#4340 - Monday, August 15, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2011

      #4340 - Monday, August 15, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Our task is to take this earth so deeply and wholly into ourselves that it
      will resurrect within our being.

      —Rilke, excerpt from a letter to Witold Hulewicz, November 13, 1925
      by Christine Wushke on Facebook

      Hope

      Hope is with you when you believe
      The earth is not a dream but living flesh,
      That sight, touch, and hearing do not lie,
      That all things you have ever seen here
      Are like a garden looked at from a gate.

      You cannot enter. But you're sure it's there.
      Could we but look more clearly and wisely
      We might discover somewhere in the garden
      A strange new flower and an unnamed star.

      Some people say we should not trust our eyes,
      That there is nothing, just a seeming,
      These are the ones who have no hope.
      They think that the moment we turn away,
      The world, behind our backs, ceases to exist,
      As if snatched up by the hands of thieves.

      ~ Czeslaw Milosz ~

      (The World)

      By letting go our fascination with the extraordinary and spectacular, we
      can allow ourselves to recognize the simple wonder that lies within the
      ordinary.

      For life is its own purpose and doesn't need a reason to be. That is its
      beauty.

      ~ Tony Parsons
      Along The Way

      Searching through intellectual knowledge for the true Light is like a man
      lost in tunnels under the earth...  the deeper he journeys the darker it
      becomes...

      ~ Rumi

      by Melitta Kelly on Facebook

      "The less conscious one is of being 'a writer,' the better the writing."

      — Pico Iyer

      Keeping Quiet

      By Pablo Neruda

      (1904 - 1973)

      English version by Alastair Reid

      Now we will count to twelve

      and we will all keep still.

      For once on the face of the earth

      let's not speak in any language,

      let's stop for one second,

      and not move our arms so much.

      It would be an exotic moment

      without rush, without engines,

      we would all be together

      in a sudden strangeness.

      Fishermen in the cold sea

      would not harm whales

      and the man gathering salt

      would look at his hurt hands.

      Those who prepare green wars,

      wars with gas, wars with fire,

      victory with no survivors,

      would put on clean clothes

      and walk about with their brothers

      in the shade, doing nothing.

      What I want should not be confused

      with total inactivity.

      Life is what it is about;

      I want no truck with death.

      If we were not so single-minded

      about keeping our lives moving,

      and for once could do nothing,

      perhaps a huge silence

      might interrupt this sadness

      of never understanding ourselves

      and of threatening ourselves with death.

      Perhaps the earth can teach us

      as when everything seems dead

      and later proves to be alive.

      Now I'll count up to twelve