#4326 - Monday, August 1, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2011

      #4326 - Monday, August 1, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Editor Correction: The Einstein quote in my last issue was actually from a work of fiction.

      If someone says, “To be enlightened you must
      fast and pray all night,”
      Have dinner and go to bed.

      If you see a sign, “This way to salvation,”
      run the other way.

      If someone says, "This book is the truth,
      you can buy it from me,"
      Take your money and buy grapes and roses.

      If someone says, "He’s talking tonight,
      thousands will be saved,"
      Go for a walk… listen to the birds
      and watch the clouds, and leave
      your backpack, your Bible and your Buddha
      under a tree and hope
      they will be gone when you return.

      Where we are going you can't carry anything,
      not even your name.

      - John Squadra

      Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the
      boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness:
      touch, taste, smell your way into the holy and hidden heart of it,
      because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself
      is grace.

      - Frederick Buechner

      photo by Alan Larus

      Mysteriously they entered, those few minutes.
      Mysteriously, they left.
      As if the great dog of confusion guarding my heart,
      who is always sleepless, suddenly slept.
      It was not any awakening of the large, not so much as that,
      only a stepping back from the petty.
      I gazed at the range of blue mountains,
      I drank from the stream. Tossed in a small stone from the bank.
      Whatever direction the fates of my life might travel, I trusted.
      Even the greedy direction, even the grieving, trusted.
      There was nothing left to be saved from, bliss nor danger.
      The dogs tail wagged a little in his dream.

      - Jane Hirshfield

      Every day we slaughter our finest impulses. That is why we get a
      heartache when we read those lines written by the hand of a master and
      recognize them as our own, as the tender shoots which we stifled
      because we lacked the faith to believe in our own powers, our own
      criterion of truth and beauty. Every man, when he gets quiet, when he
      becomes desperately honest with himself, is capable of uttering
      profound truths. We all derive from the same source. there is no
      mystery about the origin of things. We are all part of creation, all kings,
      all poets, all musicians; we have only to open up, only to discover what
      is already there.

      - Henry Miller

      As soon as the non-dual language becomes a strategy to manipulate, to
      try and get away from something, it has become something else. It is no
      longer on behalf of Truth. Content is nothing. The words are nothing
      without the Love they spring from. Love has no formulas. It can say
      anything or nothing, a little smile. It is not about the words.

      - Ramana Spencer

      You made me without name or trace, like the heart and soul.
      And You made me hand-clapping without hands, like joy.
      I said, "Where am I going, since my soul is in no place?"
      You made me without "place"
      and moving like the spirit.

      - Rumi

      We are, what are we?