#4275 - Thursday, June 9, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2011
      #4275 - Thursday, June 9, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Proof by Investigation

      by Colin Drake

      If you sit quietly you can easily notice that:

      There is effortless awareness of every thought appearing in the mind.

      There is effortless awareness of every sound detected by the ears.

      There is effortless awareness of every sight detected by the eyes

      There is effortless awareness of every flavor detected by the taste buds.

      There is effortless awareness of every smell detected by the nose.

      There is effortless awareness of every feeling detected by the nervous system.

      There is effortless awareness of every sensation detected by the nervous system.

      Therefore the physical mind/body is an instrument through which awareness can sense and contemplate the physical world.

      So the body/mind is an instrument through which awareness can experience the physical world, for experience is awareness of thoughts/mental images/sensations.

      The body/mind is also an instrument through which awareness can interact in, engage with, and enjoy, the physical world.

      This is all fairly straightforward and undeniable.

      Now as soon as we add the rider that ‘I am awareness’ this becomes:

      Therefore the physical mind/body is an instrument through which I can sense and contemplate the physical world.

      So the body/mind is an instrument through which I can experience the physical world, for experience is me seeing my thoughts/mental images/sensations.

      The body/mind is also an instrument through which I can interact in, engage with, and enjoy, the physical world.

      All of which are clearly the case, so if the first (previous) set of statements are true and this latter set are also correct this conclusively proves that ‘I am awareness’ is also true!

      To put this into Aristotlean logic:

      Premise(s) One:

      The physical mind/body is an instrument through which awareness can sense and contemplate the physical world.

      The body/mind is an instrument through which awareness can experience the physical world, for experience is awareness of thoughts/mental images/sensations.

      The body/mind is also an instrument through which awareness can interact in, engage with, and enjoy, the physical world.

      Premise(s) Two:

      The physical mind/body is an instrument through which I can sense and contemplate the physical world.

      The body/mind is an instrument through which I can experience the physical world, for experience is awareness of thoughts/mental images/sensations.

      The body/mind is also an instrument through which I can interact in, engage with, and enjoy, the physical world.

      Conclusion

      I am awareness!

      For if M/B = In(A)  and M/B = In(I) then I=A.

      In the above argument there are three occurrences of this strengthening the argument that I = A(wareness).

      From this conclusion that ‘I am Awareness’ there are many amazing and liberating discoveries to be made, many of which are pointed to, and discussed, in my books: A Light Unto Your Self, Self Discovery Through Investigation of Experience and Beyond The Separate Self, The End of Anxiety and Mental Suffering

      Read excerpts and order Colin's e-books for immediate download at