Highlights of Monday August 7th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2000

      The Wei Wu Wei website many have been waiting for, is up and
      running. Lots of excerpts:

      (this wei wu wei guy was a domain name genius. whenever you
      type any url you gotta use his initials! Maybe i'll change
      my guru name to 'Com'. "Hey, have you been to Com's satsang?
      Wow, man.")

      "The Sage no longer differentiates between dualism and
      non-dualism (advaita), for he does not cognise them as
      different." --www

      nervously offering my new name,
      Master Com

      Hello All,

      I have recently joined this list. I am interested in exploring the
      possibility of starting a non-duality video/audio Satsang group in New
      England area. I can host the weekly or biweekly video/audio Satsangs at my
      house in Cambridge, Mass starting this fall. I am already a member of a
      similar group but they only watch Gangaji videos and I'd like to add a
      variety with this new group. You're welcome to bring your video/audio tapes
      from non-dualist teachers like Jean Klein, Gangaji, Francis Lucille, Ramesh
      Balsekar etc. Because we'll supply our own videos, there's no cost to join
      this group.

      Frankly I am a fan of Nisargadatta and Ramana Maharshi. Since they didn't
      speak English and video taped their Satsangs in Hawaii, we can at least read
      sections from their classic books.

      For more information on how to help please contact me directly at

      Many thanks,

      I hope you do see the point that I'm making. It's the same old thing people getting
      the finger mixed up for the moon. And if there is nothing to snap a person out of it,
      to bring them out of "happiness", they pretty much get lost forever in that. There was
      a story I heard about this very beloved guru who was on the throes of his death bed
      and he called for his longest and closest disciple to come to him. The disciple
      eagerly went to his bedside thinking to himself that his master was going to impart
      the profound teaching to him. So the disciple went to his side and the master asked
      him lean down close, as his voice was very weak,which the disciple did. The master
      then said in the disciples ear, "Fuck you!"

      Yeah, well when someone gives you that finger, that's one is seldom mistaken for the
      moon. Still, I see the value of the point you are making here.

      Buddha made the same point just before he died. Ananda was his older brother who had
      hung around listening to everything Buddha said for the last 40 or so years, and he
      got kinda upset that he still wasn't enlightened and here Buddha was fixing to die on
      him. Buddha told him the only reason he wasn't enlightened was that Ananda had been
      depending too much on Buddha all this time and he would find see this only after
      Buddha was gone. Well, that's the story told anyway.

      Judi, do you remember those Pink Panther movies back in the 70's where Peter Sellers
      had this houseboy who used to sneak up and pounce on him unexpectedly out of the
      blue? It was usually at a most inopportune time, like when he'd be putting on his tux
      to go to some formal dance and they would have this pitched battle destroying
      furniture and all. Then Peter Sellers would show up late, probably with a black eye,
      trying to nonchalantly hide a big rip in his shirt or something. I'm making this up
      because I can't quite remember a specific incident, but he did this 3 or 4 times in
      each movie.

      Anyway, I like how you do that. There's a certain shock value to this unexpected
      stuff coming out of nowhere that keeps a person on their toes. Can maybe even snap
      you out of, make you stop and think at least. You are a master at that!

      >>>Gloria wrote:

      What do you guys think of this idea of Being/becoming.

      A NET of JEWELS
      daily meditations for seekers of Truth
      August 5

      The individual self can exist only as a process of becoming, whereas
      THAT WHICH IS is the perennial state of BEING. Therefore, its
      realization is the annihilation of the individual.

      I think the challenge with such a question is addressing it
      with purity. I mean addressing from who I am. My tendency
      has been to think how someone else would answer it, like
      Ramana or someone like that, or whether my answer would be
      approved by a famous Advaitin, or whether it accords with my
      image. If a person can see the question as though seeing it
      for the first time, then the challenge is met. It's really
      hard to do that because every word in the above quote is so

      'The individual can only exist as a process of becoming'. It
      sounds like he's saying that individual existence and change
      are the same thing. Now I have to question whether I know
      that or whether I'm repeating something I've heard. Because
      somewhere I've heard that things are always changing. But do
      I really know that? Do I know that change, or becoming, is
      constant? You know what? I really can't say I know that. The
      only things I can say I know are those that seem to accord
      with what others have said, with what has been published, or
      with what I've said in the past.

      But Gloria, I respond to you, by saying I stand here
      unknowing, without a word of response. I give up everything
      I've read and heard. I cannot respond. Or, rather, I could
      respond. But who really can answer from purity? Who really

      I take this opportunity to ask who really speaks from their
      own knowing? And what is that knowing? And who speaks
      without mental approval from someone they look up to?
      Addressing those questions can plunge one into an unknowing.

      With Advaita moving more and more into the mainstream, it is
      an important challenge. People have to be responsible for
      knowing, they have to speak for themselves. It's important
      to know one's own voice, and if one doesn't know it, then
      admit it. People on spiritual paths do take responsibility
      for a lot of things and lives can improve tremendously. But
      sometimes they don't take responsibility for their knowing;
      it seems they resort to the knowing of their teacher or
      teachers as put into words.

      The knowing of the teacher in never put into words. I don't
      see how it can be. I don't see how any handful of words can
      capture the teaching of the teacher. Yet when some people
      write or speak, they mentally consider whether a particular
      teacher or Guru -- as imaged through the teacher's or Guru's
      writings or words -- would approve. It's nuts! I think that
      speaking independently is not only possible but that it is
      easier to do than to speak with the mental approval of an
      outsider, and that outsider can be the image of oneself. The
      latter outsider is really a dangerous one!

      trying to keep my head above the rising tide,

      >>>Dave (Manchine)

      That's the beauty of a forum like this. Sometimes, it may appear
      that the interchange of opinions and the grind of clashing
      concepts is no different than that of the outside world, but
      we (that's we, not one individual) have a focus, albeit semi-distracted.

