Wednesday, August 9

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2000
      from Petros-Truth list:

      "The personality sitting in a chair is not the Guru. The
      Guru is the Divine Manisfestation, the process that can
      include you and rip you out of all the garbage that you
      value. None of this has any value and none of it is
      anything but God."

      -- Da Free John

      beloved bhakti,

      Love. The purest ore is produced from the hottest furnace.
      And the brook would lose its song if we removed the rocks.

      dear phil you live in the nicest place in texas, but...
      sigh-- a mentally retarded man is dying tonite how many
      does this make now for dubya? which reminds me--at the
      retreat greg was giving away away great bumper stickers
      from the Advaita society "Prochoicelessness" Being a bumper
      sticker person, i immediately affixed one. Last week my
      daughter the Poet affixed one right next to it that she
      assured me she had chosen for me with the greatest of care

      " dubya dubya dubya BushOnCrack.com"

      Aaaargh!!(its a real web site BTW) nora

      Hi all,

      Just to demonstrate that time is a hoax, I am speaking to
      most of you in the future, now, and particularly to Mark.
      Hello Mark. It is actually quite incredible that I can
      speak into the future like this. But it is just illusory.
      Interestingly enough, this future will manifest itself as a
      ripple cascade effect in the ever florishing existence.
      Each one of you converts a piece of the future into now as
      you read this, just as we do in everday life with

      This post however, remains in the future for some, although
      it has gone into the past for others. Where it actually is
      in time is where it's always been, a fleeting focus in

      Travelling, Dave

      Gloria, nice job! The pictures are great. My heart warms
      when I muse over that heavenly retreat and all you
      magnificent souls that graced it. It really is a re-treat.
      With fond memories and appreciation for your energetic and
      caring involvement.

      In this empty space, the abyss of light comforts like
      mother's warm arms.

      Gloria, you are the light and the warm arms.

      Awww, what a warm heart-hug that was, Mary. The way you so
      warmly embraced all of us that you had never met before
      (even online!) was beyond kind tho. You reminded us, once
      again, that truly there are no strangers. It's easy to see
      why Mark must love you so, but hey, while he's out of
      town...what do you see in this guy? LOL

      ON BHAKTI --GREG GOODE AND GLORIA LEE(from HarshaSatsangh)

      GREG GOODE: For me, my devotion is towards Amitabha Buddha,
      and I pay respects to Him every day with chanting, incense,
      circumambulation and other offerings, etc.

      Amitabha's main story is told in two Mahayana sutras from
      the Pure Land School of Buddhism -- the Shorter and Longer
      Sukhavati-vyuha Sutras (the sutras on the Display of the
      World of Bliss).

      Briefly, these sutras are narrated by Shakyamuni Buddha and
      tell of the grace and saving power of Amitabha Buddha (the
      Buddha of Infinite Light and Infinite Life). Eons ago,
      before Amitabha was a buddha, he was Bodhisattva
      Dharmakara. With the help of a buddha of the distant past
      (Buddha Lokeshvararaja), Dharmakara was inspired to
      practice for the salvation not only of himself, but of all
      beings. He practiced for eons and created a "Buddha-field"
      called the Western Pure Land, where all beings can practice
      to perfection, and will not retrogress into samsara unless
      they choose to do so from a Bodhisattva vow to save all
      beings. Dharmakara made a series of 47 vows on his path to
      Buddhahood. These vows amount to Dharmakara's refusal of
      Buddhahood for himself until all those who desire
      unsurpassable awakening and remember his name are reborn in
      his Pure Land.

      To me, this is a magnificent set of vows and wonderful
      movement of Grace. The vows' fulfillment is also
      magnificent. Because of Amitabha's effort and the grace of
      previous buddhas, Dharmakara is now Buddha Amitabha.
      Therefore, according to the sutras, all his if-then
      statements have been fulfilled. So it is NOW the case that
      all who have faith in these vows and sincerely desire
      unsurpassed awakening are able to achieve it, without fail!
      That is, through Amitabha's grace, our awakening is
      guaranteed, actually already the case. The Pure Land,
      according to one's interpretation of the sutras and
      commentaries, can be interpreted either as noumenon, or a
      land of phenomenal bliss of all kinds.

