#4318 - Saturday, July 23, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4318, Saturday, July 23, 2011

      We only come to dream, we only come to sleep;
      It is not true, it is not true
      That we come to live on Earth.

      Where are we to go from here?
      We came here only to be born,
      As our home is beyond,
      Where the fleshless abide.

      Perchance, does anyone really live on Earth?
      The Earth is not forever, but just to remain a short while.

      - Author unknown (to me anyway...)

      Once you realize that there is nothing in the world, which you can call your own, you look at it from the outside as you look at a play on the stage, or a picture on the screen, admiring and enjoying, but really unmoved. As long as you imagine yourself to be something tangible and solid, a thing among things, actually existing in time and space, short lived and vulnerable, naturally you will be anxious to survive and increase.

      Your purpose is to be at peace,
      to love all beings, and to know who you are.
      This is the purpose of life.
      Slowly you will know this and get through.

      - Papaji, from The Truth Is, posted to AlongTheWay

      Once
      In a while
      The fish and I will chat
      In the silent
      Language:

      We look
      into each other's eyes and smiile,
      And they often
      Say,

      "Hey, Hafiz
      We see you know the joy of
      Our existence.

      We see you have discovered how meditation
      Can free you from land,
      Mind, debts, alimony - the
      Whole works.

      And like
      Us

      Let you carouse all day
      In
      God."

      - Hafiz, from The Gift: Translations by Daniel Ladinsky. posted to AlongTheWay

      The Lover is ever drunk with love;
      He is free, he is mad,
      He dances with ecstasy and delight.

      Caught by our own thoughts,
      we worry about every little thing,
      But once we get drunk on that love,
      Whatever will be, will be.

      - Rumi, Quatrain 55, poetic version by Jonathan Star and Shahram Shiva, from A Garden Beyond Paradise - The Mystical Poetry of Rumi, posted to Sunlight

      Birdsong From Inside The Egg

      Sometimes a lover of God may faint
      in the presence. Then the beloved bends
      and whispers in his ear, "Beggar, spread out
      your robe. I'll fill it with gold.

      I've come to protect your consciousness.
      Where has it gone? Come back into awareness!"

      This fainting is because
      lovers want so much.

      A chicken invites a camel into her henhouse,
      and the whole structure is demolished.

      A rabbit nestles down
      with its eyes closed
      in the arms of a lion.

      There is an excess
      in spiritual searching
      that is profound ignorance.

      Let the ignorance be our teacher!
      The Friend breathes into one
      who has no breath.

      A deep silence revives the listening
      and the speaking of those two
      who meet on the riverbank.

      Like the ground turning green in a spring wind,
      like birdsong beginning inside the egg.
      Like this universe coming into existence,
      the lover wakes, and whirls
      in a dancing joy,

      then kneels down
      in praise.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III, 4664-93, version by Coleman Barks, from The Essential Rumi, posted to Sunlight