#4316 - Thursday, July 21, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2011

      #4316 - Thursday, July 21, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Yesterday's clarity is today's stupidity.
      The universe has dark and light.
      Entrust oneself to change.

      ~ Ikkyu

      Active Beauty

      Eventually, I'm going to write a book on what it is to be a "Sensual
      Contemplative". I adopted the description immediately upon reading the
      following passage from my friend James Corrigan's book, An Introduction To
      Awareness
      , while in the bathtub one morning:

      It is interesting to note that so-called Transcendentalists--poets, essayists, and
      philosophers -- have historically been the most minutely detailed and
      intimately connected observers of, and celebrants of, life; rather than the
      most geekish analyzers of its 'transcendental' structure. One thinks of a
      Whitman, Emerson, Thoreau, or Dickenson, not as engineers hard-pressed to
      reverse-engineer existence, but rather deeply contemplative and sensual
      individuals who wanted nothing more than to savor and celebrate the
      intricate flavors of, and their curiosity toward, existence. Their goal was not
      to "get to the bottom" of it, but to fully engage it, in contradistinction to
      those around them who saw themselves as separate and apart from "Nature".

      I remember getting an "aha" chill from my head to my toes, in spite of the hot
      water. Never mind all the distinguished company--I knew I had found the
      taste of my own calling in James' adjectives. Full engagement does seem to
      be the point of living, here.

      Writing about it is sometimes incredibly difficult. A million repeated attempts
      still can't capture the essence of This in its entirety--all I do is split myself a
      million times--and a certain astonishing loveliness lies in the fact that I can do
      just that, and remain whole.

      I'll save the most juicy stuff for that book. But beauty has been much on my
      mind, so let me do a quick, loose sketch...

      Sensuality is "bodying" in awareness, of and with all available senses.
      Sensuality is commonly associated with "sexuality" (the advertised variety),
      and although everything sexual is indeed included in what I am trying to
      describe, there is a deeper, wider field of experience in which genitalia are but
      minor conduits of erogenous energy. The world, in fact, is full of an intimacy
      both erotic and altruistic, desiring and giving at once, born when one is
      willing to be a union of total fullness and utter individuation.

      There is heightened physical sensation, as well as deep sensitivity to shifting
      thought/feeling arising in and through cells and organs. I think of this motion
      as a sort of energetic language, in which all elements of oneself are in flowing
      communication--local physical organism, environment, and beyond--as far
      "out" or "in" as one is willing to extend. Boundaries between the
      sense-pathways loosen, and a kind of synesthesia (joining of senses) can
      happen.

      Contemplation is far more than thinking or mentally processing data. It is
      intricately entwined with sensuality in that it is actively listening, tasting and
      opening within the field, the entire presence of self-in-moment. It dilates and
      contracts like the pupil of an eye, effortlessly, unplanned. Logical thought
      happens, a pale shadow of the larger intuition and cross-languaging going on.
      Ideas appear, but always shimmering with the countless threads connecting
      them to everything else. Contemplating is being completely present to what
      is. What is, in spite of all the varying elements, is one, incredibly obvious
      non-thing.

      A "sensual contemplative" could simply be a human with a superhighway
      between the left and right hemispheres of the brain...or a mystic shaken out
      of the slumber of illusion...or a madwoman. All of these descriptions seem
      apt at one time or another. None of them can touch the act, the fact, the
      sacrifice and celebration of being, here. The point of all this deep feeling is the
      sheer beauty of it. Beauty is always the "trigger", the attraction, the embrace.

      Again, I'm speaking of a different order of beauty than smoothness,
      symmetry, or waist-to-hip ratio. I'm talking about the sensation and
      awareness of beauty that precedes and outlives a judgment call. I'm talking
      about the gorgeousness that is literally in the eye of the beholder, a touch so
      deep that one is what one sees, hears, feels, smells--"I" and "That" express
      the same beauty...which is, after all, what we are. It is an active, dynamic
      principle, rather than a static wish or image "over there".

      Full engagement--with suffering, joy, humanity, spirit--happens when I am
      subsumed in this beautiful ongoing stream, where the past is gone but always
      here, transforming, and the future never but always here, transforming. The
      motion is so eternal that it's still. The space behind is so vast that it allows for
      a perfectly earthy, intimately felt sense of location that I tend to call "me".
      How can this be? I don't know.

      Maria Smith's blog is "Liminal Light"