      Dear Greg,

      Thank you for sharing this beautiful example of bhakti. The
      stories of Budddhas and Bodhisattvas are very inspirational
      whether one happens to consider oneself part of that
      religion or any religion. On the retreat, you gave us a
      beautiful experience of this walking and singing chant, and
      it reminded me of how the sense of worship and awe is
      missed when we lack a fellowship that supports this
      activity, however it may be expressed. As a child, my heart
      became devoted to Jesus mostly thru singing, and no matter
      whatever has changed my thinking and views of religion,
      that devotion remains unchanged. To me, Jesus was calling
      for this Pure Land when he asked that "Thy will be done on
      earth as it is in heaven." There are so many ways and thru
      so many forms that Grace does touch us, indeed this very
      company of the sages here is one of them. Another way
      bhakti may be described is simply, "Whatever you love, you

      Dear Gloria,

      Thank you for sharing on the beauty of this devotional way.
      I agree, the coming together in love and shared activity is
      a beautiful, powerful thing. "Together-action!," like the
      Rev. Seung Sahn used to say (he, the abbot of our retreat

      When future retreats happen, I look forward in partaking of
      yours and others' sharing!

      You are always looking to be happy. What you call 'happy'
      is not what I call "Happy". What you call 'happy' is a
      superficial, amused, immune state. All of us here are dying
      and you must Realize the Source of it. To do that, to
      Realize that Sublimity, you must understand yourself, and
      that means you cannot make life out of being consoled by
      sex, the world, the news, the pleasures of life, technology
      - anything. You must be free of consolation. You must be
      unconsolable, beyond repair of the heart. This is not what
      you are involved in. You are full of complaints,
      imaginings, agreements, rules, ideals. I cannot relate to
      it. I am bereft of those possibilities, empty of them. I
      cannot be consoled. God is not a consolation. God is what
      you realize in the unconsolable state. God is the Obvious
      when the self contraction is released.

      You all want to keep yourselves orderly. Neat shirt and
      pants, something orderly to do every day, an order of
      remarks to make - look how bored you are!

      How about NOT being bored? How about transcending boredom,
      doubt, discomfort? How about getting real? How about
      suffering? How about being broken-hearted? How about being
      exaggerated? How about being unconventional? In your daily
      life you should exist in the agony of confrontation with
      the ego. You must have more nerve to practice this Way of

      I wish you would begin Spiritual life. I wish you would put
      yourself on the line. You have read the biographies of
      those who have made great Spiritual attainments. Their
      lives were about struggle, about intimacy with reality.
      They were not orderly, middle-class people. They were
      utterly incapable of mediocrity. Does anybody know what I
      am talking about?

      You must be a renunciate to practice this Way that I teach.
      You all have too damned much to lose, too much you depend
      on for consolation, too much bullshit you need to share
      with one another. I am glad that I could Interfere with

      ***** Da, from the Knee of Listening

      AND MORE DA...

      There is a disturbance, a feeling of disatisfaction, some
      sensation that motivates a person to go to a teacher, read
      a book about philosophy, believe something, or do some
      conventional form of Yoga. What people ordinarily think of
      as Spirituality or religion is a search to get free of that
      sensation, that suffering that is motivating them. So all
      the usual paths - Yogic methods, beliefs, religion, and so
      on - are forms of seeking, grown out of this sensation,
      this subtle suffering. Ultimately, all the usual paths are
      attempting to get free of that sensation. That is the
      traditional goal. Indeed, *all* human beings are seeking,
      whether or not they are very sophisticated about it, or
      using very specific methods of Yoga, philosophy, religion
      and so on.

