#4293 - Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2011
      #4293 - Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Dear Jerry:

      I have been a fan of the ND highlights for over three years now, and while I am still learning much about advaita, I never fail to enjoy the daily excerpts and wisdom.

      I had to pass this along, mainly because I didnt know how to answer him appropriately:

      My son, who just turned six, and I went fishing for the first time in awhile over the weekend.  It was a perfect day, and we were catching them as fast as we throw our line in.  It was great to get him away from Wii, I phones etc to spend some time outdoors.  Out of the blue, he turned to me and asked, "Dad, is all of this real, or is it a dream?"

      Wow, did that hit home.  I am of course weighed down by so much intellectual baggage to answer him with a quick definitive "yes or no".  But I did say I wasnt sure, and that it was a great question.  And, dont stop asking it.

      How would you have tacked that one, responding to a six year old who may be wise beyond his years? :)

      S.L.

      Dear S.L.,

      Thank you for writing and for being part of the great Highlights audience.

      I'll give my response and also invite the Highlights readership to respond.

      You took the question seriously and invited him to pursue it. You let the question stand unanswered suggesting that the asking is what is important. The question is as significant as any inquiry. I wonder if he'll continue to periodically ask the question. Please give us updates on his relationship with the inquiry.

      Your story reminds me of the YouTube video David After Dentist, the seven year old boy, coming off anesthesia, asks a couple of powerful questions about reality, and throws in a primal scream:

      Thanks again for your letter, it makes for a great Highlights issue!

      Yours,
      Jerry