#4331 - Saturday August 6, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4331, Saturday, August 6, 2011

      Thoughts just witnessed get cut off for the simple reason that there is no comparing, no judging, no decision making.

      - Ramesh S. Balsekar, from A Net of Jewels, posted to AlongTheWay

      When you meditate, just rest and watch the nature of your mind. There will be a space where past thoughts have ceased and future thoughts have not yet arisen, and that space is completely empty of all fixations. If you recognize this space, simply continue to remain within it.

      One cannot say this moment of emptiness has been seen, nor can one say it has not been seen. But the one who thinks, 'I have seen it,' this is the one to be recognized. And the one who thinks, 'I have not seen it,' is also the one to be recognized. It is the one who performs all the actions. This is the one that you must recognize as the nature of your mind. This nature is beyond coming and going, it always remains like space.

      Thoughts come and go, so do not hold on to them, but pay attention to what always remains, no matter what comes and goes around it.

      - Garchen Rinpoche, posted to DailyDharma

      Happiness

      "If there is unhappiness in you, first you need to acknowledge that it is there. But don't say, "I'm unhappy." Unhappiness has nothing to do with who you are. Say: "There is unhappiness in me." Then investigate it.

      A situation you find yourself in may have something to do with it. Action may be required to change the situation or remove yourself from it. If there is nothing you can do, face what is and say, "Well, right now, this is how it is. I can either accept it, or make myself miserable."

      The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral, which always is as it is. There is the situation or the fact, and here are my thoughts about it.

      Instead of making up stories, stay with the facts. For example, "I am ruined" is a story. It limits you and prevents you from taking effective action. "I have fifty cents left in my bank account" is a fact.

      Facing facts is always empowering. Be aware that what you think, to a large extent, creates the emotions that you feel. See the link between your thinking and your emotions. Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them.

      Don't seek happiness. If you seek it, you won't find it, because seeing is the antithesis of happiness. Happiness is ever elusive, but freedom from unhappiness is attainable now, by facing what is rather than making up stories about it.

      Unhappiness covers up your natural state of well-being and inner peace, the source of true happiness.

      - Eckhart Tolle, from: A New Earth, posted to The_Now2

      Ram Tzu loves you...

      So he is out to destroy you.

      He knows you are your own
      Worst enemy
      So to destroy you
      Is to save you.

      Your ego must be smashed
      Or you will surely die.
      Yet words are like
      Sledge hammers with greased handles.
      They're difficult to guide
      To their target,
      Dangerous,
      Liable to hit anything.

      Ram Tzu loves you.
      You can trust him.
      Just put your head right here.
      That's it.
      Nothing to worry about...
      Why do you hesitate?

      - Ram Tzu, posted to AlongTheWay

      When the listener has become thirsty and craving,
      the preacher, even if he is as good as dead,
      becomes eloquent.
      When the hearer is fresh and without fatigue,
      the drunk and mute will find
      a hundred tongues to speak.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi I: 2379-2380, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, from Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight

      Various Disguises and Scams

      A bird lit in a meadow where a trap was set.
      Grain had been put out on the ground,
      and nearby a fowler had wrapped himself in grass
      and pulled roses and red anemones over his head like a cap.

      The bird had some notion that this clump of grass
      was not all grass, but at first look,
      he had no argument about what it might be.

      He hopped a circuit around the strange heap
      and asked,
      "Who are you, out here in the wild?"

      "I am a renunciate,
      content to live like the grass.
      After my neighbor's death, I closed my shop.
      I gave up associating with every human being
      that came along, and now I'm trying to be a friend
      of the One. I saw that my jaw
      would eventually be bound in the shroud,
      so I figured it was best to use it less now.

      You birds wear beautiful green robes
      with gold embroidery, but at the end
      you too will be wrapped in unsewn cloth."

      All faces turn back into dirt.
      The moist-dry, hot-cold parts
      rejoin their kinfolk, and our spirits
      receive a letter from the world
      of pure intelligence. It says,

      "So your five-day buddies left you!
      Learn who your true friends are."

      Some children, when they're playing with strangers,
      get so hot and preoccupied with the game,
      that they take off their shirts. Night comes,
      and their clothes are gone, stolen.

      It's impossible to play in the dark,
      and now they're afraid to go home.

      You've heard the line,
      This present life is a play.

      You've thrown off your clothes in the fun of living.
      They floated away in the wind,
      and now you're scared.

      While it's still day, I've realized
      that men are thieves, and that most of life
      is wasted, half in looking for a lover,
      and half in worrying over the plots
      of our enemies. The former desiring
      carries off our cloaks, and the latter
      anxiety takes our caps.
      Yet we remain
      completely and obliviously absorbed
      in our play. It's getting dark.

      Death is near. Leave the game.
      Saddle the horse of remorse
      and catch up with the thief.

      Get your clothes back. That confession-horse
      is the speediest there is.

      But keep it tied safely
      when you're with the thief.

      A certain man on this way to the village
      has a ram that he leads along behind him.

      A thief sneaks up and cuts the halter rope.
      Finally the man notices and runs left and right
      looking for the lost ram.
      He sees the thief
      beside a well, though he doesn't know
      that it's the thief. The ram is elsewhere.
      He goes to ask if he's seen a loose ram.

      The thief is kneeling by the well crying.
      "What's the matter?"
      "My purse has fallen in.
      If you can help me get it out, I'll give you
      a fifth of everything in it. You could soon have
      one-fifth of a hundred gold dinars
      in your hand!"
      The man thinks, "That's enough
      by buy ten rams! One door is shut,
      and God opens ten new doors."

      He slips out of his clothes and climbs down
      into the well, where there is nothing, of course,
      and the thief carries away his clothes.

      Oh, it takes a prudent man
      to make it into the village!

      When one loss causes a greedy panic,
      then more losses are liable to come.

      Imposters appear in many disguises.
      Stay in your refuge with God,
      and they won't deceive you.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi VI: 435-477, poetic version by Coleman Barks, from Feeling the Shoulder of the Lion, posted to Sunlight