      As long as the individual is simply seeking, and has all
      kinds of motivation, fascination with the search, this is
      not understanding - this is dilemma itself. But where this
      dilemma is understood, there is the re-cognition of a
      structure in the living consciousness, a separation. And
      when that separation is observed more and more directly,
      one begins to see that what one is suffering is not
      something happening *to* one but it is one's own action. It
      is as if you are pinching yourself, without bieng aware of
      it. Then one sees that the entire motivation of life is
      based on a subtle activity in the living consciousness.
      That activity is avoidance, separation, a contraction as
      the root, the origin, the *place* of the living

      There is first the periodic awareness of that sensation,
      then the awareness of it as a continuous experience, then
      the observation of its actual structure, the knowing of it
      all as your own activity, a deliberate, present activity
      that *is* your suffering, that *is* your illusion. The
      final penetration of that present, deliberate activity is
      what I have called "understanding".

      ***** Da - Method of the Siddhas

      KNOWLEDGE, FAITH, BELIEF (from HarshaSatsangh)

      During my travels in India during the early summer, I spent
      sometime at Hrishikesh at KailAsa Ashram. I had the darshan
      of the ManDaleshwar and we spent some time discussing the
      Isha upanishad. One general advice he gave me is: improve
      your knowledge of sanskrit and study the shankara-bhAShyAs
      in the original. The english or other language translations
      for some of the sanskrit words can lead you astray.

      I think it is a very valuable advice.

      Regards Gummuluru Murthy

      Namaste Murthyji.

      Thank you for your many enlightening posts and sharing of
      wisdom. Sanskrit is indeed a beautiful, precise, and a
      profound language in which to communicate deep wisdom and
      truth. It is quite likely indeed that some or even much
      meaning is lost at times in translations from Sanskrit to
      English. The advice to learn Sanskrit is valuable advice
      for those who wish to learn Sanskrit and understand the
      original texts. Many Self-Realized Sages of the past used
      Sanskrit as a medium of their expression. So the advice of
      the ManDaleshwar seems appropriate.

      Still, any impression that leads one to believe that
      learning Sanskrit is necessary for spiritual growth and
      Realization is quite misleading.

      Learning Sanskrit has nothing to do with Self-Realization.

      To communicate profound truths any language will do!
      English is quite adequate for the job! Where there is the
      experience of Truth and Self, the words follow like
      obedient servants. In fact, for those seeking intensely to
      Know and Realize their true and original and primal state,
      the advice to learn Sanskrit might be quite irrelevant.
      Sanskrit, or any other language must be mastered through
      the mind. The Self is Realized by seeing the unreality of
      the mind, by absorbing the mind into the Heart and
      Realization of Self as Pure Consciousness. When the mind
      disappears, so does Sanskrit or any other language, the
      culture one is born into as well as any and all
      conditioning and identification. The whole universe appears
      as a shadow of the Self, so what can be said of a
      particular language, culture, etc. These are shadows of
      even shadows. How much importance should we give them on
      the spiritual path. Well, perhaps the answer is, "As much
      as you like - it is up to you."

      Let us be clear about this. No particular language,
      cultural heritage, religious background, reading of certain
      scriptures, or texts is *required* for Self-Realization.
      What is needed always is the Direct Knowledge of the Self
      through meditation, self-enquiry, and Nirvikalpa Samadhi.
      Language and culture themselves are layers from which
      identification eventually is withdrawn. All these things
      appear in consciousness. Therefore to see the pure state
      prior to all language and thought is simplest. Thank you.

      Love to all Harsha

      Some writings I found in a journal I kept in 1996:

      What is real has nothing to do with a thing valued.

      Devastation and death are always near. And when they strike
      are still always near.

      neti-neti is the sphere of action in which enlightenment
      expands itself.

      The Middle Path is a point at first, then a corridor, then
      the universe, then Grace.

      Attend to the suchness of everything.

      We are the Nonduality Generation.