HIGHLIGHTS - Sunday July 6, 2000

  • Manchine
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2000
      MARK CHRISTOPHER VALENTINE:

      Two announcements:

      1. A new e-mail forum called NoDoer, inspired by the teaching of the late
      Jean Klein, has just been formed. Go to http://www.egroups.com/group/NoDoer

      2. A new group called Advaita Satsang will begin having monthly meetings in
      the Seattle (USA) area. Again, Jean Klein is the chief inspiration for
      forming this group. For more information contact mark@....

      Mark Hovila
      http://hovila.com/klein.html

      JOHN and DESIRES:

      GENE:
      <
      A deep study of the universe as seen by Vajrayana will fully
      inform you of the inherent traps and hazards to be found in our basic
      spiritual infrastructure; specifically, the impulses of AVERSION
      and its polar opposite, DESIRE.

      You may note, if you look carefully and dispassionately, that
      among the population of self-identified followers of various spiritual
      paths, that there is shame attached to desire, and yet VIRTUE is
      attached to aversion. People speak with pride and passion, of
      what they 'abhor', and yet they speak little of what they desire,
      having accepted that desire is a flaw.

      JOHN:
      Here's a follow-up on the thread of desire/acceptance. I
      guess my desire for Dolly Parton comes under the desire for romance...
      Also, what about desires that guide meaningless behavior? Being the
      avatar I am, my profile would rank "eating", first, and, "physical
      exercise", last.

      NEW THEORY OF MOTIVATION LISTS 16 BASIC DESIRES THAT GUIDE US
      COLUMBUS, Ohio - Professor Steven Reiss says there's nothing wrong
      with workaholics, non-curious schoolchildren and timid people.
      While much of society may believe these people have problems that
      need to be fixed, Reiss said his research suggests they are probably
      happy just the way they are. They just have personalities that don't
      fit in with much of society.

      Reiss, a professor of psychology and psychiatry at Ohio State
      University, has spent five years developing and testing a new theory
      of human motivation. The result of his research is published in the
      new book Who Am I? The 16 Basic Desires That Motivate Our Action and
      Define Our Personalities (Tarcher/Putnam, 2000).

      After conducting studies involving more than 6,000 people, Reiss has
      found that 16 basic desires guide nearly all meaningful behavior. The
      desires are power, independence, curiosity, acceptance, order,
      saving, honor, idealism, social contact, family, status, vengeance,
      romance, eating, physical exercise, and tranquility.

      "These desires are what drive our everyday actions and make us who we
      are," Reiss said. "What makes individuals unique is the combination
      and ranking of these desires."

      Reiss said at least 14 of the 16 basic desires seem to have a genetic
      basis. Only the desires for idealism and acceptance don't appear to
      have a genetic component. "Most of these desires are similar to those
      seen in animals, and seem to have some survival value," Reiss
      said. "This indicates they are genetic in origin."

      The research is bound to be controversial with many researchers who
      have tried to reduce all human behavior to just one or two basic
      desires - such as pleasure, pain or survival - or who say that that
      there are some desires that all people share equally, Reiss said. But
      in looking at how people differ in these 16 desires, Reiss said he
      concluded that "we are individuals to a much greater extent than
      psychologists have previously realized."

      For example, Reiss said our educational system is built on the
      premise that all children are naturally curious (curiosity is one of
      the 16 basic desires) and have the same potential desire for
      learning. But Reiss found that people can differ quite a bit in their
      maximum potential to enjoy learning.

      "Not everyone is naturally curious," Reiss said. "A child may be very
      smart, but still not be interested in school. But our educational
      system cannot deal with the idea that there is someone who cannot
      enjoy learning and never will. Educators are making a mistake when
      they think all children were born with more or less equal potential
      to enjoy learning."

      Reiss said parents of non-curious children should realize they will
      never be able to change their child's fundamental nature. "It's OK to
      be non-curious. As long as the child is not flunking and is meeting
      some minimum standards, parents should ease up on their expectations.
      By pushing a non-curious child to be more curious, all a parent is
      doing is ruining their relationship."

      The same goes for any fundamental desire, according to Reiss.
      Workaholics may work a lot, not because they have some void or
      problem in their life, but because they have a naturally strong
      desire for power and status.

