#4281 - Thursday, June 16, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2011

      #4281 - Thursday, June 16, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      At night, I open the window and ask the moon to come and press its face
      against mine. Breathe into me. Close the language-door and open the love
      window. The moon won't use the door, only the window. ~ Rumi
      posted by Cathy Gintner on Facebook

      Yes I thought about this song by Waterboys going to the pier on the other
      side to see if the moon was visible.

      .

      Unicorns and cannonballs, palaces and piers

      Trumpets, towers and tenements, wide oceans full of tears

      Flags, rags, ferryboats, scimitars and scarves

      Every precious dream and vision underneath the stars

      Yes, you climbed on the ladder with the wind in your sails

      You came like a comet, blazing your trail

      Too high, too far, too soon

      You saw the whole of the moon

      http://www.ferryfee.com/Bluesky/Eclipse.html
       [see eclipse series at link]

      Thanks to everbody : )

      posted by Alan Larus on Facebook

      The Gift of Gravity
      (excerpt)

      All that passes descends,
      and ascends again unseeen
      into the light: the river
      coming down from sky
      to hills, from hills to sea,
      and carving as it moves,
      to rise invisible,
      gathered to light, to return
      again. "The river's injury
      is its shape." I've learned no more.
      We are what we are given
      and what is taken away;
      blessed be the name
      of the giver and taker.
      For everything that comes
      is a gift, the meaning always
      carried out of sight
      to renew our whereabouts,
      always a starting place.
      And every gift is perfect
      in its beginning, for it
      is "from above, and cometh down
      from the Father of lights."
      Gravity is grace.

      ~ Wendell Berry ~

      (The Gift of Gravity)

      [The Panhala poems are a gift of Joe Riley, consider subscribing.]

      So you've cut up your hide and stretched it,
      pegged it down to dry with definite,
      sharp-pointed desires,

      but have you planted any fruit trees
      for the next generation?

      Wisdom offered you is like a ball
      thrown at a boundary post,

      useless as molasses fed to a tawny bull
      to help it give more milk!

                  - Lalla
                   14th Century North Indian mystic

      posted to Along The Way

      The Sun Interview

      Against The Grain: Peter Coyote On Buddhism, Capitalism, And The Enduring Legacy Of The Sixties

      “There is no exact line between inside and outside, or between self and other. . . . Show me where the world ends and you begin.”
      By David Kupfer

      Excerpts:

      1)
      Kupfer: But your generation did transform the U.S. political agenda.

      Coyote: No, I don’t think we did. We lost every one of our political battles: We
      did not stop capitalism. We did not end the war. We did not stop imperialism.
      I can’t point to real political victory.

      Culturally, however, we’ve changed the landscape dramatically. There is no
      city in the United States today where there is not a women’s movement, an
      environmental movement, alternative medical practices, alternative spirituality,
      organic-food stores. That is a huge and powerful development that I think will
      eventually change the political system.

      Kupfer: So the political system is the tail on the dog, the last thing to change
      in the culture?

      Coyote: Politicians are not leaders; they are followers. They think that,
      because they can plunder the public treasury, they are leading. In fact they are
      terrified of the people. The people are a problem for them to manage, and
      when they can no longer manage them, they must follow them, or oppress
      them.

      2) Coyote:
      I don’t think theater has ever been a vehicle for radical change. Theater is a
      vehicle for deepening knowledge about the human species. I am not even
      sure that the system has to change. People have to change. If people behaved
      with self-restraint, generosity, and compassion, even capitalism could work.
      We are never going to create a system that generates fairness, equity,
      goodwill, and justice. I became a Buddhist in part because I believe that
      change like that has to start internally and be expressed one person at a time.
      It is true that a system can advance or repress certain attributes of human
      behavior, but no set of rules is going to make us perfect.
      3)
      Kupfer: Did practicing Zen Buddhism take you inward and away from your
      outward activism? How do you reconcile the desire to change society with the
      Buddhist philosophy of accepting reality?

      Coyote: The practice of Buddhism in no way changed my commitment to
      political work. I did take about ten years off while I learned to pursue politics
      with less anger and attachment to specific outcomes. There is no exact line
      between inside and outside, or between self and other, so either-or
      dichotomies like “inward versus outward” are not really descriptive. Show me
      where the world ends and you begin. Buddha did not urge people to “accept”
      everything. That’s a colloquial, Western misunderstanding. He preached a
      radical transformation based on what worked. He was the ultimate social
      activist who introduced concepts and practices that have revolutionized
      humankind. He was not a navel-gazer.