africa, Rhinos roaming in the jungle,

      Vast boars and huge gigantic bull

      Elephants, rams, eagles, condors,

      Pones and Porcupines and Pills –

      All the endless conception of living beings

      Gnashing everywhere in Consciousness

      Throughout the ten directions of space

      Occupying all the quarters in & out,

      From supermicroscopic no-bug

      To huge Galaxy Lightyear Bowell

      Illuminating the sky of one Mind –

      Poor! I wish I was free

      Of that slaving meat wheel

      And safe in heaven dead

      >>>Jerry:

      Hi Greg,

      You might get a different answer from each person you ask. I
      think Desolation Angels is his most nondual and most
      literary. On The Road is his most famous.

      This is a quote from Desolation Angels:

      "What will I do when I get to Frisco? Why first thing I'll
      get a room in Chinatown" --but even nearer and sweeter I
      daydream what I'll do Leaving Day, some hallowed day in
      early September, "I'll walk down the trail, two hours, meet
      Phil in the boat, ride to the Ross Float, sleep there a
      night, chat in the kitchen, start early in the morning on
      the Diablo Boat, go right for that little pier (say hello
      to Walt), hitch right to Marblemount, collect my pay, pay
      my debts, buy a bottle of wine and drink it by the Skagit
      in the afternoon, and leave next morning for Seattle"--and
      on, down to Frisco, then L.A., then Nogales, then
      Guadalajara, then Mexico City--And still the Void is still
      and'll never move--

      But I will be the Void, moving without having moved.
      ---------------------------

      Sounds like he's going about visiting people on the list!

      I have a web page with more excerpts:
      http://www.nonduality.com/jack.htm

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>Jerry sent something Eckhart Tolle said, and some posts followed fronm that:

      Eckhart Tolle, from an interview in the soon to be released
      book, Interviews with Emerging Spiritual Teachers:

      Humankind as a whole has been through such vast suffering
      that one could almost say that every human has suffered
      enough now. No further suffering is necessary. And it is
      now possible as spiritual teachings are coming through with
      greater intensity, perhaps greater than ever before, that
      many humans will be able to break through without any
      further need for suffering. Otherwise I would not be
      teaching. The very essence of the teaching is the message,
      "You have suffered enough." The Buddha said it. "I teach
      suffering, and the end of suffering," which means, "I show
      you how suffering arises," which is an important
      realization - I talked about that yesterday - and how you
      can be free of that. So that is the very purpose of
      spiritual teaching. Jesus says the same, "the Kingdom of
      Heaven is here, Now" accessible to you here and Now.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~

      Mama may have
      And Papa may have
      But God Bless the Child
      Who's got his "own".

      --
      Happy Days,
      Judi

      >>>Judi quoting Wayne Liquorman:
      You equate serenity with mildness.
      You prefer your Masters
      Be nearly comatose,
      Or better yet, Dead.
      Enlightenment is not
      A means of escape.
      Everyone has problems.

      Ram Tzu knows this:
      Jesus being nailed to the cross
      Knew he was having a bad day.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>Dave (manchine):

      It was his destiny, and he knew it!
      He accepted it. Even when he
      had the opportunity to turn around.
      Because the pain comes from fighting
      destiny, which in the end, can't be changed.

      Just as things have been, so they will be.
      Understand your destiny,
      it's the closest you'll get to freedom.

      Love Dave
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>Judi:

      Yes, what people call their "life", is nothing but an avoidance tactic.
      As Wayne says "your noble search for God is nothing but a sly dodge."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>Larry:

      I agree, better to take a karma yoga approach to practice and not expect
      results. If you ARE particularly interested in results, better to look
      into _why_. Most likely you will be able to ferret out somthing you are
      identifying with, probably an habitually arising pain. Simply
      recognizing it as such, releases it from being "me".

      However, if you get interested in all that you are unconsciously
      identifying with, this can be a little overwhelming as it includes every
      thought you think. Better go back to the yoga :)

      Larry
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      >>>Dave:

      You see, once it is understood
      that your destiny is THE destiny
      any anguish is happily suffered.

      For the real pain is in the constant
      struggle against ALL reality.

      Look it in the face
      and trust it.
      There is no other way.

      It is Love itself,
      the escence which disolves
      all dispare.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Avoidance is everyone's hobby.

      tzu-what
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      everyone's using glue to build plastic models
      and very few have the window open.

      --tzu-what
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      i saw a man build a model of city in a wink
      and he was so high on the fumes
      he thought it was a city!

      --whoever-whatever
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Your duty is to be and not to be this or that.
      'I am that I am' sums up the whole truth. The
      method is summed up in the words 'Be still'.
      What does stillness mean? It means destroy
      yourself. Because any form or shape is the
      cause for trouble. Give up the notion that 'I
      am so and so'. All that is required to realize
      the Self is to be still. What can be easier than
      that?

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      In spite of the warning voice that comes in the night,
      And repeats and repeats in my ear,
      Don't you know little fool, you never can win
      Lose your mentality, wake up to reality

      --
      Happy Days,
      Judi