      In Who Am I?, Reiss uses the term "self-hugging" to describe the
      assumption that what is potentially best for me is potentially best
      for everyone. "Using self-hugging, we think that workaholics would be
      happier if they worked less, even though workaholics say they are
      happy as they are," he said.

      The failure to understand individual differences causes problems in
      everything from marital relationships to co-worker
      interactions. "People know that other people have different values
      and pursuits, but they cannot understand how this can be. Self-
      huggers waste enormous effort trying to change people who do not want
      to be changed."

      How did Reiss come up with the 16 basic desires? He and Susan
      Havercamp, a former graduate student, generated a list of more than
      300 statements that refer to specific desires people might have.
      Subjects in their studies were asked how much they agreed or
      disagreed with statements such as "I love learning new skills," "I
      must avoid pain" and "I would rather lose my life than lose my
      honor." After testing more than 2,500 people, the researchers used a
      mathematical technique called factor analysis that grouped the
      people a 16th desire (saving) emerged from the factor analysis.
      Based on this work, the researchers developed a test, called the
      Reiss Profiles, that can measure individual differences in these 16
      desires. Reiss said one key to the test is forcing people to think
      about priorities in their life. For example, if you ask people if sex
      is important to them, nearly 100 percent would agree. But, in
      determining people's desire for romance, the Reiss Profiles asks
      people if they agree to statements such as "I want all the sex I can
      get." "That's a very different, very direct question," Reiss
      said. "That's going to predict whether sex is going to play a more or
      less dominant role in a person's life. Sex may be pleasurable to
      everyone, but it isn't equally motivational. We want to find out what
      actually motivates people."

      Reiss said the research presented in Who Am I? shows that
      psychologists cannot boil down human experience to just one or two
      basic desires that we all share equally. He noted that 2 trillion
      different profiles can be assessed by the Reiss Profiles. "Every
      person has a unique desire profile," he said.
      #

      BERTRAM SALZMAN, MINDCALMING:

      Dear Melody,

      Thank you so much for your kind and generous remarks concerning
      Mindcalming.

      Mindcalming has a cleansing effect that you may have experienced
      during
      your Mindcalming session. The psychological residue that results from
      the daily contention and conflict of modern life is a poison that is
      the cause of depression and chaos of the mind. The resulting sorrow
      that results is almost too much to bear . After many years of
      research
      and testing I have seen that Mindcalming is a powerful psychic
      cleanser. For this reason I have introduced it to the general public
      Online.

      Mindcalming is not about anything but Caring. I know that it can end
      the sorrow of the "Soul" I've seen it happen many times during
      Mindcalming sessions when a person awakens for a moment to experience
      her basic goodness... his basic innocence. If you know any who live
      in sorrow send them to Mindcalming...there is no charge for the
      sessions...also, urge them to take two sessions per day for at least
      twenty days in order that they acheive more than superficial results.

      A CALMER MIND IS A CALMER AND SANER WORLD. URL: www.Mindcalming.com

      I Care that you Are.

      B.W. Salzman (Bertram)

      ------

      My Dear Friends,

      For many years meditation was a difficult activity for
      me. The mind refused to be quiet and the harder I tried to quiet it
      the more chaotic it seemed to become. At that time I was also deeply
      involved in studying the teachings of Sri Ramana
      Maharshi...particularly the practice of Atma Vichara...Self Inquiry...
      the inward asking of the question:"who am I"? I had my own particular way of
      practicing Vichara:
      Usually I would ask the question "who am I?" but I would
      NEVER allow the mind to answer ,I would just hold the question in
      suspension like a ball that I would not allow to hit the ground. One day
      while doing this practice for not more than a few minutes the mind
      (along with the ego) suddenly surrendered...naturally... by itself.
      In place of the chaotic mind there was only a deep silence a natural
      calmness and there was no one practicing ...It had been so easy!...
      I sat down and began to do a session of meditation that lasted for
      hours ...and there was no meditator no one meditating and as such no one
      struggling to meditate. It seemed like a miracle! Later... I realized
      what had happened: The short session of Atma Vichara(self inquiry) had
      been a powerful "pre meditation " that had calmed the mind so that it was
      easy for it to slip easily into the state of meditation. The mind did
      not have to go from zero to 500mph in five seconds ...Infact the mind
      is incapable of doing that...incapable of turning itself off that
      quickly and that is why most Meditators have difficulty meditating .
      But over the years I discovered that self inquiry is only one part
      of one way of slowig down the mind and after a few more years of study
      Mindcalming was developed. Its purpose is to calm the mind so that
      meditation can happen and also to calm the mind during stressful moments
      in one's daily life. But Mindcalming when practiced on a regular basis,
      may also awaken one from the Ego dream of Individual consciousness..and
      one may soon become grounded As the Universal consciousness. There is no
      charge for Mindclming sessions ...it is a gift from the Eternal.
      Visit: Mindcalming.com and discover your Calm Silent Self.