      Like I said, when someone asked me, "what is right, what is wrong?",
      "How can one draw the line?" It just sort of draws itself, actively.

      I think it's a very important point that you make. Let go! THIS
      is IT!

      Love Dave

      >>>Mark Chrsitopher Valentine:

      of Nothing,

      “Give us this day our daily bread.”
      -Matthew 6:11

      of Nothing,
      will come nothing: except Peace.
      something will come,
      of Something: except Peace.

      Nature herself – who can be no better
      or worse made but by her own hand – is the
      porcelain past evolving the clay future:
      She is rushing and unmitigated;
      the all becoming the all becoming.
      Nature is Something -- Something is waxing.

      of Something,
      will come something: except Peace.
      nothing will come,
      of Nothing: except Peace.

      Nature herself – who can be no better
      or worse made but by her own hand – is the
      porcelain past involving the clay future:
      She is crying and unassuaged;
      the all becoming the all becoming.

      nothing will come,
      of Nothing: except Peace.
      of Something,
      will come something: except Peace.

      Nature herself – who can be no better
      or worse made but by her own hand – is the
      clay future revolving the porcelain past:
      She is dying and unpalliated;
      the all becoming the all becoming.

      something will come,
      of Something: except Peace.
      of Nothing,
      will come nothing: except Peace.

      Nature herserlf – who can be no better
      or worse made but by her own hand – is the
      clay future devolving the porcelain past:
      She is rushing
      and crying
      and dying:
      the all becoming the all becoming.
      Nature is Something – Something is waning.

      of Nothing,
      will come nothing: except Peace.
      of Something,
      will come Something: except Peace.

      Peace will come of Nothing: Death is Nothing.
      Sorrow will come of Something: Dying is Something.
      Something will come,
      of Nothing,
      will come Peace.

      >>>Gene Poole:
      Hi Jerry,

      I am familiar with what you say here.
      >>>(vis post of a couple of days ago about lucid dreaming)

      In my own such dreams, I have the experience of leaping vastly ahead,
      and of preparing the future for myself. This includes pruning or
      parsing my identity, to the point that I am undistinguishable from
      the future.

      Hi Gene, isn't the leap 'vastly ahead' the same as the leap
      into the deep present? I'm not sure why the 'future' is
      used, unless the feel of the process of the pruning and
      parsing dissolves the future and in that dissolving the
      future opens as a vast and evident emptiness.

      This is no different in 'waking' or 'dreaming'. I admit that I have
      lost the distinction between the two.

      Whether one is dreaming or waking, there could be the
      clarity that 'this is it' and so there would be no
      distinction there between waking and sleeping. While I can't
      say I have that clarity with every dream, or hardly any
      dream, and while there is unconscious deep sleep, there
      remains a continuity.

      I don't feel that I awake to a new day each day. Nor do I
      feel that going to sleep marks the end of the day. Sleeping
      and waking happen, and so do dreams, but there is a
      continuity of empty being that knows no break, no
      discontinuity. However my body certainly knows waves of
      emotion, thought, feeling, and all that, including
      sleepiness and alertness! These waves always settle,
      eventually, into the continuity of empty being. So there is
      no distinction between waking and sleeping.

      If I don't like the future, I don't like myself. If I like myself, I
      like the future.

      I am like the future; when I get there, I will be only what I am.

      In a sense, then, there is really no getting there. If
      anything, I feel the future comes; it's like an ever-welling
      of an ocean wave on the horizon.

      Face it, the future haunts like a ghost, making identity squirm.
      Whose footfalls are those, heard upstairs at midnight?

      ==Gene Poole==

      The footfalls are vibrations sent to break down the wall
      obstructing the view of the horizon. Until one can see the
      horizon, the future can haunt.

      The company of peaceful Sages (Satsangha) and living in harmlessness is
      considered the primary influence that leads to Self-Realization. The forced
      attempts to discard various habits and conditioning and practicing different
      techniques to calm the mind have built in limits, unless one is already
      inclined towards such practices. If strong inner motivation is present, one
      is automatically propelled towards Self-Awareness and Meditation. The fog of
      confusion then quickly evaporates and leads to Self-Seeing, Self-Being,
      Self-Realization, and the Silence of the Heart.

      Meditation and mind calming methods, etc., can be effective at many
      different levels if practiced in the context of a clear understanding. Such
      practices, however, cannot by themselves end the fundamental agitation of
      the mind which continues at more and more subtle levels and causes
      suffering. The nature of the mind is to hanker after that which is not real
      and is constantly subject to change. Not knowing who we are, where we come
      from, and where we are going, we still continue chasing after dreams built
      on the sandcastles of desires. If we become aware of this, we can see the
      fundamental nature of suffering, and direct our attention to the mystery of
      life and the nature of our perceptions.

      A True Guru knows no Time and Space. The Self Reveals It Self from Within.
      Listen. Remain aware. Be utterly indifferent to the clever words, miracles,
      and magical techniques that promise salvation. If you have the courage, open
      your wisdom eye and see clearly what attracts you to such things and people.
      What is it that they have to give you that you do not have? Question
      seriously and honestly and go to the root of your hopes and fears. There are
      many active marketers of "wisdom." Understand that, like you, they have
      their own challenges and suffering. With compassion for them and for others
      and one's own self, one should keep one's vision utterly, totally, and
      completely pure. It means that you should not give in to the attraction of
      confusion and compromise in seeking the Truth.

      Do not settle for anything! Do not settle for anything - until there is
      nothing left to settle for.

      Let your effort be absorbed in peaceful Self-awareness. There is absolutely
      nothing else to be done.

      Nothing given,

      nothing taken.

      See the sights,