#4272 - Monday, June 6, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2011

      #4272 - Monday, June 6, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "A fella ain't got a soul of his own, just one great big soul, the one big soul that
      belongs to everybody." ~  Tom Joad in The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck

      posted by Cullen Anderson to Facebook

      By Alan Larus

      see more:

      revolution!

      we are in the midst of a great turning and it is an auspicious time to be alive

      by john malkin

      adam avruskin

      The revolutionary movement for sustaining life is unfolding and blossoming
      here and now. In fact, it is inevitable and exactly what we are made for. This
      is the message from Joanna Macy, long-time activist, Buddhist scholar and
      philosopher of general systems theory and deep ecology. Through empathy
      and compassion — connecting with ourselves and others — we are
      consciously turning a critical, troubled time in the history of humankind into a
      life-enriching and life-sustaining interrelationship with the world. As Joanna
      puts it, it is now a time when it really matters what we think and how we act
      because our survival depends on it.

      interview

      John You have said that we are living in a time of a Great Turning. You call it
      the third turning of the wheel of dharma, a time when we are experiencing a
      revolutionary shift from a society based on industrial growth to one based on
      life sustainability. What evidence makes you feel that this shift is occurring and
      how is this view different from simply having hope?

      Joanna I am so glad that you are starting with that because the concept of
      Great Turning has been of enormous help to me and my colleagues around
      the world, particularly at a moment when, on the surface of things, there is so
      much bad news and many setbacks. Environmental controls are being eroded,
      military contracts are being awarded and preemptive war is the order of the
      day.

      Many great thinkers of our era have been teachers to me. They see that we
      are in the midst of a revolution that is as significant in its magnitude as two
      other recent revolutions. One is the agricultural revolution, which took
      centuries; and much later came the industrial revolution, which was quicker.
      Now, right on the heels of those revolutions, comes this revolution.

      John Why is the current revolution inevitable?

      Joanna It is inevitable because the industrial growth society is not sustainable.
      We are already on overshoot, as we say in systems thinking. Or, it is a
      “runaway system,” where we have already exceeded the renewable limits of
      the resources and have already exceeded the capacity to absorb the wastes
      that we have dumped into air, soil, water and earth. So we have just a little
      time left. We cannot continue at this rate.

      Then we can look around and see that this revolution is happening particularly
      in certain dimensions. It has been useful to think of them in three dimensions.
      The first is in the holding actions to slow the damage, what many people
      think of as activism. The second is in the new institutions, such as organic
      farming and alternative health care. And finally, the third dimension is the
      perceptual shift in consciousness.

      This revolution is happening and we don’t know if it will succeed or not. And
      that is a very useful thing to confront and recognize right on. There are no
      guarantees in life. And we don’t know if the systems that sustain life will
      unravel, thanks to our assaults upon them, before the life-sustaining society
      structures really are set in place. But that is always the case. When you put
      seeds in the ground, you don’t know if you are going to have a bumper crop.
      Or if you go into labour, you don’t know if you are going to have a healthy
      baby. So we have this enormous privilege in our time of being alive in a
      historical moment when what we do — how we relate, how we think, how we
      move ourselves about — has enormous effects. That is a great gift. A sense of
      meaning for our lives is right there and is something quite grand.

      I just want to tell you this quote I heard the other day: “The essence of an
      adventure is not to know the outcome. The essence of a joyous adventure is
      not to need to know the outcome.” This is the great adventure of our time
      and it can transform every part of our life. And in the meanwhile, our hearts
      break all over the place, as we see the huge losses that are being incurred. We
      can’t stop those losses. We can’t stop all of them, so our hearts are breaking,
      our minds are opening, and our hearts are opening. We are weaving
      connections for the future. [...]

      John There can be the view that one must choose between “being” and
      “doing” or between being active in social change or involved in spiritual
      growth, or addressing our own suffering versus addressing the suffering of
      the world. I think that there is a similar dichotomy present between beliefs in
      science versus religion or mind over matter. Do you think there is a possibility
      of a third, combined, non-dualistic way of viewing and living in the world?

      Joanna Well, that is one of the exciting things about being alive right now.
      That old dichotomy has been breached. It is so boring, anyway! (Laughter)
      There were years and years where there was debate whether it was more
      important to get enlightened first or get psychoanalyzed first or get your head
      straight first before you took action, before you climbed in the barricades. Or
      vice versa: “I must stand on the barricades first in order to earn the right to
      focus on myself. I have to take care of these terrible injustices. I can’t have
      any rest while there are still the homeless on the streets, and then I can sit on
      the zafu.”

      I think these ideas are tragic and that this kind of polarization has turned a lot
      of people from doing either well. The Great Turning helps me to see that the
      truth is that you have to do both. And in a way, you have to do both at the
      same time. At least not see them as sequential, that you do one first.

      This revolution we are in takes all of these norms and shakes them up and
      intermingles them so that you don’t know when you take an action whether
      you are going to be finding yourself in the midst of great mysterious
      awakening when you are just going out to collect signatures for a petition.
      The change is so deep and it will affect every part of our lives. It won’t be
      easy, but it won’t be all that hard because a different kind of strength comes
      through us.