      I Care that you ARE
      B.W. Balzman (Bertram)

      ------

      Dear ND friends,

      By request, I have made Mindcalming sessions easily available to ND
      members. Just go to the ND Links page and click on Mindcalming URL.
      There is no charge for the sessions. If you are a meditator you will
      find that the ten Mindcalming session will quickly set you up for a
      longer meditation sitting...Also Mindcalming sessions reduce stress
      and
      helps one sleep better... when done at bed time.

      I'd love to have some feedback from NDS members.

      A CALMER MIND IS A CALMER AND SANER WORLD
      GIVE SOMEONE A GIFT OF A CALM MIND

      FROM PATRICK COLLINS
      thomasmerton@egroups.com

      Repost:

      Today is the great Feast of the Transfiguration, August 6. I have
      always experienced it as the feast for contemplative consciousness. I
      hope the same may be true for you.

      I post today some words of Thomas Merton which seem to reflect some of
      this Transfigured Awareness.

      "A door opens in the center of our being and we seem to fall through
      it into immense depths which, although they are infinite, are all
      accessible to us; all eternity seems to have become ours in this one
      placid breathless contact. God touches us with a touch that is
      emptiness and empties us. He moves us with a simplicity that
      simplifies us. All variety, all complexity, all paradox, all
      multiplicity cease.
      Our mind swims in an air of an understanding, a reality that is dark
      and serene and includes in itself everything. Nothing more is
      desired.
      Nothing more is wanting... You feel as if you were at last fully
      born.
      All that went before was a mistake, a fumbling preparation for
      birth.... And yet now you have become nothing. You have sunk to the
      center of your own poverty, and there you have felt the doors fly open
      into infinite freedom, into a wealth that is perfect because none of
      it us yours and yet it all belongs to you."

      MAY THAT BE YOUR EXPERIENCE THIS TRANSFIGURED DAY !

      PATRICK COLLINS
      --- End forwarded message ---

      GENE / DAVE

      Gene responding to Jerry:

      Subect: Meditation in Lucid Dreams

      NDS

      GENE:
      I am familiar with what you say here.

      In my own such dreams, I have the experience of leaping vastly ahead,
      and of preparing the future for myself. This includes pruning or
      parsing my identity, to the point that I am undistinguishable from
      the future.

      This is no different in 'waking' or 'dreaming'. I admit that I have
      lost the distinction between the two.

      DAVE:
      Hi Gene. I was asked the other day, "how can one define when this
      goes over the line, or when one is dillusional or 'sane'?" There may be
      many answers to this, I for instance have seen many ghosts and
      memories and fears as part of the process of "pruning". Here too, there is
      no doubt that the dream world and waking world are heavily linked, if
      not one and the same. Were those "ghosts" real? I'd say YES they WERE!

      My basic answer was, that "reality" is very relative. This is easy to
      demonstrate, it can be seen that everyone has their own basic
      interpretation of the same thing, and finally THE reality remains
      uneffected. So, in that sense, everyone is dillusional. Finally it is
      the status quo that dictates what is "correct". As you know, even today,
      protection of the ego defines from the outset, dangerous activity ( as
      that which could harm the ego).

      For me anyways, lucid dreaming has been an excellent tool in the
      expansion of the consciousness. It develops the disciplines required
      to examine consciousness limits, and it opens one to the similarities
      between dreaming and waking states, which is a key to the process
      of awakening.... slingshoting one from the "limits of reality" in
      dreaming to the "limits in reality" in waking. There is a tremendous
      similarity after all between those two, and it is that which points
      to THE reality, by contrast.

      GENE:
      If I don't like the future, I don't like myself. If I like myself, I
      like the future.

      I am like the future; when I get there, I will be only what I am.

      Face it, the future haunts like a ghost, making identity squirm.
      Whose footfalls are those, heard upstairs at midnight?

