#4292 - Monday, June 27, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2011

      #4292 - Monday, June 27, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Selling Water by the River

      In speaking regularly with spiritual seekers, it dawned on me one day how
      addicted so many of them are to the power of charisma. They swap stories
      about how powerful this or that teacher is and compare experiences. They get
      a charge from it, many mistaking charisma for enlightenment. Charisma
      attracts at all levels: political, sexual, spiritual, etc., and it feeds the ego's
      desire to feel special. The ego loves getting hits of power—it's like a form of
      spiritual candy. The candy may be sweet but can you live on it? Does it make
      you free?

      Freedom is not necessarily exciting; it's just free. Very peaceful and quiet, so
      very quiet. Of course, it is also filled with joy and wonder, but it is not what
      you imagine. It is much, much less. Many mistake the intoxicating power of
      otherworldly charisma for enlightenment. More often than not it is simply
      otherworldly, and not necessarily free or enlightened. In order to be truly
      free, you must desire to know the truth more than you want to feel good.
      Because if feeling good is your goal, then as soon as you feel better you will
      lose interest in what is true. This does not mean that feeling good or
      experiencing love and bliss is a bad thing. Given the choice, anyone would
      choose to feel bliss rather than sorrow. It simply means that if this desire to
      feel good is stronger than the yearning to see, know, and experience Truth,
      then this desire will always be distorting the perception of what is Real, while
      corrupting one's deepest integrity.
      _________________________

      Enlightenment has nothing to do with states of consciousness. Whether you
      are in ego consciousness or unity consciousness is not really the point. I have
      met many people who have easy access to advanced states of consciousness.
      Though for some people this may come very easily, I also notice that many of
      these people are no freer than anyone else. If you don't believe that the ego
      can exist in very advanced states of consciousness, think again. The point isn't
      the state of consciousness, even very advanced ones, but an awake mystery
      that is the source of all states of consciousness. It is even the source of
      presence and beingness. It is beyond all perception and all experience. I call it
      "awakeness." To find out that you are empty of emptiness is to die into an
      aware mystery, which is the source of all existence. It just so happens that
      that mystery is in love with all of its manifestation and non-manifestation. You
      find your Self by stepping back out of yourself.

      more:
      First published in the Inner Directions Journal, Fall/Winter 1999. © 1999

      Today I Awoke

      Today I awoke, finally I see the Self has re-turned to the Self.
      The Self is none other than the Self.
      I am deathless. I am endless. I am free.
      The birds outside sing…
      The birds outside sing and there am I.
      The seeing of leaves on the trees, that seeing am I.
      The body breathes, breathing am I.
      I am awake and I know that I am awake.
      Seen from the old eyes, everything is asleep, a game, a delusion.
      But now I am awake. I am the play. I am the game. I am the delusion.
      I am the enlightenment I sought, looking everywhere.
      Nothing is separate, nothing is alone.
      I am all that I see. All that I smell, taste, touch, feel, think and know.
      I am awake and this awakeness is the same as Shyakyamuni Buddha’s.
      Today the leaf has returned to the root.
      I am all name and form and beyond all name and form.
      I am Spirit, no longer trapped in a body.
      I am free. I am free because I am awake.
      So ordinary. Who would have thought ? Who could have guessed?
      I am home. I am really home. Ten thousand life times.
      Ten thousand life times but today I am home.
      Ten thousand life times but today I am home.
      This is not an experience. This is me.
      I am awake. Finally, I am awake.
      Nothing has changed, but I am awake.
      Before I tasted the root many times and felt, how delicious.
      Today I became the root. How ordinary.

      ~ by Adyashanti. From: My Secret is Silence: Poems & Sayings …

      Rest and Be Taken

      When there is deep abundance
      there is nowhere to abide.
      There is nowhere to rest
      or grasp onto
      and yet there is rest

      The sky abides
      yet it never rests.
      Neither can we say that
      the sky is not always at rest.
      We talk about the sky
      as if it were something
      as if it actually exists -
      and yet we cannot say that
      the sky does not exist.
      The sky is nothing but
      coming and going.

      Everything is perfectly spontaneous.
      The coming and going arise mutually
      instantaneously.
      If the true I is asleep
      you will miss the point entirely
      and you will continue to dwell
      in the world of opposites.

      So see the two as one
      and the one as empty
      and be liberated
      within the world of duality.

      At first it seems
      as if begoing follows becoming.
      But look even closer
      and you will see
      that there are only
      flashes of lightning
      illuminating the empty sky.

      Life and death
      becoming and begoing
      are only words.
      In order to save your life
      you must see that you die
      instantaneously
      moment to moment
      instant to instant.

      Now where are you going to abide?
      And where are you not abiding already?

      Indeed there is nowhere
      to rest your head
      and there is nothing but rest.
      So let go of all ideas
      about permanence and impermanence
      about cause and effect
      and about no cause and no effect.
      All such notions are dualistic concepts.

      The Truth of what you are
      is completely beyond all duality
      and all notions of non-duality,
      and yet it includes duality
      and non-duality alike.
      Like an ocean
      that is both waves and stillness
      and yet un-definable
      as waves or stillness.

      The truth of being
      cannot be grasped by ideas
      or experiences.
      Both waves and stillness
      are the manifest activity
      or your own self.
      But self cannot be defined
      by its activity
      nor by its non-activity.
      The truth is
      all-transcendent
      ungraspable, all-inclusive
      and closer than your own skin.

      A single thought about it
      obscures its essence.
      The perfume of true life
      is right in your nose.
      There is nothing you can do
      to perceive it
      and yet you must do something.
      I say:
      Rest and be taken.
      Rest and be taken.

      ~ by Adyashanti. From: My Secret is Silence: Poems & Sayings …

      - from My Secret is Silence: Poetry and Sayings of Adyashanti, by Adyashanti

      To read more poems:

      http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/A/Adyashanti/index.htm#PoemList

      www.adyashanti.org