      DAVE:
      I've been looking at superimposed "empty consciousness" and "full
      consciousness" in this last little while, I think that for me this
      exemplifies the sense of future that you elude to here.

      Ale (my wife, who is waiting for the moment to come forward here
      with you all) and I were talking about the "why" of life, and
      this concept of empty / full, fit the bill just perfectly, also
      it is quite synergetic to the article you wrote on incarnation.

      In a nutshell, "what better way to 'illustrate' the truth of
      stainless space, than with it's compliment "full consciousness".

      The beauty is that the two coexist as a perfect dance in creative
      Compassionate Love.

      JUDI and GLORIA on:
      Bubba and Bhagwan Sri Michaelanda

      JUDI:
      On one unforgettable occasion, devotees were sitting in one of the
      meditation halls waiting for Bubba, when the doors opened and a wave
      of energy swept the room. Bubba walked down the aisle, surrounded by
      a clearly visible golden aura of light. He sat down in his chair and
      proceeded to blast the room with his Spirit Power, his eyes burning
      with laser-intensity and his fingers moving in patterns of potent Blessing.
      Instantly, devotees erupted in an ecstasy of screams, growls, swoons and
      bodily jerkings, swpet away by the sweetness and overwhelming Force of His
      Presence. After about 45 minutes of this blissful uproar, the room began
      to quiet down. Bubba shrugged, lit a cigarette, blew a perfect smoke ring,
      and said, "Maybe I've gone too far this time!" :-)

      MICHAEL:
      Yeah! I'm learning to keep it down! :-)
      'Sides, the plebes are starting to get hooked on the vibes. ;-))

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - just bub bub bubbaling along - Michael

      GLORIA:
      Sure now you decide to keep it down!! Geez, we could have danced longer if I
      hadn't
      needed to leave before I embarassed myself. You know what I mean, don't you
      Judi?

      Ohhhhh, Ohhhhh, Ahhhhhhhh
      Glo

      And, the pictures don't even come close to seeing those eyes in person. And
      people
      call Andrew Cohen good looking....bleah. If we would ever take this Dog and
      Pony
      show on the road, we could be devotees of Bhagwan Sri Michaelanda ...no
      acting
      required!! We'll only call him Bubba backstage. Actually, pony rides for
      the kids
      would be a nice touch. Once Jerry gets us some books to sell, we are good to
      go.

      I like the HAHAHAH and HOHOHO! mantra ... and maybe a slogan like
      "Nonduality works
      for me, I sure don't work for it..." The laughing guru, one idea whose time
      has come
      back around.

      Well, we got the charisma guy..the rest of the details hardly matter.

      Gloria

      GENE ANDREW and DAVE
      Identity / Personality

      GENE BEGAN:
      During process of morning waking, one takes only a few slim volumes
      from what is an infinite library, and this is the initialization of
      identity. Being the essence of those few slim volumes, disqualifies
      and thus makes invisible the 'rest' of the library; in this way, is
      an individual made.
      <snip>

      ANDREW:
      What occurred to me reading this post is that identity and
      personality are not the same thing. Nor is personality dependent on
      identity, though identity might be dependent on personality. In fact
      it seems that the less identity the more intense powerful and free
      personality becomes. It occurs to me that perhaps personality
      carries identity as a burden. With a lighter load of identity,
      personality remains. We remain diverse.

      GENE:
      Interesting observation. I give little thought to personality. Yes,
      it does seem that personality carries identity as a burden.

      Perhaps we (everyone) should carefully differentiate between
      personality and identity. I observe that personality is
      'involuntary', whereas identity is the product of clinging. This
      clinging seems to arise during the challenges of social interaction;
      if identity is challenged, more power is channelled to it, similar to
      how in Star Trek, additional power is diverted to the 'shields' when
      Voyager is under attack.

      Long live diversity!

      DAVE:
      How about personality a flavour of identity, and in that sense,
      very subtly provocative and "acceptable". Like if I'm going
      to have ice cream, make it chocolate mocca with cherries.

      GENE and GLORIA:

      NDS

      Hi Gloria, you asked;

      "What do you guys think of this idea of Being/becoming."

      Here is the idea (From Belsekar):

      "The individual self can exist only as a process of becoming, whereas THAT
      WHICH IS is the perennial state of BEING. Therefore, its realization is
      the annihilation of the individual."

      Gene replies:

      I can agree with this statement, but it does need further discussion.

      I see 'becoming' as similar to our changing state awareness of a limb
      which had been 'asleep' through deprivation of blood; as it
      'awakens', we become aware of the details of its dimensions, weight,
      etc. No matter how we try, we can only remember or imagine what it
      was like to have a fully sensitive and responsive limb. When the
      blood flow is restored, the limb is automatically reintegrated into
      the sensorium of the body.

      Similarly, I see this sort of defined 'becoming' as the awakening of
      what was already 'there', and like the above-mentioned limb, the
      awakening process can be quite painful; 'pins and needles' can lead
      one to simply go back to sleep, and to continue to imagine what
      wakefulness is really like.

      Commonly, it is assumed that 'what is not' is 'in the way'
      (obscuring) of 'what is', and that a transformation of consciousness
      is required in order to 'see through the illusion', thus to banish
      'what is not'. Actually, 'what is not' is not, and 'what is', is.
      Becoming is becoming what is; and what is, is becoming. It is a
      matter of restoring circulation; upon restoration, 'what is' is
      everything from nothing to everything. Becoming is simply the I
      opening, gradually or suddenly. Reintegration is inevitable.

      Resistance is futile!

      MARK and GLORIA

      MARK CHRISTOPHER VALENTINE

      The Beloved is a Hidden Treasure
      (For the Mirror)

      "I was a hidden treasure, and I desired to be known; therefore I created the
      creation
      in order that I might be known."
      -Sufi Wisdom

      snip

      The Lover is never satisfied for more than a fugitive moment.
      His burning, burning, burning, longing, longing, longing
      is to become one with the Beloved. To become the wine,
      the holy vessel, and by drinking, drinking, drinking, drinking,
      become one and of the same essence that is the Beloved.

      There is little the Lover can do but futilely attempt
      to stand in the stillness and be present to the Rose.
      And so, for a moment, at least, halt the relentless
      procession of all Creation through devouring time,
      its remorseless expansion into ever retreating space.
      And patiently await, calmly stand, tranquilly sit, until,
      His form begins falling and his essence wafting, until,
      his burning fires his body to ashes and his soul to smoke.

      GLORIA:
      With gratitude for your poetry, here is one for you, Mark.

      [You who never arrived]

      You who never arrived
      in my arms, Beloved, who were lost
      from the start,
      I don't even know what songs
      would please you. I have given up trying
      to recognize you in the surging waves of the next
      moment. All the immense
      images in me -- the far-off, deeply-felt landscape,
      ciries, towers, and bridges, and un-
      suspected turns in the path,
      and those powerful lands that were once
      pulsing with the life of the gods --
      all rise within me to mean
      you, who forever elude me.

      You, Beloved, who are all
      the gardens I have ever gazed at,
      longing. An open window
      in a country house --, and you almost
      stepped out, pensive, to meet me. Streets that I chanced upon, --
      you had just walked down them and vanished.
      And sometimes, in a shop, the mirrors
      were still dizzy with your presence and, startled, gave back
      my too-sudden image. Who knows? perhaps the same
      bird echoed through both of us
      yesterday, separate, in the evening . . .

      ~Rainer Maria Rilke~

      DAVE and ALE:

      Together, Ale and I decided today that Destiny and free
      will combine to define the ultimate roadmap to the identity.

      Destiny is the answer. As Gene said today,

      <
      "If I don't like the future, I don't like myself. If I like myself, I
      like the future.

      I am like the future; when I get there, I will be only what I am."

      One must look at one's position and realize that THIS is the answer,
      right here and now. We have chosen THIS. Any decision that we have
      made to get here was one that we felt better than any other. As such
      we must look at what our rationale is. For many of us, short term
      relief is more important than long term freedom. This is a choice,
      and one that is ultimately responsible for our long term freedom.

      It does little good to critisize otheres or self for having made wrong
      decisions, because at this moment we are as happy as we can be (be that
      what it may).

      In that respect, knowing Self and the Intent of full consciousness
      is vital.

      May the Force be with you.
      nanoo nanoo.
      Dave and Ale

      To a visitor who claimed he had no need to search for Truth because he
      found it in the beliefs of his religion the Master said:

      "There was once a student who never became a mathematician because he
      blindly believed the answers he found at the back of his math textbook
      —and, ironically, the answers were correct."

      Anthony de Mello, S.J.